back to article Israel's data protection laws given EU approval

Israel has formally joined the list of seven countries whose data protection laws are considered strong enough for companies there to receive and process personal data from companies in the European Union. The European Commission has formalised a decision taken last October to deem Israel's data protection laws 'adequate' for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

So how?

Can som many companies utilise offshore call centres that aren't in one of the approved Countires?

(answering my own question, I'm suspecting they use VDI, so technically does the data ever leave the UK?)

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Funny how Israel is "in" the EU for this

But outside it for pretty much everything else*

*Except the Eurovision song contest?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re Funny how Israel is "in" the EU for this ...

Read the article again - its not saying its in the EU at all - going by your standards then it is also claiming that Canada is....

1. Patrick O'Reilly
        Flame

Canada is in the EU

Of course Canada is in the EU, their main languages are English and French, both European languages. And their head of state is the Queen of England, thus they are in the EU. (of UE as those Quebecians call it.)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Law is one thing

Sorry, but I wouldn't want my data under the control of the Israeli government and legal system, any more than I would the Argentine, though for different reasons, both are equally untrustworthy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

VERY BAD

I'm already very concerned about personal data being made available for governments to be "inspected".

The US has a policy that companies need to allow for "inspection" AND NOT tell the customer about it.

Given the zionist regime dubious track record, I can only be assured that at least the same would apply for data handled by companies from that "country".

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

re: Very Bad

What a pathetic ignorant comment.

1. We are not talking about the US

2. Why describe it as 'zionist regime'? Do we talk about the UK as being a 'mildly right wing regime'? Perhaps we should start calling France 'slightly more right wing regime'? What do you reckon?

3. It is a country so putting country inside a set of quotation marks just shows your lack of knowledge and your deep rooted stupidity. Either that or you have a problem using a keyboard correctly.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

I don't like being watched by big brother or any other evil regime ...

"FLAME WARNING"

That you ignore the Zionist track record and call me ignorant and stupid, shows quite a lot about you ...

It is a "country" created out of guilt, at the expense of the local population which still need to suffer daily for this. As long as the local population has to suffer and are denied their rights, everything which would help the Zionist regime can only be considered "evil" ...

1. Raggs

Local population?

I can tell you the local population are doing just fine. If you mean the people in Gaza, then I'll agree they aren't doing quite so well at the moment, but when you're leaders place you in a constant state of war with the country next door, whilst they control almost every aspect of your life, well you'll likely suffer.

If Wales started shooting rockets daily at England, and made it their manifesto to wipe England off the map, do you suspect perhaps that England would do something about it?

The damn place was almost empty until the Ottomans turned up and then was just considered part of Syria, and even then it was just scattered populations (a large number of whom were Jewish). It was a malaria infested swampland, surrounded by desert and highlands. The whole Middle east was artificially created by the English and the French, why do you think half their borders are straight lines?

The whole area is mucked up, but the "locals" were mostly shipped in by whichever empire happened to be in control at the time, as opposed to people who had lived there for any time. The only people that had lived there for a good period of time were the Jews and the Bedouins (and them more because they wander around as they wish).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Yikes with a schmikes already!

"data protection laws are considered strong enough for companies there to receive and process personal data from companies in the European Union."

A very scary thought!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad decision

The Passports for Murder scandal showed the Israeli government to be an identity thief of the worst kind imaginable, and it chose several EU citizens as its victims. Israel’s government also has no qualms about abducting people from EU countries such as Mordechai Vanunu. It’s incredible to think that the EU has given Israel such a status of trust with Europeans’ private data. Would it give the same status to Iran if they promise to install an anti-virus?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bad decision

Hmmmmm so the the UK and US don't do the same thing? Wake up and smell reality

2. Tempest
      FAIL

Israel adopted the U.S. model of international diplomacy and behaviour ....

such as lying and cheating against 'friendly' powers, anonymous rendition, breaking undertakings not to copy passports again and again.

And yet the UK gives huge monetary grants to these freeloaders annually whilst denying it's ow citizens essential funding.

Just like the U.S.A.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

UK Gov data hosted from Israel????

Maybe we should get Israel companies now to compete for UK IT Govt/Police Projects.... they will probably look after it more and probably thier eqivalent of the UK's ICO will have real balls and Machine Guns....

1. TimNevins
      Thumb Down

Errm

"UK IT Govt/Police Projects.."

They have been running security for London Underground since 1999

So expect more Lavon Affair/Liberty incidents to occur as a result of this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Re: Errm

No they haven't. I suggest you check your facts. An Israeli firm supplies the CCTV cameras to the Underground network, a contract which was awarded in 2004

1. TimNevins
          Stop

Definitely more...

Nice try

Google "ICTS" and "Verint" and "Fortress GB" for the facts.

Definitely more than supplying cameras.

1. Anonymous Coward
            FAIL

Re: Nice try

Verint supply cameras (as previously noted) and Fortress GB is a subsidiary of ICTS which provides smart cards......

Next....

8. smegged
    Thumb Down

Israel

Certainly not happy this apartheid regime has access to any sensitive data, don’t have a great track record on... well about anything really.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: israel

They have better track record at keeping data secure than most of the UK government departments or contractors......lost MOD laptops in taxis /trains and lost USB sticks spring to mind

9. Matt 21

Wolf promises to only eat vegatables

just a likely as Israel respecting these laws.....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comments

Funny how any mention of Israel brings out the stupid and ignorant and their comments

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

EVIL REGIME

What you call funny ...

Anything that legitimizes the Zionist regime is a bad thing and should be treated as such !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Evil regime

I refer you tot he post earlier about regimes...... the words stupid & ignorant also appear

11. M7S
    Joke

At least it will now be easier to have replacement passports issued

however finding who's got the one in your name might be a challenge

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like