back to article Firefox 4 now one beta away from Release Candidate status

Firefox 4 looks set to have just one more beta pushed out before Mozilla shifts the forthcoming browser to its Release Candidate stage, making the whole thing ready for showtime within the next few weeks. "There are currently fewer than 20 'hard' blocking issues which have been identified as requiring beta coverage [1] and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. xj25vm

Seriously?

One article for every beta and sub-version they put out?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Unfortunately yes

It's a shame that the much superior Opera that smart people will be using, doesn't get this much attention.

I'm guessing this "news" is written by a Firefox fanboy, that assumes it's the best browser because someone told him once.

1. Greg J Preece

Wow, you're right

El Reg never write articles about Opera Betas!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/23/opera_11_beta/

2. Not That Andrew
        Flame

@ Anonymous Fanboi

I use Opera, but you are the sort of drooling fanboi that reminds me why I never visit the Opera website.

3. SilverWave
        Linux

Respective number of users perchance?

Well it could be a conspiracy it you really squint I suppose...

4. DrXym

Grow up AC

You might think you're smart and advocating Opera but actually your noise is having the opposite effect. After all who would wants to use Opera if it turns them into an obnoxious, militantly stupid zealot?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Be Fair!

There's an article about IE9 today, as well ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Seems too buggy for RC yet...

Just dumped the current beta. Very sluggish at times - seems well short of prime time to me.

1. DrXym

Works pretty well for me.

Some earlier betas have had some pretty ropey, intermittent behaviour - (possibly gc related) pauses, weird focus problems. The latest beta 11 has been pretty good for me though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Luddite Here...

As long as I can make it look like 3 I'll be happy

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hotmail borked

Hotmail also seems to be broken in the latest beta

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gates Horns

Hotmail

Hotmail breaks and fixes itself daily. I think it's actually a living entity now...

/tinfoil hat on

I wouldn't dally on it, seems like ms' attempt to get people back on ie, it's fucked daily in any other browser. (chrome/ firefox/ opera)

2. squilookle
      Go

Maybe...

rather than making Firefox 4 work with Hotmail, Mozilla could just use the fact it doesn't work in their marketing to promote Firefox 4 as the most secure version yet? :D

(I use Hotmail, but not as my main account. It's the one I use to sign up to things if I think I'm going to get spam in return)

5. Laie Techie

Every Firefox Beta?

I think Firefox 4 is almost to the status of Duke Nukem Forever in that it's taking forever to be released. Firefox has been plagued by bugs which keep pushing back the expected release date. That's the real news, the reason beta releases get so much coverage at El Reg.

1. JC 2
      Alert

@ Every Firefox Beta?

It's called RESPONSIBLE development, backing of a release date till bugs are fixed... unlike a certain monopolistic giant that didn't need to bother with such /trivial/ things in the past.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opera is better

I find it particularly distasteful that a newsworthy article on Firefox gets headline space when Opera is such a fantastic browser that even looking at the Opera icon gives me a deep warm glowing feeling inside. Seriously Reg, why can't we have Opera stories every day? :P

1. Greg J Preece

Dear Downvoters

I do believe that was sarcasm on AC's part. Unless you're Opera fans, in which case you may continue with the Great Crusade.

2. SilverWave
      Linux

Full of proprietory FAIL? Just a thought.

You know I'm right.

7. illiad

Yes, Opera, is 'better' BUT....

A lot of sites do not work right .. even simple ones like http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/ where you scroll to the bottom, and select the part of the country you want - it changes color, and then opens a new page - opera does nothing at all, not even color...

It is a shame that they have this great program, but refuse to make it more attractive to the public or advertise it more... I have given up on their forum, they are just too snobbish about feature requests, and change features and functionality to only their own agenda...

This topic is closed for new posts.