back to article Samsung intros 10in Android tablet

Samsung has taken the wraps off a 10in Galaxy Tab slate, this one running Android 3.0 Honeycomb. Vodafone has the exclusive. Beyond these points, the 10in, 1280 x 800 Tab's spec largely matches that of its 7in predecessor. The camera on the back is 8Mp, but who's going to be taking snaps with a monster 246 x 170 x 11mm snapper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ByeLaw101

Spec is different.

"Beyond these points, the 10in, 1280 x 800 Tab's spec largely matches that of its 7in predecessor. "

I thought it ran on the new Tegra2, which is significantly different from it's predecessor?

2. Martin 76

USB?

No USB port, and yeah agree... Need Wifi only options please.! Prefer the 7inchers personally, for size wise, but the orig. tab is too expensive IMO! This yeah I think there will be loads more droid tabs on the market, and will see whats around later in the yeah!

3. hexx

have i seen it somewhere?

... oh yes, i have

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i'd rather wait

"No word yet on availability or pricing - a lot, we'd say, given the price of the 7in model"

i would think that rather than price themselves silly, they would reduce the price of the galaxy tab and the galaxy s.

with competing products from other manufacturers, samsung would need to rethink their pricing.

ditto for the dell streak as well. it just doesn't make sense to buy one at the current price.

5. BorkedAgain

Nice face...

...shame about the legs.

Shows potential, and it's nice to see credible options, but seriously. Its backside is fugly...

Wifi-only option under £200 would fly. Possibly carried by pigs. ;)

6. Miek
    Linux

Stickers !

Looks great until you see the back of the device with those rather naff stickers stuck on it.

7. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

Misery

All this partnering with network operators is all very well, but when you live, as I do, in a VodAlone void, then Mr Smasung is cutting off my nose to spite his face.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, two things..

WiFi only model and increase the battery... this is the 7" versions current edge over the iPad and it won't get better with a bigger screen

9. DrXym

Why even bother with a camera on the back?

Who is seriously going to hold up a slab to take a picture like this? It seems like an added expense a tablet could do without.

1. rob miller
      Thumb Up

full print size photography

actually when I lust after a tablet, the lack of a high res (hopefully good quality) back-facing camera is the first thing that cuts a model from my list of consideration. perhaps it is my 30-odd years of serious photo experience that again sets me apart from the norm, but being able to see the full-size image in my hands AS I take the photo -- and then manipulating it with my fingers just like in the darkroom days -- that's my killer app.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"30-odd years of serious photo experience"

And that's going to be happy with the rubbish image generated by the camera ?

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Depends on what you want to get out of photography

Google "Lomography" - for some photographers, it's not how precisely the camera captures the image that matters...

That aside, I think I'd rather look at a whole album of photos taken by someone with the experience to know what makes a good photo even if they used the crappiest camera on the planet to take them all, than just one photo taken with the best quality camera science and engineering can devise, wielded by someone who thinks that carrying a top quality camera is sufficient to turn them into a top quality photographer.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Agreed

You think that, I think that also, but there seems to be a few people who think every piece of tech they own must have a camera. Mp3 player, phone, games console and so on.

It is convenient to not need to transfer images to it, but given the poor camera in the last Samsung it just appears to be an afterthought.

Imagine holding a 10 inch tablet up at a concert blocking the view of the concert for those behind. I somehow think you would be taking home a broken tablet.

3. Thomas Davie
      Headmaster

Actually...

It's very useful for a tablet. My primary use case for such a device is sitting on the sofa chatting to people on skype... If I want to switch to showing them the baby instead, the back facing camera is absolutely a boon. I don't get why it needs to be so high res (especially when it certainly won't have the optics to match), but it's certainly useful.

4. Lottie

Google goggles

There is software that uses the camera, so why not? I can imagine the enhanced reality apps that are out would benefit from the larger screen, so I see it as a bonus.

10. dave 93

meh

no price, no battery life details - and what happened to all the crowing about '7 inch good, 10 inch (iPad) bad'?

11. Timfy67
    Coat

@Miek

If you worry about what the stickers on the back look like, then I'm afraid that you are firmly in the Apple demographic!

12. Matt Bucknall

@Stickers !

Agreed, they seem to be more proud of the thing's CE marking than anything else!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ugly

The back is ugly, so this is sure to affect how the tablet functions. If they made it a little more shiny, I'm sure it would function better, like the ipad.

1. BorkedAgain
      Paris Hilton

Yeah, I know...

All the macho alpha-geeks are moaning about the "ugly" comment, 'cos tech SHOULD be ugly, right?

Well, I'm sorry but a tool that you're embarrassed to pull out in front of a client is a tool that stays in your satchel instead of being useful. I'm all for function over form, but form's a factor too.

Difference between you and me: I recognise the importance of form. Difference between me and a fruity-fanboi: I don't over-emphasise the importance of form.

La.

(Paris appreciates a well-formed tool... Obviously...)

1. dogged
        Grenade

*nods knowingly*

He carries a "satchel".

"cough"MANBAG*cough*

1. BorkedAgain
          Happy

Touche, sir.

...And barely introduced at that...

14. Old Cynic

just got meself an advent vega

While everyone drools over these new tabs, i picked up an Advent Vega for 250 notes. 10" screen, multi-touch, android 2.2, decent screen res, decent battery, hdmi at 1080, micro sd and usb for good measure.

Dual core tegra at 1GHZ is good enough for anything and angry birds looks amazing, there's some kind of display hardware smoothing going on.

Don't know why all the fuss about these new pads....

1. BorkedAgain

I looked at that...

How do you get along with it switching off its wireless with the screen? I understood that was a hardware thing, and therefore not something that could be fixed by rooting it...

Tempting, mind. Deffo. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like