back to article Man buys Eee PC, erases Linux, installs Mac OS X Leopard

An enterprising Eee PC user has managed to install Apple's Mac OS X 10.5, aka Leopard, onto his tiny laptop - though he quickly saw the error of his ways and replaced the OS with the previous version, Tiger. Blogger Dan, posting on Uneasy Silence, notes that anyone attempting the maneouvre needs not only an external DVD drive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron
    IT Angle

Why is this news?

Its not like this is the first time anyone has done this, the hackintosh community has been installing apple OS X on pc hardware since it x86 compatibility was added.

So he installed an OS that demanded more from the machine than its hardware could deliver, again this isn’t exactly news especially having seem many old computers running copies of xp or even vista while falling far below the minimum spec.

Don’t get me wrong prop's to the guy for playing around with the Eee PC, it rates a forum post certainly, but a news worthy headline?

Guess its a slow news day.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Any Old Excuse to Show that Pic

It just gives El Reg an excuse to show that pic of Paris Hilton installing MacOS on her Asus Eee.

3. daaaave
    Go

Don't you get it?

It's another excuse to show the picture of the blonde...

4. lucmars

Typo

I think that you wanted to write "de rigueur" instead of "de rigeuer", no?

5. sheepdog
    Dead Vulture

@ Why is this news?

Because it gives another opportunity to show that blonde on a beach picture.

Actually the article is a bit like comments you get from mountaineers: We climb it because it's there.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

WiFi probs with Leopard?

Surely not?

Still, good to know it doesn't work with the wrong hardware, as well as with the right hardware. Consistent if nothing else, eh?

7. Ross Fleming
    Pirate

Legality

"We'd also point out that a copy of Leopard that you've purchased is also de rigeuer."

Probably not enough really - I'm guessing the Eee PC doesn't have an Apple TCM. Effectively you're modifying Leopard to get around that which I reckon Apple would be miffed about (they'll lose a hardware sale)

8. Giles Jones Gold badge

I have 5 Leopard licences

I have two Macs and three spare licences. Apple don't make such a small laptop and I might consider this hack.

I don't like carrying an expensive laptop around all the time, £220 on the other hand is much less of a problem.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Arnold Lieberman
    Alert

Why does everybody keep saying that the processor is 900MHz?

When Asus underclock the thing to about 600, and there's no easy option in the BIOS to speed it up again?

Lazy, lazy journalists...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like