back to article Geeky gifts for Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is almost here, which unfortunately means delving into pockets for the first time since Christmas in a bid to keep our other halves interested. A bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates used to be all it would take to lead to a touching embrace, but times have changed and while roses remain a nice sentiment, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

This all seems expensive and/or tacky. Something that follows these guidelines might be more practical: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20051218&mode=classic

Also, speaking from personal experience, learning to give a half-decent massage yourself will be appreciated far more than a mechanical device.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
    Stop

Nope

Don't want any of those. I mean seriously - a plastic candle-shaped night light? And the Wildfire has a crappy screen, get a Desire instead...

3. TrickyRicky
    FAIL

not a good choice

Wildfire+angry birds= frustration

4. Ginsoakedboy
    FAIL

Angry birds fail

Last time I checked, Angry Birds didn't run on the Wildfire., due to it's odd resolution screen.

A terrible omission on an otherwise excellent phone!

5. Tzael

Bit late?

I'm thinking that a guide to geeky Valentines gifts at this stage is a bit late - having said that I just bought one of the Kaldera candles for myself so it doesn't matter if it's not here by the 14th :)

6. Peter Kay

Polaroid fail..

You'd be much better recommending the Polaroid Pogo - works with most modern digital cameras and phones that have a decent bluetooth implementation (i.e. not an iPhone). Cracking fun at parties..

Also, the product and film are less than a third of the price and it comes in black, red and pink

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

@ hmm...

Depends on the mechanical device ;-)

8. Leona A
    Heart

pricey

Well sadly I can not see my partner buying me any of those, though I do like the candle and the USB stick ideas. Though I 'am' that one who has the 'Creeky' outdated hi fi tech, including a record player (remember those, when music was music (and not binary code :) )).

If I'm lucky it'll be a nice meal and a cosy night in cuddled in front of the telly. oh well.

1. Marvin the Martian
      Dead Vulture

I'm with you here.

They were indeed the only two things I considered buying. All the rest: I didn't get the memo that valentine loot is now supposed to break the 50quid barrier, and break it badly!

[A 2100quid philips big screen tv?? Seriously? Since when are valentine nicknacks supposed to eat up living room space for the next 5 years??]

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

(Red)

"Product (Red), a charity for those who perhaps loved too much."

Any need for this ignorant and prejudiced comment against a group of people with a chronic disease?

1. n3hima
      Heart

Exactly

I read this and immediately thought that it showed a shocking ignorance on the part of the writer. AIDS is far from trivial and certainly not something to joke about.

I would have expected better of The Register.

10. YumDogfood

How about...

...abandoning the consumerist tat shop and other Feb 14th specific wanky shit and concentrating on oooh, I dunno... the relationship? You know, taking time out for each other. Its love baby!

The most important thing I share with my g/f is *time* and she feels the same way. We can and do treat each other, but its about *us* and not throwing material goods at each other as a bad proxy for showing some genuine affection and caring (all year round).

1. The Original Ash
      Thumb Up

Stop being a bad consumer

You'll never help the economy by staying in and canoodling on the sofa all night. Go out and buy some meaningless paraphernalia and printed card with trite slogans and do your bit for England!

11. [Yamthief]
    FAIL

Really??...

Are you seriously expecting someone might get a 2100 quid Panasonic TV for Valentines day?! Who the hell are you guys going out with? Rihanna/Beyoncé?!

1. Captain TickTock
      FAIL

Read fail...

...it's a 2100 quid *Philips* TV they're suggesting you get for Valentine's Day

12. CADmonkey
    Coat

Hang on....

I thought <3 meant "I fart in your general direction'

This explains a lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nah,

you're thinking of 3<

Or is that the symbol for diarrhoea?

13. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

egg shaped transmitter

Does it have a vibrate mode??

PH, natch.

14. Ben Rosenthal
    Heart

the better half

already has a wildfire (before getting together with me obviously), went for some kinky/romantic stuff from Ann Summers, and a Jabra bluetooth headset because I know she is desperate for such a thing but is a technophobe.

Oh and a Tim Minchin DVD to watch while we eat the Ben cooked meal with a few pre mixed cocktails, if I'm not smiling tomorrow, then it's all a farce and a sham! ;D

Happy Love Day <3

15. Gift Genie

Perfect Gift

How about a USB mix tape? Trés romantic and perfect for a gadget lover. http://www.peoplelovepresents.com/presents/mix-tape-usb-memory-stick

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like