back to article Kournikova worm marks 10th anniversary

Friday, 11 February, marks the 10th anniversary of the outbreak of the Anna Kournikova worm. The malware spread by tricking users into opening a mail message that supposedly contained a picture of the famous Russian tennis beauty. In reality, the malware harvested a victim's Outlook address book, forwarding fresh copies of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: huh

Delete yourself. Who cares that you don't care?

2. JimC

The Last paragraph

Of Cluley's item in the Sophos link was something of a keyboard destroyer for me! Recommended...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

VB in email

Another Microsoft triumph of intelligence and foresight. Perhaps trumped by the shear fuckwittery known as Active-X. Yes , I'd download an untrusted binary onto my PC and run it! Not. Thanks , Morons in Seattle.

5. Anonymous John

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear Anna

Happy Birthday to you

1. Kevin Johnston

Hippo Birdy

You forgot to ask to pass the song on to everyone who knows you...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

You now owe...

... AOL TIme Warner $0.05

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

10 years on....

....and still they click !

7. Youngone Silver badge
    FAIL

10 years? Can't be.

I had to remove this worm from a client's PC. Twice. In the same week. Seems the client in question was a big fan of Miss K, and was very keen to have a look at some photos of her. Very keen indeed.

8. DZ-Jay

The first?

>>"The Kournikova worm was the first to be created by someone with a toolkit and little technical knowledge"

I keep reading about these supposed "first" in the era of "macro" and VBScript worms, ignoring actual history, and all that came before.

I remember playing with something called NuKe's Randomic Life Generator back in the early 90s. This was a do-it-yourself virus construction kit, which employed a nifty menu-driven interface to create viruses (or mosters, as it called them) with pre-built code modules offering diverse destructive or stealth features. With just a few keystrokes you could create a polymorphic, boot-sector virus that would crash your drive and try to hijack Norton anti-virus to spread.

Before that there was also VCL: Virus Construction Laboratory.

Boy, those were fun days!

dZ.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like