back to article Street View to invade Israel?

An Israeli ministerial task force will next week begin to consider whether it's a good idea to allow Google's Street View spymobiles to prowl the streets of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Google is apparently keen to add Israeli cities to its territory, and last year acquired local startup Quiksee as a prelude to a planned invasion. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Why?

Just, why? What's the motivation for letting them do it? It'll only cause the government the exact same problems lots of other countries have experienced and something tells me they've already got a few things to be getting on with as it is. Is there a large sum of money on the line somewhere?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Should improve efficiency

Should make it easier for would-be virgin-botherers to choose the optimum bus route to heaven. Just remember, SuBo might be waiting up there...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Street View

Am I the only one who has found Street View useful? It makes looking for houses a lot easier because you can see all the stuff that estate agents don't tell you about - like the motorway 10 metres away or the railway line at the end of the street.........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Agreed

I've found it handy when visiting a new place to look it up on Street View first. You can see what the parking will be like, where that tricky turn comes up and which pubs or shops to look out for as you approach.

It does give you an odd sense of deja vu* when you actually get there though.

4. TakeTheSkyRoad
    Thumb Up

Historians Dream

I hope they make it because whatever the implications are for us today this is a gold mine for future historian or researchers wanting a simple snapshot of everyday life. Everything else committed to storage is twisted by prespective (Fox News), is too personal (family snaps) or has other issues (films being set in real places).

There's other sources like CCTV of course but that's nowhere as comprehensive as street view and recordings are unlikely to still be around in decades to come.

So you a stab at immortality get on streetview !

Preferably in a noticeable way like those Norwegian frogmen :)

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

Ah the terrorist bogey man again!

If you're that determined to meet your maker and take a lot of innocent people with on the trip, having a slightly better view of the target is not going to change anything is it? If you're a nutter, you are going to find a way to be a nutter, that's what nutters do!

Most nutters have managed quite happily to blow stuff up without any assistance from Google and the internet in the past, so I can't see the availability of Street View offering much more than a few nice pictures of the site they will find your various apendages scattered over, when they come to mop you up!

1. Arnold Lieberman
      Thumb Down

Sitting comfortably?

Presumably you don't live in a war zone or other hotspot of unpleasantness?

Of course these people will take advantage of any opportunity to maximise the effects of their operations. Noticing that there's a bar or a pizza restaurant on the bus route might just encourage the handler (who is going to be the one sending the special text message) to time it just right for maximum effect rather than blowing their mule up outside an empty shop front or car park.

6. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"do not allow certain areas of cities to be photographed "for security reasons"."

What about the areas where they regularly oppress a minority group with forced relocation?

First person to spot a Palistinian getting duffed up on streetcam wins a bacon sandwich.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Live in?

They choose to live there. It's an occupied area. If the Israelis were so bothered about defending their freedoms, they'd make it a secular country and just live in peace with people they may not agree with but have an equal reason to be there. It's just that they can't. And it's the Jewish that are to blame for that.

As for the Street View problem - sorry, what do the Jewish Israeli state have to hide?

Quite a lot, it would seem.

8. bugalugs
    FAIL

Israel, established 1948

<>and its enemies don't know where the Prime Minister lives ?</>

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like