back to article iPad TWO: What, already?

The Wall Street Journal reckons production of the iPad 2 is already ramping up, concurring with the majority of rumours surrounding the device. The iPad 2 will, according to those stalwart "people familiar with the matter", be thinner, faster and equipped for video calling. It will also apparently run across Verizon and AT&T …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig 12
    FAIL

Apple

Not spotted they do most things annually?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Crimes against the Planet

This constant pumping out of upgraded models at such a speed is no different to the iphone, and any one throwing away a perfectly good machine just to get the latest one needs locking up for crimes against the planet. In fact, Jobs and co should all be locked up. Do they simply not care what is the impact upon the environment and the level of natural resources? Of course Apple are not alone, but someone has to take the lead and influence positively insteaf of churning out yet another marginally useful gadget.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Wow...

A tech reader who hates new tech? Wouldn't you be happier over at greenpeace.org?

2. Code Monkey
      Troll

Clam down dear

That is all

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

re: Crimes against the Planet

A lot of the discarded tech ends up on eBay, or being passed on to family and friends, so no loss there. People who just dump it will be conspicuous consumers, so target them and their culture rather than blaming Apple (or any other manufacturer of "premium" goods).

3. Dick Emery
    Thumb Down

Who cares? No really.

I hate all this speculation crap. It's not 'news'. It's just pandering to the Apple hype machine. All news outlets should just shun any of this 'speculating' nonsense for real news. Apple laps this stuff up. It's just free advertsing for more of their junk. I bet it won't sport an SD card slot or any other connector except the usual proprietary connection either.

Please stop posting these worthless articles.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Dick Emery

The headline and tagline seemed to be pretty clear that this would be a story containing mainly speculation about the upcoming next generation Apple iPad.

Might I humbly suggest in future that firstly you don't waste your time reading stories you obviously have no interest in, and secondly that you then resist the urge to post your displeasure at reading an article that was clearly about what it fucking said it would be about after you shouldn't have read it in the first place.

Or, to paraphrase some useless, whiny twat whose name escapes me:

"Please stop posting worthless replies"

4. David Hicks

Why is there what appears to be a razor ad?

In the middle of the story?

Weird...

So Apple finally caved and are putting a forward facing camera in the new one?

Well let me be the first to say DUH!!!

This form factor is perfect for video calling, they missed a trick with the first model. Unless of course it was part of the plan all along...

New iPad 2! Does all the shit you assumed the first one would do!

1. Elmer Phud

Who

Well yeah, think of 'Won't Get Fooled Again' - without the bloody CSI visuals, thank you! -

'Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss'

Not a huge amount of difference between the razors - how much difference will there be between iPads one and two given the time between releases?

(and if there is a big difference , recent iPadv1 owners will be a bit narked)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pricey shaving mirror

Well lets face it: with a screen that stupidly reflective they do make perfect shaving mirrors, albeit on the pricey side for such a task (don't mix well with the water in the bathroom either sadly!)

5. JDX Gold badge

It's coming with a shaving app now?

Would be handy to have an iPhone with built-in razor I suppose. It could auto-tweet "I've shaved".

1. bluesxman
      Go

Coming April 2012

iShave

Only Apple sanctioned facial and under-arm hair styles will be supported*. Weird-Beards and Continental women need not apply

Jailbroken iShaves, used for the purposes Brazilians for example, will be frowned upon.

New blades cost the Earth can can only be installed at official service centres.

*Leg shaving functionality will be added in a firmware update.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

erm..

Where is the news?

1. Haku
      Dead Vulture

yes, where is the news?

"What we still don't know is when the iPad 2 will appear on the shelves, how much it will cost or what functionality Apple is keeping back for the big bang launch."

Translated: "iPad 2 is coming and we haven't got a fucking clue what the details are, except the iPad 2 is coming and we're just posting any old shit about Apple products to get page views and banner clicks."

In other words, you're posting speculation for the sake of posting speculation.

NIce journalistic integrity there...

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: yes, where is the news?

Well, you clicked. That makes you part of the problem, no?

Come on, there are CAPS in the headline, what more do you want?

1. Haku

Re: yes, where is the news?

I would expect this kind of 'article' from an average blog site just fishing for page hits & ad revenue, but The Register is not an average blog site which is why I return almost daily, please don't sink to those levels.

2. OrsonX
          Happy

Sarah Bee: 1 Haku: 0

No it's not news, but we all love to speculate on what the next iProduct will bring!

Perhaps the new iPad will be razor sharp, no?

7. TonyHoyle

So.. exactly the same then

Video calling.. meh. Got it on the PC, the phone, etc. and never used it.

With no other changes, I'm not seeing the point in the update.

8. ColonelClaw
    Thumb Up

Nostrodamus eat your heart out

So the WSJ has predicted that a computer company will be bringing out a new and improved model to replace an old one? Wow! Impressive!

9. Disintegrationnotallowed
    Coffee/keyboard

Gillette

hahaha coffee spitting funny

10. Drew Scott
    Alert

Ubiquitous?

"In America that's a big deal, but the rest of the world has ubiquitous GSM."

Also be quite a big deal in China, where they have a much larger installed base of CDMA than GSM.

1. EricSobo
      Alert

The Register forgets about Asia

South Korea and Japan are almost fully CDMA, and India is split similar to the US (Tata being a big CDMA primary). I've noticed before that The Register regularly forgets that technology is used in Asia and not merely built there.

11. BorkedAgain
    Thumb Up

I quite liked the razor thing.

Pointing out the worthless hype, I guess.

C'mon. Pro glide? Are there any *professional* shavers out there? I don't remember seeing it on ESPN.*

* I've never watched ESPN.

12. Charles 9

Call me when an iPad...

...or any other tablet, for that matter, gets some form of color e-Ink (Mirasol, electrowetting, etc.) and as a result has a battery life good enough for most of the day.

1. uhuznaa

"battery life good enough for most of the day"?

The current iPad already runs for about 10 hours in active use and 30 days in standby. For me this IS good enough for most of the day, in practical terms... (not that I have an iPad, mind you).

1. Charles 9

Fine print.

From another article: "Steve says that iPad will offer ~140 hours of continuous music playback provided the screen display is turned "off" while the battery will last for ~10 hours if you use it for reading books. Steve says that the iPad chip [A4] doesn't use much power but the screen does. I guess the numbers would be similar for web surfing as well."

Video playback is likely to drop the number somewhat. Anyway, it has its issues in daylight conditions. The screen's the big battery-killer of most portable systems, and a color e-ink screen (one that only consumes power when it updates and doesn't need a constant backlight) will really help in that regard. Plus the displays are reflective and better suited for daylight operations. Yeah, I know this means they'll be harder to read at night, but so were paperbacks back in the day.

13. ttuk
    Jobs Horns

this is how apple make money....

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

14. noboard
    Flame

Sir Pentonbury Smithe

"What we still don't know is when the iPad 2 will appear on the shelves, how much it will cost or what functionality Apple is keeping back for the big bang launch."

I'd have thought the tech they deliberately leave out for version 3 would be more interesting.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

1. David Hicks

After hours of peering at SSL hex dumps

I wasn't thinking very metaphorically. So sue me!

16. ArkhamNative
    Jobs Horns

What are the chances

Murdock's US biz rag is publishing rumors and leaked info on an unreleased Apple product? Will Steve get mad and pull their new "The Daily" iPad app?

I know, probably not. But one can dream...

17. David Lucke

Re: So.. exactly the same then

"Video calling.. meh." ... "With no other changes, I'm not seeing the point in the update."

Granted, we've not exactly seen anything to set the world on fire yet, but don't discount the bit about it being thinner. Thinner = lighter, and one the big stumbling blocks in using the original iPad as an eBook reader has been weight. This change will make it a lot more usable in that role.

Its worth noting, incidentally, that the increase in resolution doesn't need to be as good as the iPhone 4 to look the same. The whole point of the Retina display is that at 10-12 inches viewing distance, the typical distance for the iPhone, 300ish DPI means the human eye can't distinguish individual pixels. Because the iPad is typically used at around twice that viewing distance, you can get that same inability to distinguish pixels with a smaller DPI. How much smaller, I haven't a clue, but whilst the new iPad won't be shooting for 300, it may well be shooting for that smaller magic number, and thus may well look just as shiny as the iPhone4.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eh?

Thinner=lighter?

What?

I have a 1mm sheet of lead and a 10mm sheet of polystyrene - guess which is lighter!

18. Tony Paulazzo
    Coffee/keyboard

Nothing to see here...

>A tech reader who hates new tech?<

What new tech? A camera? maybe slightly faster, slightly thinner, slightly better resolution.

Marketing gimmick all the way.

If the release had included Flash, microsd slot and USB with front and rear facing camera AND slightly thinner, faster with higher resolution AND HDMI out AND the same battery life I would call it a worthwhile upgrade - might even help Apple keep their part of the tablet market share.

IMHO.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

who cares

unless you're over 50, over 100K eur/year ?

;-)

AC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like