back to article Iranian state telly bins foreign cuisine

Iran has banned cookery programmes featuring foreign fare in an attempt to combat the threat of alien nosh to the nation's gastronomic identity. According to the Washington Post, the deputy head of Iran's state broadcaster Ali Darabi, announced the clampdown during a visit to one of the country's 30 state-run TV channels. He …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder why people think i'm stupid......

...don't answer your own questions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iran & Pizza

Great pizzas to be had in Isfahan - at one establishment the owner trained in the UK, has a degree in engineering from UCL and his pizzas are fantastic.

As long as they don't ban the food, there won't be an uprising because of this. State TV is rubbish, that's why satellite dishes are popular and the BBC Word Service is listened to (even though there is much distrust of the UK thanks to the TV series/books My Uncle Napoleon).

1. Steen Hive
      FAIL

Uncle

"even though there is much distrust of the UK thanks to the TV series/books My Uncle Napoleon"

Eh I think you'll find "My Uncle Napoleon" ridicules the idea of blaming the British for everything - even though the machinations of BP alone could have legitimately engendered such distrust without any help from literature.

4. Robert Ramsay
    Thumb Up

chicken stuffed with cherries!

omnomnomnom

5. Blofeld's Cat
    Happy

The cake is an unpatriotic lie

Can WE ban Jamie Oliver and the rest as well please.

Apart from Heston Blumenthal of course, anyone who considers vacuum chambers and liquid nitrogen as catering equipment has my full support.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FULL Support!

How generous. What does your full support involve?

2. nobby

surely

surely you wouldn't want to bar Nigella from our screens would you?

I gather some people watch her with the sound on, but I've not met anyone who does

6. Paratrooping Parrot
    Happy

Stuffed Vine Leaves

I love stuffed vine leaves. yummmmmmmmy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Abdu-dinner-jacket

...has been sniffing the uranium too long to come up with this beauty.

Don't worry about the big stuff, like budget deficits, sanctions, the environment, energy crisis etc...just distract the peons with high profile, controvertial bollox like this.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Iranian cuisine is brilliant

Iranian cuisine can stand it's own against foreign muck. It's brilliant at mixing fruits with meats and making great savoury froods. The state should be saying how good Persian food is not banning foreign foods. It makes the state look scared and out of control because it has to stoop to such draconian measures - which it does at every turn.

My favourite - khoresht-e fesenjan. Chicken stew in a pomegranate-walnut sauce. Yum yum yum.

whats4eats.com/poultry/fesenjan-recipe

1. FanMan
      Happy

At last, a useful piece of information on El Reg

Thank you, you anonymous coward you!

2. John Gamble

Re: Iranian cuisine is brilliant

Yep, marvelous food. There are two such restaurants in my neighborhood, although they call themselves "Persian" restaurants -- this pre-dated the hostages situation, so it seems they chose that because they wanted to.

Anyway, I consider myself lucky to have these restaurants here, and whenever I visit a friend who moved away, I bring her a container of fesenjan sauce, which makes her very happy.

9. Wommit

And anyone who breaks this ban...

...will be forced to eat only English food.

That'll learn 'em.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

"What's the blandest thing on the menu?"

Go For an English - Goodness Gracious Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdo79znnHl8

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mad.

Iranian food is also mild - I took a friend to alounak in Bayswater who was expecting heat and spices.

Mostly it's herbs, saffron, tumeric and dried limes. Don't just stick with the chelo-kebab, it's all great stuff.

Funnily enough the best burger I had was in Tehran...

11. Tigra 07
    Thumb Down

Crazy!

Is this the same Iran that recently banned stylish haircuts and can now arrest people and have the police shave their heads?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Laws are made to be broken

I am a regular visitor to Iran and can tell you that everything is illegal but nobody cares.

People take little notice of the law compared to the uk.

Woe betide you if you upset the wrong people though as suddenly you can have a rap sheet a mile long just going about your daily business.

13. Paul Johnston

نوش جن

We have Iranian state TV at work and It is truely boring to watch but the food is something else!

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

The Ali-Darabi

What a great name for a Persian-inspired Pizza!

15. Patrick 17

Bit pointless

All the takeaway food I had in Iran a couple of years ago was perfect. The meat was absolutely delicious and all the veges were very fresh.

It's good if they're going to act to prevent the awful fried chicken and crappy hamburger shops that you get in the UK.

Though, I can't see the point of restricting the TV channels -- much of the population have satellite dishes and can receive foreign TV.

16. Richard Cartledge
    Unhappy

Boof Boof

In Iran they have boof boof chicken and fake KFCs (Kabooki Fried Chicken) that even have pictures of Colonel Sanders but are nothing to do with the Amercian joint.

The biggest complaint I have of food in Iran is that it is always served lukewarm.

17. Gordon861

Hamburgers?

"an unpatriotic taste for pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs"

HAM ... You sure? I can't really see a country like Iran that is so heavily Muslim exactly taking a liking to pork based products.

After all we all know that the Middle East problems would be solved if they'd all just sit down with a bacon sannie and talk about it. Everything is better with bacon!

18. rciafardone

So.. Anyone still doubs that....

Iran is a full fledged democracy?

Actually it is, and thats the problem, a true republic with minority rights and personal freedom is what most people are actually talking about when they say democracy. Democracy is just the rule of the mob.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like