back to article Sony Ericsson confirms PlayStation phone

Sony Ericsson has confirmed the imminent launch of the Xperia Play, promising a full revelation set for 13 February, just ahead of Mobile World Congress (MWC). The Sony Ericsson Facebook page, states "Android is ready to play" and shows a familiar image of the PlayStation phone, along with that eerie commercial we were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jord
    Thumb Up

If only...

I wasn't just 8 months into my 2 year bloody phone contract. Whatever happened to the 12 month contracts of yesteryear?

<sigh>

2. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

wait... wasn't it on sale on some Asian website?

talk about the worst kept secret! What is there to know about this upcoming phone? The type of networks it will support?

3. Damien 3
    Thumb Up

Teaser trailer for the Android Xperia Play

Sony have produced a very cool teaser trailer for the Xperia Play / Sony playstation phone

http://sonyplaystationphone.co.uk/home/index.php/component/content/article/2-sony-playstation/19-sony-playstation-phone-xperia-play-advertisement-android-is-ready-to-play.html

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmmm!

Me wants! Well not the phone... but I'd like the android PS content to be available on my Galaxy Tab... Its deserves good games.

1. Highlander

It's more than just a PlayStation phone, it's PlayStation Suite.

The thing is that this announcement is way more significant than just a new phone. Sony announced PlayStation suite that means that any android device that meets the minimum specification to run PlayStation Site will be able to play PS1 games and any new ones created within the PlayStation Suite framework.

Considering the crap and disorganized way in which gaming is handled on the Android market place, I think this is a stroke of genius. Sony goes multi-playform (intentional typo) and extends the PlayStation brand. So your Galaxy may well be able to participate in all of this. Certainly most new Android phones will. Though the Sony one has the advantage of the physical controls.

What's going to be interesting is Apple. Apple recently bounced Sony and Amazon's e-book readers from the App store because both Amazon and Sony wanted to sell content directly to users of their application. the way I understand PlayStation Suite is that you have an account (PlayStation Network no doubt) and can purchase PSS content through that, not the Android market place. So if PlayStation Suite(PSS) was going to the iPhones and/or iPads, Apple will have to give ground. Don't anyone hold their breath on that one. Sony are more likely to restore OtherOS functionality in the PS3 than Apple are to backtrack.

1. AF

Not quite

Amazon's reader app (Kindle) hasn't been bounced from the App store - it's still there.

What has happened is that Apple have decided they want all apps to allow content purchase from within the app (thereby giving Apple a cut) if they also allow purchases outside the app store - which is what the Amazon approach is at the moment.

From a user experience perspective this makes perfect sense, and from an Apple point of view ($$$) it's a complete no-brainer, but it remains to be seen what Amazon will do - will they let Apple get a cut of their sales, or will they call Apple's bluff?

5. Bunker_Monkey
    FAIL

One wonders if..

6 months after launch... they decide to stop supporting it! Just like the Vivaz and Xperia X10!!!

6. Pahhh
    Thumb Up

uhhmmmm....

Difficult. I somewhat married to the iPhone although must be said like the idea of this phone.

I know its Apple and Sony, but I cant help myself, I like their stuff......

@bunker - I suspect Sony going to try hard on this one. Its going to be a survival move getting the PSP on phones due to the drop in sales both Sony and Ninetendo have recently experienced.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like