back to article NASA snaps Sun in super STEREO

NASA has released the first images from its twin Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory (STEREO) probes as they moved into position on opposite sides of the Sun. STEREO image of the Sun. Pic: NASA The above snap shows the far side of the Sun captured on 2 February, when the two spacecraft weren't quite separated by 180 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coming soon to Sky 3D

The Sun.

(it's an extra fiver a month to get it in HD)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Ooooh...

But does it have Page 3?

2. Tom Chiverton 1

Coor

Where did you get that bottom photo - top background material !

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Coor

Here you go:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stereo/multimedia/beauty1.html

3. Andy Fletcher

Presumably...

knowing about a massive solar event that's going to destroy life as we know 6 months before it happens will make all the difference - we'll all, for one, have the opportunity to make millions buying shares in the companies that make the paper bags we'll all be putting over our heads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or spade makers

...so we can bury our heads in the sand.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The sun spins

The sun rotates on its axis once every 24 days at its equator, and about once every 34 days at its poles. During those 24-34 days, the Earth moves, so a point on the sun faces the Earth about every 26 days. A part of the sun we cannot see will face Earth in about 7 to 21 days, not six months.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Sun tans

Hope those sats have got some serious sun-cream if they're staying up there for 8 years.

Yes, yes...I'm going.

5. JeffyPooh
    Pint

By the way, there's an app for that

"3D SUN" by Dr. Tony Phillips, LLC.

It's free. And very very good.

(iOS Apple, not sure about other platforms...)

6. Matt Piechota
    Flame

Old Hat

So when is the QUADROPHONIC mission scheduled to launch?

1. Gavin King
      Boffin

Hmm

The "QUite ADvanced Remotely Operated PHOtographicly Nimble Imaging Contraption" perhaps?

7. Luther Blissett

"spitting flares and clouds of plasma"

OMG is Wm Blake alive and well and living at NASA?

Blake was a noted naturist - you'd (almost) hardly expect him not to be, given his (more famous) aversion to dark, satanic mills. But I have to wonder whether Blake at NASA today might not have got a bit weary by now of this neverending cosmological voyeurism, the space-tourism-syndrome-by-proxy, the tedious enthusiasm to flaunt yet more holiday snaps of strange places away from boring old Gaia. He would recognize the oddness of being so blase about technology.

One needs some sort of explanation along those lines to account for the scant progress made in astronomy since satellites and telescope have multiplied data millions of times since Sputnik. The common IT confusion between data and information won't cut it, as astronomy is not (yet) software engineering. Why, one might ask, have so few theories been falsified by all that data?

Case in point: bottom picture. Source is not credited, so what I may be seeing is merely a processing artefact, but I see something axisymmetrical. Something like a planetary nebula, which more and more can be seen in detail to have axial symmetry. My question is: where is this predicted in Eddington's theory of stars?

1. VulcanV5
      Happy

And did those feet, in naked times. . .

The naked truth about Blake is that he was a noted naturist?

Are you really, really sure about that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like