back to article PSP playing boy plunges onto railway

If you didn't think platform games could be hazardous to health, just ask the boy who plunged onto a railway line while engrossed in his PSP. The youngster was captured on video walking off the edge at Lorento station in Milan while distracted by his console, a video on Italian site YouReporter shows. The blasé bambino was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. neb
    Thumb Up

bugger...

...proof that ACAB isn't true

2. semprance

Yay

Another story that will paint the PSP as the baddy rather than the child's neglectful family.

Shame on them.

1. Code Monkey

The child is an idiot

For once I don't blame the parents.

2. Jabbra
      Stop

I dunno...

All kids wander away from parents from time to time. Hardly fair to label the parents 'neglectful'. And besides, a neglectful family wouldn't waste their money on a PSP, that kid would have a ball on string if he were so lucky. If anything the kid needs to pull his finger out and wake up.

3. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Stop

I take it you are not a parent then?

Kids do stupid things, that's hopefully what they learn as they grow up, DO NOT DO IT AGAIN! I take it you never did anything stupid when you were a kid either? Your upbringing must have been very, very boring indeed!

When I was 6 I jumped out of a moving car ( no child locks on a 1969 motor! ), it was only doing 10mph but I bounced on the tarmac my Mum who was driving, panicked and I spent the night in hospital. My Mum went mental at me for being a complete idiot, but she never made the same mistake again and I learned that moving things and jumping don't often mix very well!

Kids do stupid things. Hopefully not fatal, they learn, you learn. That's a fact of life!

3. Oliver Mayes

Not a darwin candidate

Children cannot qualify for Darwin awards as they're considered too young to have learned better. Same goes for the mentally disabled. (Menaing 'actually' disabled, not just clinically stupid)

1. Bonce

"Learning better"

And what better way to learn better?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Replicating?

I thought the age was fixed at whatever age dumb people are susceptible to procreate (meaning that in the UK dumb kids in Burberry gear would qualify from the age of 12).

4. wibble001

A title is required

Playing a "platform game" on a PSP whilst playing a "falling of a platform game" in the real world perhaps?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good work that guard!

Also, very funny.

6. Anonymous John

Things come in threes.

First the woman who fell into a fountain. Now this kid. Who's going to be third?

1. Code Monkey
      Pint

It's Friday

There'll be falling over/into things/onto things aplenty going on in and around city centre boozers the length and breadth of the UK. I'm not sure which you'd pick as the 3rd.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damned Police

"The blasé bambino was snatched to safety by an off-duty policeman before the train pulled in. "

Don't the police understand Darwinian selection?

8. Adam T

Lucky lad

Certainly beats walking into a lamp-post!

It's going to take him a lot longer to live it down now that the entire school has access to video footage of it...:)

1. Anton Ivanov
      Badgers

Yeah, definitely

Done that one myself. Walked into a lamppost while reading Roger Zelazny a couple of decades back. So no point to blame it on PSP. A good book can be as dangerous if not even more.

In any case, the kid is lucky not to have something broken. Falling that "flat" onto a steel rail and not having a broken limb or at least broken ribs is a serious piece of luck.

9. The Unexpected Bill
    WTF?

Peripheral vision?

I've just to ask, even though I know there is no way to prove it. Don't these people have or pay attention to their peripheral vision?

I suppose there could be some kind of disorder that makes peripheral vision not work, although anything like that doesn't spring readily to mind.

1. seanj
      Headmaster

Erm...

Tunnel vision, perhaps?

I know, not grammar nazi as such, but still thought it was befitting the comment....

2. LaeMing
      Boffin

Kids don't have good peripheral vision - it is a developmental thing.

Though this one is about the age when adult-qualtty peripheral vision starts to develop. That is why kids under 12 aren't supposed to be riding bikes on the road - they are not physiologically equipt to see sideways.

10. Paratrooping Parrot

When reading or playing games

I normally sit down when playing games or reading books. When I am using my mobile to send an sms, I usually move to one side of the pavement and stand still while writing the sms.

I sure hope that the child has learnt his lesson and that others watching it will also learn the lesson.

11. David Glasgow

Mt Nintendo DS obsessed 10 year old said 2 things:

1/ The problem is that the PSP screen is too wide. A DS would be fine, because you would see the drop round the side

2/ What was he playing?

He He He.

12. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

Playing in the traffic?

Wandering around on a railway platform or for that matter by the side of a busy main road whilst you are distracted playing a computer game is about as stupid as it gets. Oh and yes, it is his parent's fault. They after all were allowing him to use the bloody thing under those circumstances, were they not? Message to all parents: Indulging your little angel can under certain circumstances get him/her killed. Try a little common sense and discipline, hopelessly old-fashioned I know but, hell, it may actually work. Your little wonder may even survive to become an adult capable of walking straight and chewing gum at the same time.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

PSP =

Play Station Plummet, obviously.

Not very smart.

expect the latest PSP FW update to have "Caution, use of this product is not recommended while walking/cycling/etc as it may lead to serious injury" a la DS.

AC, because Sony will probably have me poloniumed or something for posting this...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lucky Kid

The kid's lucky. If he fell on a track in SE England he would probably have died. I've seen it happen. It's not pleasant.

Railways are dangerous places, a fact which should be beaten into kids at an early age.

15. FozzyBear
    Grenade

Not exclusive to Kids

Try walking around Sydney during the day and any number of adults with earphone buds in are completely oblivious to the world around them. Instinctively I have stopped a couple of them walking out into traffic. I must try to curb my instinct along with the one that makes me want to rip out their earphones and ram their ipod, iphone mp3 player into their face after knocking into me without so much as a sorry

16. Arctic fox

@AC re: Lucky Kid. Surely you mean drummed into them........

.........at an early age? Though now I come to think of it that doesn't sound much less brutal either!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like