back to article UK's Supreme Court greenlights Twitter usage

Text-based communications such as tweeting on micro-blogging service Twitter will be allowed in Blighty's Supreme Court for some cases. “The rapid development of communications technology brings with it both opportunities and challenges for the justice system," said Supreme Court President Lord Phillips. "An undoubted benefit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey
    Stop

How about

They all put their fncking phones down and take court cases seriously?

1. smylar

No Jury

Though I like the sentiment, this is the supreme court, which as far as I know doesn't do Juries - so it isn't about Jurors tweeting etc. when they should be concentrating on the case.

So unless the Judges are doing it it shouldn't be a problem

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Highest Court in The Land

The BBC had a great documentary about the UK Supreme Court the other night. I came away from it with a far greater respect and appreciation for the justices.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

wtf ?

A sensible, measured forward looking judgement from a UK court. I must be dreaming.

4. JaitcH
    WTF?

The higher the court, the more arcane the arguments

The juicy stuff in a trial goes on in the lower courts where all sorts of information is input in to a case.

One case I remember centred on the word 'may' as in "if you find there is insufficient evidence you MAY find the accused not guilty". This word went through several levels of appeal and ended up in the Canadian Supreme Court where is was decided that MAY doesn't mean the same as MUST.

Case dismissed!

Interesting to the legal profession but as boring as hell to the public - except the accused.

5. Richard 26
    Go

The higher the court, the more arcane the arguments

The arguments used in court can be arcane, particularly when the case is about a narrow technical interpretation. However, sometimes the judgements are about broader principles.

For example, I offer the summary of R v Chaytor and others: http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/UKSC_2010_0195_ps.pdf where at issue is the limits of parliamentary privilege provided by the Bill of Rights.

6. Glenn Charles
    Flame

court tweets

But did he, like, tweet the decision? I mean, talking about setting a realistic precedent...

Glenn

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like