back to article Google man: 'Honeycomb' only for fondleslabs (so far)

Google's "Honeycomb" incarnation of Android will run only on tablets, and not on smartphones. Or so it seems. Wednesday morning, at a press event inside Google headquarters, when asked if Honeycomb would run on phones as well as tablets, Google director of products for mobile Hugo Barra said: "As we continue to think about the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Humble Pie

May be they will have a change of heart and make it available for smartphones, in the process renaming it to "Humble Pie"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Google can push any app to my android phone?

Of course, I am completely sure it will only push the Right Applications, all the while killing the Wrong ones... Google has Always been Trustworthy Friend.

AC, for obvious reasons.

3. Piro Silver badge
    FAIL

Huh?

Android fragmentation doesn't exist now? This man should be fired, since he's clearly not paying any attention whatsoever.

Yes, if you have a 1.6 handset, some things are not available to you, and yes, there are handsets that only got upgraded to 1.6. Let alone the huge number of 2.1 and 2.2 handsets that haven't been upgraded to 2.3.

4. AndyMM
    Linux

I wish they would release 2.3

To my Nexus one handset. They keep promising (remember one of the points of the Nexus one was as a developers handset)

Come on Google, give me 2.3, maybe it will cure the lack of auto switch between WIFI and 3G that 2.2.2 killed.

1. dotdavid
      FAIL

No longer flavour of the week

Oh come on, your Nexus One is over a year old now! It's yesterday's news. You should be going out and buying one of the new Nexus S phones! Or at least Google would have you think.

As a fellow Nexus One owner I'm a little miffed. I reckon CyanogenMod 7 (which at least is easy to get onto a N1) will provide an Android 2.3 implementation way before Google do - latest I heard it's a matter of days away from a beta.

5. Bilgepipe
    WTF?

So...

So there are two versions of Android, one for phones and one for tablets. Except there isn't, but will be when they decide how to do it. Or something. So will Android 4 will bring back compatibility with phones? Or an update to 3?

I believe Americans would call this a clusterf*ck.

6. dotdavid
    Jobs Halo

Madness or method?

I've given up trying to find any method in Google's madness regarding Android.

They repeatedly deny fragmentation, claiming it's actually evolution (which is a bit like saying it's not drug abuse, it's alcoholicism - different words, often the same result) and whatever they call it they do almost nothing to combat it - even their Nexus One isn't on the latest Android release yet.

Then they go and make an incompatible version of Android called Google TV.

Then they make Android Honeycomb (3.0, which indicates it's a sequel to Gingerbread 2.3) for tablets but are unclear as to whether it's also for phones (is this their way of hyping tablets or something?).

Then they *finally* get round to enabling a webstore for the Android Market, which should have been there years ago as people like AppBrain managed to do.

It seems to me that there are several teams within Google working on "Android" and no real overall direction. As a fan of the system I think this is a shame. I'm getting confused about the whole thing - I hate to think what the less informed are thinking!

iFan because at least you know where you stand with the JesusPhone.

1. ThomH

Apple have done a broadly similar thing

The main difference is that we're almost a year down the line. So we temporarily had iOS 3.2 for the iPad only, with a bunch of new features that are useful on both types of device, then we had iOS 4.0 for handsets only which jumped 3.2 to a bunch of other useful features, then only at 4.2 did everything come back together. I'm sure they'll do the same thing with Android; fork the code base during the development and launch of new types of product, then a merge further down the line.

There's a risk of fragmentation, of course, but we're still in a much better position than we were trying to support J2ME across the breadth of available handsets, and the available handsets are a lot better.

1. dotdavid
        Thumb Up

@ThomH

So, possibly 3.x for tablets and 4.x as a later "unifying" release (which may be the fabled "Ice Cream").

I find it odd that they haven't come out to say 3.x supports phones if it does, so I guess we can only assume it doesn't.

Google would be a lot better if it was more transparent. Getting any definite information out of them (even unofficially) is difficult, a fact that was obvious on the Nexus One "support" forums!

7. Mark .

Is this ChromeOS?

I don't think fragmentation applies - there are good arguments for having different OSs optimised for phones and tablet/netbook sized devices. You don't want a desktop OS on your phone, nor do you want a tablet to just be a brick-sized phone like the iPad.

People don't complain that Windows on x86 is different to Windows on phones. People don't complain that there's fragmentation between OS X and iOS. Nokia also maintain a distinction between Symbian and Maemo/Meego (not to mention S40 for low end phones).

Google had always planned to have both Chrome and Android, so the idea of two OSs shouldn't be a surprise - though I wonder if this new announcement is what was originally planned to be Chrome?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Fragmentation

Is not about cross device platforms, it is about multiple handsets not being supported by the latest OS release. Nexus one isn't on 2.3 and is Googles platform!

This is where the issue comes with Fragmentation, not with a single platform for all devices. However Google have denied that fragmentation is a problem so that must be the truth..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like