back to article Feds seize 10 domains accused of illegal sports streaming

Federal officials have seized the domain names of 10 websites accused of illegally streaming live pay-per-view sporting events. The move stems from the Operation in our Sites initiative, under which Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials disrupt websites accused of selling or distributing counterfeit goods and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Priorities

Because protecting the intellectual property of the big sports franchises and their mega-media partners is SO important to the health, safety and welfare of the United States. Half the world wants to kill us and they're out chasing after pirate video hackers? You know what, the companies whose profits they're protecting here can afford to go out and hire their own private army for this.

Of course that's exactly what they consider the U.S. government to be.

2. Jacqui

com and org tld's unsafe

Its always been the case that a US business can pay some politico a back hander (or threaten to move a factory out of state) and suddenly a out of country TLD becomes a national threat.

Sorry but the only reason .com was so valuable was because the original browsers defaulted to trying www.word.com if "word" was entered at the URL.

If a localised browser had been configured to try .co.uk/.ac.uk, the value of .com would have been massively reduced.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Favouritism ?

So why hasn't iTunes been taken of air. Is it because they were selling non-Americen copyright material ?

4. Tony Paulazzo
    Flame

Hey America

UK here, fuck off! Seriously. Lock your Internet down and leave the rest of the world alone, kthxbye.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shut em all down

Hopefully they will shut down all illegal sites down and punish the owners just like the Pirate Bay Boobs, with heavy fines and prison.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So...

...Janet from another planet doesn't have better things to do? Like secure the borders.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Superbowl

Superbowl? What's that?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Apparently some kind of event...

...whereby participants are encouraged to give their brain stems the shaky treatment by smashing heads together.

Apparently ads are also shown.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

Apparently some kind of event...

> Apparently ads are also shown

As are nipples.

/Paris as her wardrobe has never malfunctioned

8. Revelationman
    Thumb Down

The Internet is controlled by Big Brother

I used one of those sites to watch NHL games when I was living in Europe it was great but all good things do not last.

The Home Office is Stalinist all information controlled from the State., well the Super Crap is coming soon that is why.

Morons

9. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

"Homeland Security Investigations"

I feel there is fat-bellied mid-level middle-aged bureaucracy sniffing out for some empire building and thinking that going into share denial enforcement would be a good way to score some brownie points while waiting for the pension scheme to vest.

10. JaitcH
    FAIL

Due process of US law - kick the doors down

In the days of the observance of law, the U.S. recognised legal niceties like The Constitution, territorial limits and due process.

Now it has just about trampled on all other countries - did you know the U.S. Coast Guard now operates world-wide - it is turning on it's own people.

Just because some brain-dead puritanical do gooder thinks on-line gambling - which is what these streams are used for - is wrong but in-person gambling is OK, the whole country/world has to adopt their thought process.

Not the PR blurb language: "accused of illegally streaming live pay-per-view sporting events", "accused of selling or distributing".. Hey, Obama, you're a lawyer - do you know the difference between accusation and conviction.

No wonder the U.S. is held to be in decline, not far to the bottom now.

11. Kevin Fields
    FAIL

I get down, but I get up again

The great thing is that it takes the Feds months to get a judge to sign off on the seizure of the domain, and within 24 hours the sites are back up on a new domain name and it will be months more before the Feds can get a new seizure. Not that I openly condone piracy, but this is a rather inefficient waste of taxpayer money.

1. Deadly_NZ
      Thumb Up

Hammer time

Whack a mole Any one

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

LOL

I am *so* going to steal a copy of the Take Down Notice and post it up on various blogs and so on.

It looks incredibly official and impressive that if it were to appear on my refrigerator door, then I'd skip supper.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

WTF

Has the Superbowl got to do with Homeland Security?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: WTF

Obvious really. It'd be a real coup for yer discerning International Terrorist to blow it up, crash an airliner into it, get a nipple into the TV feed for two seconds, etc.....

2. Velv
      Joke

National

You might get some jolly Foreigner not standing during the singing of the National Anthem

(Which was performed by the original artist in 2009- Bruce Springsteen - Born n The USA)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

re-register the seized domain name?

"In other words, there's nothing stopping the website operators from swapping out the seized domain name with one that was registered overseas, which the feds have no jurisdiction over. "

What does that mean?

Does it mean that they can re-register the seized domain name overseas?

15. Ginolard
    FAIL

Willy-waving contest. US loses

Do the US not understand the Domain Name System or something? I mean, FFS, RojaDirecta is already up and running again with 3 different domain names! Whilst Homeland Security were showing everyone the size of their balls and slapping pretty notices on homepages, the websites themselves were pissing all over them from a great height with their truncheon-like trouser sausages.

This topic is closed for new posts.