back to article Netgear CEO sorry for 'when Steve Jobs goes away' bit

Netgear chairman and CEO Patrick Lo has apologized for comments he made on Monday that, as he put it, "have been construed by some to be references to Steve Jobs' health." On Monday, in comments to journalists in Sydney, Australia, Lo rather indelicately referred to the Apple CEO's current medical leave of absence in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Justin Clements

Dear Pat,

Please could you make a home router that lasts for more than 2 years.

Thanks,

Netgear Customer

1. Randolf McKinley
      Thumb Down

Re: Dear Pat,

It's the capacitors. The routers all run too hot, the caps just end up dying. The two I've had I've ended up replacing all the electrolytics after a couple of years when they started going flaky (Dropping ADSL connections and even dropping Etherent-side connections), and they were right as rain after that.

2. GeorgeTuk

Dear Justin

They already make it bought loads of their DG series for ADSL, I am talking about 50+ and only replaced one on a suspected power surge.

Not tried their flashier stuff but sometimes simpler is betterer!

3. Jolyon

Last post

Mine's been fine for at least three.

4. Anton Ivanov
      Boffin

Buy the newer ones

Netgear at some point changed something. They used to go off fairly fast because the older ones ran quite hot. Newer ones (most models) run ice cold so I would expect them to last for quite a while.

1. Stumpy

Not necessarily...

I've been running a Netgear 8 port Gigabit Ethernet switch now for at least six years ... never had a problem with it at all.

The trick is not to go for their cheap-as-chips home kit, but go for the cheaper end of their small business oriented stuff...

2. Ammaross Danan
    FAIL

The Quote

"Once Steve Jobs goes away, which is probably not far away..."

Steve has been with Apple for a long time. Bill has already moved on from Microsoft. Surely Steve is wanting to retire soon as well. It's obvious that's what he's referring to, not some impending death of Steve. Granted, his timing made it rather easy to mistake it as referring to health issues, but it's honestly and obviously a "you can't be in the game forever" comment.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

When are you going to do more important things?

Like making a domesting ADSL Router that supports IPv6?

You know that change to the interwebs that is REALLY REALLY Going to happy very soon now.

Why don't you do that instead of slagging off other CEO's?

Pah. Mega Fail.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot

Me too!

I'm "going to happy very soon now", but I think that's the pills I'm on though...

4. G-HAM 2000
    Heart

But

It would have been much funnier if he was just casually making some comment about Steve's impending demise in that way.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Joke

I expect your absolute and unquestioning mirth

A doctor a day keeps the Apple away!

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Don't think he should have apologized.

It's only what everyone else is thinking.

FAIL icon for the weaselly climbdown.

6. Chris Tierney
    WTF?

I took one thing away from that article!

MACGASM?

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Macgasm is to orgasm as ...

... McJob is to real job.

7. JaitcH
    WTF?

When the Grim Reaper comes a calling not even Jobs can resist

Why are so people about death, even talking about it?

It'll be kind of ironic for the guy who has spent so much time telling people what they can, or cannot, do with their property when the Grim reaper calls - even Jobs will have to listen.

Perhaps he should have skipped the transplant as the anti-rejection drugs have, according to experts in the field, made it risky for alternative, more aggressive, treatment.

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
      Happy

As a great person once said...

"Only two certs in life, death and taxes!".

We're all going some day so make the most of what you got, cause it don't last long. If Dawkins is to be believed, you ain't getting a second go either!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Valid comment, given cross-genetics transplants are unnatural and risky.

Transplant Jobs is living on borrowed time, given the anti-rejection drugs make him more vulnerable to getting ill and even dying, and I doubt his diet is helping.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a huge difference

"that what I said was interpreted this way"

"if I offended anyone"

Appalling grammar too.

1. JaitcH
      WTF?

Quote: "Appalling grammar too."

How's your Chinese?

You shouldn't point a finger at anyone as three are pointing back at you.

10. Marvin the Martian
    Dead Vulture

So no comments about the point at all?

Reading all comments published upto now, apparently nobody agrees or disagrees with the point made by the man and apparently subscribed by the register: that Apple would do better as an open platform??

Last time they were more open was the time of the clones. MacOS was dreadful compared, the users were mostly graphics companies with Stockholm Syndrome, and the company almost bankrupt. Open up MacOS and --- no! I don't want serial numbers! I want to be able to do clean installs, I want to replace a harddisk and just reinstall; I want to decide my partitioning was stupid and just redo. I do not want to phone MacUK for new serial numbers after 5reinstalls, etc etc.

The point of the mac is the ancient art of mackido -- the one true mac way. Which saves you brainpower and time by not letting you fiddle to find what the machine wants.

/disclosure: I used a Win7 machine 2weeks over Xmas. I thought I was transported back to 2004 and had a mac cheaply airbrushed to look more like windows...

No, I'm normally a Ubuntu person.

11. lee harvey osmond

Read the history books, Patrick Lo...

... that's where you can find lots of people that said Apple, and/or The Steve, were finished.

Tsk. I own a pile of Apple consumer stuff. And a pile of Netgear consumer stuff too. Thing is, while both piles support IPv4, exactly one pile supports IPv6, and exactly one pile doesn't.

I've got Macs that supported IPv6 ready to turn into fishtanks. Apple's been ready for years; why not Netgear?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like