back to article Judge rebukes 'World's No. 1 Hacker'

A judge in Georgia has scolded a controversial security figure for improperly subpoenaing Yahoo! and Twitter in an attempt to get user names and passwords belonging to some 25 researchers. Gregory D. Evans, CEO of Ligatt Security and the self-proclaimed "World's No. 1 Hacker", sought the the highly personal information in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Improper subpoenas

> She [the judge] scheduled a hearing for March 1 to decide how much Evans should pay in sanctions for the improper subpoenas.

And how much will Evans' lawyers be fined for issuing improper subpoenas? They need to be made to take some responsibility as well.

1. Raumkraut

A plain tiff

From TFA: “The court finds it extremely troubling that plaintiffs issued and served subpoenas to which plaintiffs' counsel had no access for such a long period of time,”

Which I take to mean that Evans was entirely responsible for the subpoenas in question, and didn't tell his lawyer/s about them until much later.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Plain tiff ;-)

You're right, I do apologise. I knew that lawyers could issue subpoenas without any sort of court oversight/approval (in advance at least) I had no idea that anyone could do so.

2. kain preacher

Missing info

To the first AC, we are missing info. I'm thinking that the guy is actying as his own lawyer . In American law the lawyers woukld be the one to be fined because the are the expert. If the client askes the lawyer to do some thing that is illegal or violates the rules of the court, it's the lawyers fault if they do so .

3. bleh_meh
    Pint

pass me the popcorn....

...this is going to be good to watch.

It has all the good things that make up a great train wreck....

1. serial pest who can't get enough of his head on tv

2. Id10t lawyer who can't read a case number properly

3. CNN who keeps putting him on TV as a cyber security specalist

4. And an imploding business... see http://ligattleaks.org

His actual twitter feed is a joy to behold @gregorydevans

But I'm undecided as to which is more fun to read, the real one or the parody @gregory_d_evans (until it gets changed as someone has filed a complaint to twitter!!)

PS, can ElReg please add a GregEvans icon... surely there is a CC licensed version out in the ether!!

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Flame

"Security expert on Fox News, Bloomberg TV, and CNN"

Enough said.

World's No.1 hacker. Ugh. Why isn't he in a movie with Travolta getting a blowjob?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

That's not hacking

although it is probably a more reliable way of getting someone's password

Paris: She gets told a lot of passwords that way

2. Ubuntu Is a Better Slide Rule
      Joke

@Destroy All Monsters: How Dare You

...to post that message before I can do it !

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Impressive stock price.

What's the market cap, all of a dollar? Buy up all shares and then, er, have some fun "rearranging" the executive team and the board?

6. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

I didn't know the US had their own equivalent of Cpt. Cyborg! i.e. a nutter/pundit

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cpt. Cyborg

We did not create it but we perfected it . Any thing you Brits we can do better , err dumber . Sarah Palin . Coming soon to America . Politician that makes Waci Jaci and lord Mandy look like political geniuses .

Has the Canadian immigration web site book marked .

8. Cameron Colley

Why is it in Georgia?

If the plaintiff is a US citizen who lives in California, then why is he going all the way to Georgia for this? You would think that, at least, he'd stay in the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

georgia?

I bet you think Ray Charles was singing about a caucasian country?

1. Cameron Colley

@jim 35

Yup, I do.

Same way I assume it's Paris, Texas (etc.) if I don't see "Paris, France". You can't have it both ways. I'm quite happy to allow that people in the US need it spelling out that events are happening outside the US, but they should extend the same courtesy to us rest-of-the-worldians.

9. RainForestGuppy
    FAIL

Being the world's number 1 hacker...

Shouldn't he be able to get all this information himself before he's had his first coffee of the day?

Damn I bet he's so good he's already tracked the computer I using and stolen all my personal details. I'm so afraid

What a complete TwatDangle!!

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Charlatan...

Check:

http://ligattleaks.wordpress.com/

and

http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/gregory_evans/

AC cause I don't want to be the next on his 'must sue' list

11. Snake Plissken

"Evans has regularly appeared as a security expert on Fox News"

That should be ringing alarm bells about his competence right there.

12. Frank Bitterlich

[Serious] Subpoena served by plaintiff?

Forgive this question by someone who has no real clue about the US legal system: Can a plaintiff really serve a subpoena to third parties in a law suit and compell them to provide data and such? I always thought that this would be done by a judge (on request by one of the parities of the lawsuit)?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like