back to article Panorama stalks alleged stalker's twin brother

The Beeb's Panorama team demonstrated they've got the investigative right stuff by stalking an alleged stalker's twin brother. The hit squad working on Stop Stalking Me staked out the chap's house in Ormskirk, Lancashire, for a week, then moved in for the kill. Front man Richard Bilton collared his victim on the street and " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

Confused

It mentions that the case of stalking was ongoing within the courts - is the implication that the Beeb were making an undercover documentary about an ongoing prosecution and trying to question the defendent? How on earth is that in the public interests if we follow the "presumed innocent" mantra that we are supposed to live by?

Unless I've missed something, and happy to be corrected.

2. jonathan keith
    Paris Hilton

Panorama

When did Panorama turn in to the Daily fucking Mail on television? I remember when they actually used to do some proper investigative reporting instead of this tabloid shitfest.

Paris, because she's a bloody disgrace too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You obviously haven't seen the programme.

It was about a woman who is being terrorised by her ex, he threatens her and has broken into her flat and attacked her more than once.

She only approached Panorama because the police were doing fuck all about him and she is terrified that he will kill her.

The man's identity was never made public and If the programme forces the police to take her seriously then I think it was justified.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well it fuckin' didn't, did it?

'nuff said

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Coat

Inspecteur La Bavure

I the police was doing something they would probably have shot the twin brother at point-blank range. Mistaken identity etc..

2. JimC

When did Panorama turn into...

Quite a few years ago now. Its been damn the truth, lets have the story, even if it involves selectively cutting intervews and all the rest of the dodge stuff for at least 10 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its indicative of the BBC

who have turned news in to a show full of air-headed muppets, competing for the most 'err's per minute' award.

They will break into a, shock horror, real bit of news to break wind about something really earth shattering, for example the loss of jobs at BBC World.

The muppets just love to air their opinion, ask the most insensitive of questions , even answer the question within the question, and heaven forbid, listen to an answer, don't be silly.

BBC news is like ground hog day.

And as for Channel 4 news, I used to miss the lunch time bulletin, not any more, much rather watch RT news, at least they realise there are other things going on in the world.

PS I think the errs are due to the muppets inability to think, so its a bit like a wait state.

3. IsJustabloke
      Megaphone

I refuse to enoble a simple forum post....

shortly after Jezza Vine of Radio 2 fame got involved I suspect.... the bloke is a walking, talking, living, breathing Daily Mail but with a lefty agenda.

3. Syed

It weren't me guv'... it was my evil twin!

That old chestnut -- still being used successfully.

4. andy gibson
    Happy

turning the tables

So Panorama tried to turn the tables by stalking a stalker? Maybe someone should again turn the tables and stalk the stalkers who stalked the stalker?

Oops, someone already did:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311472/Radio-2-presenter-Jeremy-Vine-stalked-months-woman-28-took-name.html

1. LinkOfHyrule

That's nothing!

Best case of radio presenter stalking ever has to be Jed stalking Alan Partridge - now he was a dedicated stalker!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

"The Panorama investigation into stalking is clearly in the public interest "

Clearly.

It's so interesting that I'm not even going to watch it.

Wait, don't tell me what happens, someone gets stalked, right? Just the thing to help you settle down and eat your dinner.

Clearly our society is sick when a case is already being dealt with by professionals in court, but that just isn't enough justice for the media. They need to chase people around with HD cameras and dispense "street justice yeah" for the children yeah. Let's all get involved with someone else's private problems for our own amusement. We can play some sinister music and get some guy to voice over: "HE COULD BE STALKING YOU". MAYBE EVEN RIGHT NOW.

"this is your brain" *girl puts egg on counter* "and this is your brain when you are being stalked"

*loud bang, mushroom cloud rising from surface of earth*

Let's get behind this folks, for the children yeah?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"the Daily Mail on television?"

See, the problem is there's no news or analysis or current affairs that needs doing. All is well in the world. There is no poverty, no suffering, no unnecessary wars, no avoidable suffering, no hypocrisy from our leaders, the banksters are under control not in control.

Even the dodgy goings on at Anglesey council in the last few years (photonicanglesey.blogspot.com) are sorted.

So they have to do this kind of thing instead.

Or have I misunderstood?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

sorry

two "sufferings", sorry.

one of them should have been a plug for the real analysis, as at http://golemxiv-credo.blogspot.com/

7. johnB

Panorama

Wasn't there a serious program that used that name once ?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Troll

Yes, the one about the spaghetti farmers

I think the trade went underground as a result of the media attention

8. Tom 15

Please

Can people please watch the program before slating it? I caught it by mistake on SignZone at 1AM when I couldn't sleep and it wasn't that bad. The police case is only proceeding due to Panorama anyway.

You can call the BBC the Daily Mail all you like but The Register is far closer to the Daily Mail these days.

1. Test Man
      FAIL

Yeah right...

... so you think following someone's twin (so not actually following the right person) is "in the public's interest"? It's a cock up, pure and simple, and there's no way it can be anything else but.

9. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Time for some bad latin... not, quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Qui venabuntur venatores?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

quis custodiet...

"Are you watching that custard?"..?

10. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Up

Commentards

"You can call the BBC the Daily Mail all you like but The Register is far closer to the Daily Mail these days."

Stalking has never been taken seriously - by anyone - and the commentards here on El Reg are no different. The Police "cannot act" until the alleged stalker has actually done something, like kill their target, whereas El Regs finest will leap straight in and put the world to rights.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

BBC stalks stalker

Can't wait until they start a program on murderers, we'll save a fortune in jails running costs!

"You can call the BBC the Daily Mail all you like but The Register is far closer to the Daily Mail these days."

Yeah, a cookie stalked my traffic all the way to my hard drive!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're confusing Panorama with

World in Action

Man Alive

Weekend World

24 Hours

or indeed any half decent current affairs/news analysis program from the pre News 24/Politics Show era.

Or maybe you're confusing it with JSP's Network 7, I forget.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I going to comment on something I have no idea about....

Since when has <insert programme / newspaper> been about <insert content>. This is a waste of <license fee / taxpayers / advertising (delete as appropriate)> money. It's a <insert expletive> outrage. Why don't they go and do some real work.

There, now for the dickheads above commenting on a program they haven't seen, feel free to cut and paste that for future use.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'll give the innocent brother some credit,...

rather than trying to argue the toss with a unlikely sounding story, or trying to smack the TV crew around, he found someone (the cops) with the ability to verify his story and also with the authority to tell the crew to f**k off.

Try getting in a similar stressfull sitation and then think clearly and logically, it's not easy.

15. The Indomitable Gall

Since when...

Since when has the Register comments section been about ignorant ranting following a formula. This is a waste of advertising money. It's a Bulgarian airbag-bursting outrage. Why don't they go and do some real work.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Allo Allo --- wots all this then

BBC has form for this kind of thing. One Rene Artois was shamelessy exploited by the BBC then his twin brother (also called Rene Artois and living at the same address) was further exploited for some considerable time.

Shame on you Aunty Beeb.

1. R Callan
      Boffin

Allo Allo --- wots all this then

But that was perfectly alright as they were both Nancy boys

17. Mike Shepherd
    Stop

"The Panorama investigation into stalking is clearly in the public interest..."

Because...?

Because...the BBC's doing it, so it must be right?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"without any footage of the alleged perp's innocent twin"

How did they know?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like