back to article YouTube honours shuttle dead with 'Workplace Safety' ad

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the space shuttle Challenger disaster, which in 1986 claimed the lives of seven NASA astronauts. The agency has this week been honouring its dead – the Challenger crew as well as those who died aboard Columbia and Apollo 1. It's business as usual down at YouTube, though, and while we were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. swisstoni

Innapropriate

Well I didn't get any Workplace safety ads. But I did get some for Lingerie and Cheap Flights.

I just don't think there's an appropriate ad for this sort of thing, apart from maybe Life Insurance.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Talking about inappropriate, I remember all the black humour that did the rounds at the time.

Why is it in the UK that it's possible for us to be horrified by something, yet able to laugh at a joke about it as well?

1. Paul_Murphy

It's a coping mechanism.

Probably to stop you from going hysterical or something.

ttfn

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Pint

That's why no-one ever seriously suggested prohibition over here

Can you imagine it? 60 million britons suddenly facing life sober and sane?

For gawd's sake, get me a bloody drink!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Sir Runcible Spoon

You mean like the one that went,

"Yeah, let her drive for a bit, what harm can it do?"

3. MeRp

NASA

Need Another Seven Astronauts - That was my favorite at the time.

1. DZ-Jay

Re: NASA

Coping humour is not unique to the UK.

I'm a 'merkin, and as a child I heard many jokes regarding the Challenger disaster. My favorite was something like this:

The Astronaut-Teacher's kid was being interviewed on TV prior to the Space Shuttle launch. A reporter then asked, "so, where's your mum right now?" to which the child replied "over there!" while pointing to the Shuttle's cockpit. A few minutes after lift-off, another reporter asked the same thing--just as the ship exploded in mid-air--and the child responded, "over there! ...and there... and there... and there... and..."

Lame? Sure, but it was hilarious by the standards of a 12 year-old.

dZ.

2. lpopman
        Coat

titular amusement

Or how about the drink made in commemoraton of the launch...7up and a drop of Teachers...

Mine's the one with the dusty joke book in the breast pocket

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Joke

Sir

I remembered the 7up and need another 7 astronaughts jokes, not so sure about the 'over there and over there' joke, although I did hear that the crew of Challenger went on their holidays, destination: all over Florida.

Oh, and the last thing said on the challenger?...

What does this button do?

4. Mike Flugennock

inappropriate reactions

I seem to recall a lot of bleak jokes going around here in the States after the Challenger disaster ("No, NO! I asked for a BUD LIGHT!").

I'm no psychologist, but it could have something to do with coping, with trying to deal with something as traumatic as this without having a nervous breakdown.

3. Dave 64 Silver badge
    Coat

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits

targetted advertising isn't rocket science

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

N.A.S.A.

"Need Another Seven Astronauts"

I remember this one from my school days.

5. Tatsky
    Happy

@LD50

Oh Dear. If you made a comment like that these days, god knows what would happen.... Just make sure there are no open mics knocking about.

6. ArmanX
    Thumb Down

I've never understood...

I've never understood all the fuss about poor ad placements. Yes, you can take a screenshot and get it onto the Fail blog... but so what? It's not human error; computers can't recognize the difference between a joke and a sob story, and will put ads where it is deemed to match the subject; people dying at work? Put in an ad about workplace safety. End of story.

Sure it's funny, but it's not like anything is going to be done about it, or even CAN be done about it, until we can teach computers about emotional impact... which is a few years away yet.

1. bexley

re:I've never understood...

I think it serves to highlight the fact that targeted advertising is not benign and often offends.

You might not care but lots of others do.

For example i received an email about my Aunties funeral some time ago on gmail and the ad's were all about death and coping and such.

Really pissed me off that i was being harrassed by ads while dealing with a death in the family.

Installed 'customise google' so now i see no ads on gmail (or any part of google)

1. Rattus Rattus

@bexley

There are ads in Gmail?

Have I mentioned before how much I love Adblock Plus?

2. ArmanX

It's not just targeted advertising, though

If you've ever read the Fail blog (or any of countless other similar websites), you'll see that newspapers, magazines, websites, even billboards do this all the time. Yes, sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's annoying, and sometimes it's flat-out disgusting, but it happens regardless.

I say I don't care because it's not worth it. It's not like the computer is trying to make me feel bad, nor were the people who wrote the programs, or the people who wrote the ads. If my own emotions amplify a generic ad into something offensive, then that is my problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It ain't just the ads

"I've never understood all the fuss about poor ad placements."

It's not just ads. How often do we see a TV programme or film cancelled because it may be considered offensive in the light of recent events? Fairly recently I heard the announcer say that there had been "a change to the advertised programme in light of recent events". No matter how hard I thought I couldn't figure what recent events he was talking about that could connect to the advertised programme. TV networks are terrified of being seen to offend anybody these days. I think this is mainly because other media, particularly the tabloid press, are so keen to take offence on other people's behalf.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I add this to the mix.

What’s an Astronauts’ favorite drink?

7Up with a dash of Teachers.

That was going around my school at the time.

Sick/Gallows Humor. Britain still does something’s better than others. We need something to keep us going. Along with Drink. And Drugs....

Anyway. Sorry to anyone that maybe offended

1. Anonymous Coward
      Dead Vulture

@Can I add this to the mix

It seems you can, but when I made the same joke an hour before it got blocked...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Can I add this to the mix

Yup ... reminds my of Diana's death when the nation was convulsed with sorrow ... except as far as I can recall at work main reaction was in jokes along the lines of

"The french police had to call Rover - they needed to know how to get a dashboard out of a princess" etc etc

Also I remember after the 7/7bombings (day after London beat Paris to get the Olympics) one of the first reactions was "never knew the French were such bad losers"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

And while we're at it...

"First Di died, Dodi died then Dando died. Dido must be really sh*tting herself right now...."

2. Steven Raith
      Thumb Up

French/bad losers joke

I was evacuated from Kings Cross when they decided that it wasn't a transformer that exploded, but a bomb, and was chatting to a US tourist.

He told me that one, literally minutes after the incident. We laughed.

We're going to hell for that, but it was worth it.

Gallows humour is fantastic.

Steven R

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

happens elsewhere.

I was watching an ITV news report (online) about a local gas explosion and the report was preceeded by an advert by Calor.

10. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Youtube has ads?

Ads? There's ads on the interwebz? I've never seen them!

1. Mike Flugennock

ads on the intertubes

It's not your normal, pain-in-the-ass banner ads or such, but those extra pain-in-the-ass little pop-ups that jump up and cover the lower sixth of the image in YouTube videos, which are pretty much impossible to suppress.

If somebody out there manages to come up with an add-on that crushes those little bastards, they'll be the biggest goddamn' hero on the Internet.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Can I add this to the mix.

Or even... Why was there only one black astronaut on the Challenger shuttle?

Because they didn't know it was going to blow up.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodness!

If I didn't use Ad Block Pro, would I see ads on YouTube videos too?

I never knew!

14. John Sturdy
    Happy

Meanwhile in Egypt...

Google Ads picked a "Holiday in Egypt" ad when I looked at a newsreel about the current riots there.

Good job that advertising generally puts me off buying a product.

15. Bilgepipe

Workplace Safety

If NASA had employed a bit of workplace safety at the time of the Challenger accident - or just listened to the engineers that predicted it - this wouldn't even be an issue.

1. Rattus Rattus

Yeah, but since when

do beancounters listen to engineers? Especially when it might cost some money?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like