back to article Microsoft hits autistic Xboxer with cheat evidence

The mother of an autistic 11-year-old boy who went on US TV to lambast Microsoft for labelling her son an Xbox Live cheat has admitted she made a mistake, after Microsoft released evidence for the lad's actions. The company insisted Julias Jackson's achievements were fraudulently obtained, Seattle-based US TV channel Q13 Fox …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gob, foot, insert

That is all...

Except to say her son is a cheating bastard and when caught didnt have the balls just to own up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I also

forgot to add: replace the autism" with little cheating badly behaved bastard".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

<nelson>

Ha Ha!

</nelson>

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

He got offered another account???

..talk about "rewarding positive behaviour"...

Personally I'd slap a public "I'm a cheating barsteward" on his account for all eternity.

1. noboard
      Stop

In fairness

Accounts are free and they only offered him a month gold service, which comes free with some games, so no biggie.

MS are only using it as bait so they can continue getting subs from him.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OMG LOLZ! (yes, I'm taking the p)

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Pwn3D parents bitching about something they don't understand.

Meanwhile, she failed to unlock the STFU achievement.

5. Fuzz

Sounds like it all worked out OK

The kid cheated, he almost certainly didn't mean to cheat and probably didn't even realise he was. Why would someone offer to unlock these levels for him if it wasn't allowed?

Microsoft have given him a free month, sounds like it's all good. Although I'm guessing the mother is going to have a hard time explaining all this to the kid.

6. Edwin
    Gates Halo

Something nice about MS?

I would hesitate to claim any kid of 11 (autistic or otherwise) would appreciate the consequences of having someone else modify their account.

No doubt this whole story got quite a bit bigger than mom anticipated, so I think it's a nice gesture by Microsoft. A decent thing to do, the more so since they didn't have to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Age?

I thought Halo 3 was a 15 rated game anyway? So what's an 11 year old doing being allowed to play this?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title is required

And also put an "I am a troll" status on all those commentards on the earlier article who were lambasting Microsoft.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

nah ..

just downvoted 'em all. Friday lunchtime after all

8. TheOtherJola
    FAIL

"would just like to put the episode behind them"

Now you've had your pants pulled down, yeah. Of course you would.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Achievements

Couldn't they give him a few free achievements to get him started? I'd suggest:

Cheater

Lier

Your Mom's a Moron

I didn't think I would EVER say this: Nice one Microsoft!

10. lansalot
    Unhappy

ha!

Kids, eh ?

I bet she'd like to put that one behind her... but I'm wondering if it was the mention of autism that gained the cheater a free month on XBL. That's a reward, isn't it - and not a punishment which you kinda might think was more deserved ?

Microsoft... They didn't need to make such a (frankly worthless) gesture. Now it seems like they've done it simply coz the kid was autistic. Pull your pants up Microsoft, no need for that.... You caught him, you've got the evidence. Let the moany-mom eat her humble-pie in public. Job done, case closed.

1. CD001

Reward...

----

That's a reward, isn't it - and not a punishment which you kinda might think was more deserved ?

----

Maybe - maybe not. The kid was a kid; he let someone else access his account to unlock achievements that he was stuck on - a little bit like when my brother asked me to get him past level 4 on Sonic when we were kids (the difference there, of course, being that Sonic was on a Megadrive, there was none of this internetty thing and getting him past the bit he was stuck on didn't affect anything else anywhere - no shiny bonus items, no gamezor bragging rights).

So the kid in the article was a bit of an idiot; maybe he lied about things to try and stay out of trouble ... that's what kids do. With luck he's learnt his lesson but he's got a new gamer tag, presumably that's a new "account" - so he's going to have to unlock ALL of his previous achievements again. If Steam lost records of all of my achievements (including some bloody tricky ones in TF2) and related content (achievement items in TF2 for instance) - would I be happy with a £10 Steam voucher ... hmmmm.

So his punishment for giving access to his account to someone else, who then cheated the achievements in, was to loose his account and all achievements. The kids got enough problems with being autistic and having an overly-protective, gobshite of a mother - a month's XBL doesn't cost MS much, it wouldn't even appear as a blip on their marketing budget, and it'll generate goodwill amongst most people hearing about it and presumably help keep the kid locked into the XboX and XBL. Sounds like a sound investment to me.

1. Lionel Baden

he was lucky

If it were steam he would be well Screwed

11. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

typical

just reward the cheats and the liars why dont they.

1. Jeremy Chappell
      Gates Halo

Err...

The punishment was not getting his achievements back. I imagine he considers this punishment. To be honest this is something Microsoft are quite good at - Xbox Live.

I'm sure his mother feels pretty foolish as well. I don't think giving him a fresh account (with no achievements) is much "reward". I think Microsoft have done the right thing here; removing all your achievements is an effective punishment.

12. Matt_payne666
    Thumb Up

Microsoft email....

Dear Mrs Jackson,

Re your son,

POWN3D!!

Regards

Microsoft online gaming department

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awwww...

And they all lived happily ever after.

14. Nigel Brown
    Unhappy

Director of Police and Enforcement ?????

I dont know whether to be surprised, angry or simply astonished that a software house has or needs such a position.

I just keep getting this mental image of Judge Dredd...........

1. maclovinz
      Happy

Just wonder...

what the guy that does this job actually "does".

It's clearly not working....I guess he just justified his pay for the entire year with this one issue.

15. Gordon Barret
    WTF?

Free Month?

He cheated, plain and simple, and was found out. And by the sounds of it his mother already knew that he cheated, but was possibly trying to milk it for all it was worth by going public and claiming mistreatment by Microsoft.

They proved he cheated, and his punishment? Being rewarded with a free month!!

Unbelievable!!!

1. No, I will not fix your computer
      FAIL

Who's the victim?

An 11 year old kid cheated on a game, I'm sure we've all done worse, being autistic he may not have learned any lesson, MS gave a free month away (a minescule amount but prevents any criticism of them), and Mom gets back to letting the Cert 18 XBox babysitter look after her child, it's all pretty sad really.

16. Paul_Murphy

And justice is seen to be done by all.

Though Microsoft didn't HAVE to do anything I feel that they have acted fairly - kid gets a slapped wrist and told not to do it again and given a leg-up to get him started playing honestly, hopefully kid learns his lesson, mum learns that kid is just like other kids.

Next story please.

ttfn

17. Piri Piri Chicken
    Grenade

Now I've been caught, I'd like everyone to leave me alone?

So the mother stood up on national US TV and Lambasted a company for picking on her son, all the while knowing what she said was false and that her son did indeed cheat.

Now that she has been caught out and Microsoft have diplomatically, and professionally informed her what they know and how much they know about their products and systems, she would like to disappear.

I think global humiliation is in order, Newspapers, blogs, tweets, facebook, TV. All laughing and pointing their finger at her.

Then she can disappear.

/not a fanboi

//dont have an xbox or ps3

///dont do online gaming

////really hate cheats and liars.

1. Jeremy Chappell

Err do we know that?

Do we actually know she knew her son had cheated? I think you're jumping to conclusions here.

I do question why her son is playing games that are meant for people much older than him...

But she's not alone there. I'm sure she already feels pretty foolish.

18. Rob Moir
    FAIL

Well that *was* a surprise

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you that the person labelled a cheat was actually, well, cheating.

I wonder if all the people having hysterics about how horrid Microsoft are on the other article about this will be able to see how foolish they've made themselves look. As has the mother who knew her son was cheating but played on her cheating son's disability for sympathy - way to stay classy there.

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Achievements ?

Surely, only of interest to OCD folk anyway.

Whats the harm. I mean really, what is the harm.

You'd think this was crime of the bloody century judging by some of the quotes here

1. JohnG

Whats the harm?

Making false accusations on national TV that her son received unfair treatment from Microsoft.

Also, perhaps it is unwise to allow an autistic child to avoid all real world social interaction and retreat into a virtual world of violent games.

1. The Commenter formally known as Matt
        Stop

perhaps it is unwise to allow an autistic child

Are you a doctor? Do you have experience with autistic children?

Comments on the reg get more suited to the daily mail everyday!

1. bigphil9009

Re:perhaps it is unwise to allow an autistic child

To be fair to the comment you are responding to, the same should actually be said for ALL children, regardless of any disorder or disability.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: Where's the harm

I was referring to the commenters jumping out of their prams declaring the boy to be a cheat.

The actions of his whiny mom are a seperate matter.

Your statement regarding autism is a strange one. Really not sure where you get things like that from.

20. andy gibson
    FAIL

Commenters on the earlier article

where you're siding with kid and slating Microsoft. Anything to say now?

1. The Commenter formally known as Matt
      WTF?

Why fail?

People formed an opinion based on available information.

Now there is new information any rational adult would reconsider their opinion, you however, imply this makes them stupid?

why?

1. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Thumb Up

Well said!

'Cos "andy gibson" has never been wrong about anything in his life probably?!

I only read the original article, after this one to see all the fuss was about, you were spot on. You make a decision based on what you perceive, then as needed you admit you made a mistake, change your opinion and we all move on having learned something.

Oh no! You make a mistake and the internet never forgets and you are branded a stupid dick-head for the rest of your life, unable to ever move on or forget.

I love this brave new world, information at the speed of light, consequences that last a lifetime...

2. 20legend

because..

people formed a biased opinion based on hearing one side of the story.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A title is required

>> You'd think this was crime of the bloody century judging by some of the quotes here

I think the issue is more that the gobshite mother very publicly played the "he can't be cheating because he is autistic and you're just picking on him" card knowing full well that her son was indeed a cheating little s**t.

If she'd just said "yes, he cheated, sorry", or even "he did do that but i didn't realise it classified as cheating" then nobody would have batted an eye-lid.

22. Tom 13

Didn't see the earlier article so I didn't comment on it.

Good for MS for trying to work with the autistic kid. Bad on the mom for knowingly going public to further the lie. Mom should have to do community service for slandering MS (which in and of itself is a notable accomplishment with the bar being so low and all).

23. This post has been deleted by its author

24. Anonymous Stoner
    Flame

Some really ingnorant people on El Reg these days...

... seriously I don't think any of you really understand the fact that this young lad has Autism Syndrome. As such this means they are over trusting of pretty much anybody, are very easily led and generally have an incredibly difficult time comunicating with other people. They are also generally extremely shy, especially under pressure.

So before people start saying he didn't have the balls to own up to it, maybe you should try and understand the condition of which he is suffering, then see if you views change.

I'm not condoning what he did as right, but i think the rage on here should probably be directed at the loudmouth mother instead of the mentally challenged individual.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Have another beer...

... and shut up.

(My advice to bystanders criticising :

- 11 year old autistic kids having computer game problems

- mothers of autistic kids having computer game problems

- in this case, and in this case only, Microsoft )

Now I'll take my own advice.

26. tom 24

Surprised?

Hands up everyone who did *not* see this coming. Anybody? I didn't think so.

Autistic or not, nobody likes a cheater.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

COPS!

"Director of Police and Enforcement at Microsoft"??

Ha ha! "Freeze mutha! You have been illegally using Office for making church newsletters! You is looking at 20-to-10 in the pen mutha!"

Actually it's more likely to be something similar to the Reno911 level of competence!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cheater you say ?

The impact of an autistic spectrum disorder can manifest itself in many ways.

Many children can be very trusting. Too trusting.

Losing something like a gamerscore could be a majorly traumatic incident. This doesn't excuse the mother's behaviour, but could explain it.

There is nothing to say that microsoft provided this evidence until the mother over-reacted in such a way. If her experience matches the ones I've had when trying to communicate with almost every big company she may have felt she had no choice.

Far too many people diving in to be judgemental. It's a Friday afternoon as well. When did everyone end up so bitter ?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

re: surprised

"Autistic or not, nobody likes a cheater."

And we have a winner. Autism can result in cognitive impairment. He may not be aware that he was cheating.

No doubt you similarly criticize blind people for their poor eyesight.

However delightfully proclaiming your ignorance of common neurological disorders when presumably you have the ability to find out is nobody's fault but your own.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think he was cheating

He gave his account to somebody else to get him past a bit he was stuck on, and that person cheated. Stupid, but he probably wasn't expecting them to cheat to do it.

My experience of autistic people, in general, is that they tend to be honest... compulsively so in a lot of cases. They also tend to expect everybody else they interact with to be just as honest!

30. Killraven

Read, Comprehend, Post (in that order)

Freaking read the article people, then work on your comprehension.

The mom didn't lie on TV. A lie is intentionally saying something that you believe to be false, whereas she believed that what she said was true. The fact that she turned out to be wrong is completely immaterial. Yes, she knew her son gave his key to somebody, but she didn't know that what the other kid was going to do was actually cheating. Yes, she was naive, but as far as she knew she was telling the truth when sticking up for her son.

Her son gave his key to a friend who was going to unlock some achievements for him. The article doesn't say that he knew the friend was going to cheat in order to do it. Being autistic it's extremely more than likely that the kid seriously didn't comprehend that what he was doing was wrong and was crushed when he saw what Microsoft did. That automatically triggers mom's Protective Mode.

Yes, they were both wrong, they both reacted perfectly normally when accused, and when shown the proof they realized the truth, accepted it, and apologized. That makes them good people.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Rooting for MS

I'm glad MS persisted; they clearly knew they were in the right. Autism, or any other condition, does not trump truth. Good on ya MS!

32. Alistair James 1
    Gates Horns

Why

Autistic or not why was a child of 11 playing a game rated above his age? Surely that makes a mockery of the age rating system, so therefore M$ are encouraging underage gaming, which leads to the little scrotes cheating online.

1. 20legend

How are Microsoft

encouraging underage gaming by giving the lad a new gamer tag and a months xbox gold sub? It's not like they have decided what games he should play.

What's to say that they didn't mention something to his old biff on the quiet about the games she was letting him play?

Hardly gonna be good customer relations for MS after coming to a fair resolution over the kid cheating, to then make a scene in public about her letting him play inappropriate games.

33. Antony King
    Unhappy

poor mum!

Parents of kids with ASD or indeed any other disability are so used to their children being criticised or abused or generally treated badly that they get very, very defensive, neurotic even. Someone mentioned 'majorly traumatic event' - an autistic friend likened something like that to feeling as bad as the death of a close relative. Don't ever pretend to understand how brains work, especially non-typical ones!

34. P. Lee
    Troll

MS PR dept more adept than usual?

Just think, none of this publicity would have happened if they provided all the evidence up front...

35. Simon B
    Thumb Up

Microsoft well done

Well done to Microsoft, not only for proving it but for offering the free 1 month to the idiots. Being the bigger man, nice to see Microsoft :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like