back to article Deliveries for final Apple Xserves stalled to April

Apple is killing off its Xserve rack-mounted, Xeon-based servers on January 31, but if you thought you could go for one last rack refresh today and get a reasonable delivery, you're about to get your second Xserve-related unpleasant surprise. The first one, of course, came in early November last year, when Steve Jobs decided …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dave 93
    Grenade

It's all about the cloud

Steve 'Visionary' Jobs has decided that you don't need server racks of your own. Just rent some data centre juice, pay as you go. He might be right.

2. maclovinz
    Happy

Nice.

Wonder when they'll BEGIN the AppleCare plan coverage, date of purchase or delivery? XD

Ah well, as soon as they made that announcement last year, I made the purchases then, having a "feeling" about some "stuff" happening "inadvertently".

Smiles!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't need a title...

As long as OSX Server can run on any X86 hardware or virtualized, we are golden. Don't need multimedia capabilities for Server.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but...

You do need licenced software and you can't run OSX on a non-apple badged piece of hardware. Furthermore virtualisation isn't always the way forward, particularly if you have high useage apps.

4. Philippe
    Thumb Up

that's why i read el Reg

Any of your opinion pieces actually has got some research and thoughts in it.

The last sentence actually sums up why you guys rules when it comes to IT related journalism.

Apple with or without Jobs has changed its mind many times but that thing about iServe just shows how much you know and understand what you're talking about.

Keep it up.. and please tell that guy on the inq (yeah Nick Farell) to go back to his day job, my windows need cleaning.

P

5. TRT Silver badge

Shame

They are really nice, thin unit. Perfect for bioinformatics farms. Now to invent a rackmounting kit for a macbook pro cluster.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like