back to article HP whips out d*** in a box

HP continues to celebrate the "Shorty" blade system in any way it can. At this week's Supercomputing show in Reno, HP unveiled a modified version of Shorty called the Cluster Platform Workgroup System that gives engineers and researchers direct access to a real workhorse. The new box holds up to 8 blade servers in the c3000 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nexox Enigma

Awesome title?

Some sort of award needs to be given to that title.

(Step 3: Open the box)

2. t3h
    Alert

Got a higher res version of the pic?

Is that an error I see at the Windows screen? Looks like it, but I can't see enough detail at that size. It may be something perfectly normal.

3. Andy Bright
    Happy

In the future? $10,000?

I realise we're talking a gulf in quality here, as well as in some cases, hugely disproportionate ease of use - but people with $3000 worth of Amiga gear were producing 3D rendered movies and TV in the early 90s (Wallace and Grommit comes to mind, as well as Babylon 5).

The reason Wallace and Grommit comes to mind more significantly, is because this not only used Lightwave for 3D imaging, but also a PAR card for capturing the frames of the clay models. It was probably closer to the quality of the material produced by Pixar today, however it took a lot more work, was painstakingly complicated and took a hell of a lot more time to produce.

Babylon 5 is a much lesser example, and demonstrates the gulf in difference of quality between 'puters back then and your average Jesus Comp setup at Pixar or Industrial Light and Magic.

Also around that time Lightwave 3D was used on multi-processor board NT boxes, the cost being somewhat closer to your $10,000. These were used in a number of movies and TV shows.

Lightwave was probably the most incredible piece of software ever to be dropped in a box as a freebee. Sure 3D Studio is more sophisticated, always was, but until about 3 or 4 years ago didn't actually do real ray tracing.

But the senior citizens of computing amongst you will remember the Video Toaster, and that Lightwave 3D came free with an admittedly $2000 card of tricks. The Video Toaster allowed video effects to be used on live TV, one of many pieces of video production hardware that graced the Amiga in it's heyday.

So while we enjoyed Imagine, Real 3D and other low-cost alternatives, everyone that was into animation (and didn't own a PC or Mac) lusted after Lightwave 3D, usually because of all the scifi tv shows it was used on in some capacity (Star Trek TNG and X-Files amongst others).

nb Maya was always the dogs bollox, but hardly anyone with a casual interest in 3D could hope to use it back then.

4. Jason
    Coat

@t3h

Errors are the norm in windows :P

5. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@ t3h

Judging by the context (that appears to be the logon screen), I'm guessing it's normally connected to another server, and that's a contextless logon warning that its normal domain can't be found.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Error?

Looks like RDP, with a logon error. You know, the windows equivalent of

Password:

Password:

Password:

Connection to host lost

7. E

Other products...

Tyan has had a product like this for several years. It is call 'Typhoon'. It is in it's second generation already.

I think I saw something similar from Iwill also several years ago.

8. Matthew Smith
    Gates Horns

Wallace and Grommit?

They may have started capturing frames digitally now (for ease of editing in a normal 2d video suite) but I'm pretty sure they started with a traditional clockwork cine camera. The only 3d rendering was the scene in Curse of The Wererabbit with the bunnies swirling around the big Dyson.

Babylon 5 was famously rendered on a bank (750 IIRC) of Video Toasters, which were Amigas reworked to produce broadcast quality signals.

p.s. Icon selected for resemblance to wererabbit

9. Rob
    Happy

Video Toaster!!

Other people that remember the Toaster, at the time it was the best bit of kit I ever used. Toaster was definitely mind blowing with Lightwave, especially after starting out on Imagine :)

Ah... those were the days.......(he says digging around in his loft for his old Amiga A1200)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

You have to check out this video of the HP shorty

http://www.backhomeproductions.net/ibm/ftp/webversion/ibmbladecenters.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like