back to article HTC DG H100 Media Link DLNA adapter

HTC’s DG H100 Media Link is handy little gadget that can connect any HDMI-equipped TV to a DLNA-enabled wireless home network, so you can stream audio and video content direct from your phone or PC to the big screen. HTC DG H100 Media Link Mobile viewing: HTC's DG H100 Media Link The Media Link is a very neat and sleek …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tracer Hand
    Thumb Down

codecs

These things really need to be able to play anything you throw at them. Or are we expected to have a separate device for .mkvs?

1. Rebajas
      Stop

Title missing...

I know the codec situation is abysmal, but I really don't understand these types of comments - if it doesn't suit your needs because of whatever missing feature, then surely it just doesn't suit your needs?

2. Duncan Watts
    Thumb Up

Also recommend Twonky

I've been using Twonky as a DLNA controller on my HTC Desire and it works very nicely as my media box (HDX1000) works as a DLNA renderer and should also work with this.

http://www.twonky.com/products/twonkymobile/default.aspx

It's nice to see standalone DLNA renderers, is anyone aware of an audio only one? I've been looking for one to play music in the kitchen, but haven't had any joy yet.

1. Bub

Sonos

All Sonos components are DLNA aware. I can push music from my Desire HD staight to my Sonos with no special configuration required.

1. Tim Walker

J. River Id

I've been looking for an audio-only DLNA network player for some time, to stream audio from our Synology NAS box. Frankly, audio-only DLNA units are rarer than hen's teeth, esp. at the lower end of the market.

The only one I've found so far in the under-£100 bracket that's not an Internet radio, is the J River Id (http://www.jriver.com/press/2011/press61.html), which looks like it's just been released. You'd have to order it from the States ($89, plus $20 shipping and whatever UK Customs sees fit to charge you for the import), and WiFi setup looks fiddly, but it might be what you're looking for.

I think the Revo Mondo Wi-Fi "Internet radio hifi adapter" might do the job too, as apparently it has DLNA capability.

3. swisstoni
    Thumb Up

DLNA Renderers

You can use pretty much any internet radio as a standalone audio DLNA renderer. They are normally just listed as uPNP, but DLNA is just a subset of that standard anyway.

I've been using a Roberts Revival iStream and the 2Play application successfully for some time. I can stream all my audio collection from my NAS box, or the phone itself and have it play on the Roberts.

1. Tim Walker

It supports FLAC :-)

Didn't realise that - hmm, wouldn't mind one of these :-)

4. Nigel Whitfield.

Quite a few TVs do this

Of the various TVs I've looked at for RegHardware over the last year or so, quite a few of them work as media renderers too, so if you have a phone like the HTC, or various recent Nokia's (back to the N95), you can do the same thing, without a separate box - though of course the capabilities of many TVs are pretty limited in terms of format support.

I was trying this at the weekend, actually, with a Samsung 652 LCD set that some friends had just bought; sending photos from my E72 worked a treat, but the TV couldn't understand any of the AAC (.m4a) files that I had on the phone.

5. JEDIDIAH
    Linux

A separate box needs more.

I agree with the sentiment that any stand alone box needs to be more than just a crude DLNA client. Once you've burdened the couch potato with running a PC server of some sort you might as well go the distance and support things like NFS and SMB and a wider array of formats and codecs.

A device that can grab a MKV off of a CIFS share is actually going to be simpler to deal with.

Crippled devices aren't easier. They're just crippled.

6. Tom 38
    FAIL

DLNA is shite

DLNA has ~300 different profiles. You've got to implement 1 of them to be certified DLNA-compliant, but to work with another device both devices have to implement the same profile and in the same manner, or you get the crap just mentioned. For instance, my TV will quite happily accept MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 AVC from a SD card, but for DLNA purposes, it will only accept SD MPEG-2.

If DLNA works, it's quite nice from a technological view point, but it rarely does. PS 3 + Twonky is supposedly a pretty decent combo, and is only £120 more and plays blurays...

1. Tim Walker
      Unhappy

Don't get me started...

...on DLNA "not working" - incredibly, our Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray/network media player doesn't recognise H.264/MP4 (iPod-type) videos over DLNA, which means over 90% of the vids on our home LAN are off-limits for this player.

Even worse: I emailed Sony support over this, and they claimed (a) the DLNA spec doesn't include MP4 as a video format (which I understand is flat-out wrong - how come this HTC player can play them?), and (b) support for it will likely never be added to the BDP-S370 in future.

Hence the reason I'm even giving HTC's player here a second glance...

1. rvrbnk

DLNA Spec

The DLNA spec requires MPEG2 but not MPEG4.

Conversion during playback is sometimes upported by DLNA Servers.

2. Dave Fox
      Go

PS/3 + Twonky isn't exactly portable though!

@Tom 38

Fair enough for your home setup, but I think this DLNA adaptor is going to be of use for people who travel/visit family etc.

Most of my friends have HDMI equipped TVs, but no mechanism for playing digital video on it. With one of these, I can pop round with this in my pocket, hook it up, and play video from my phone. Ditto many hotel rooms.

For this reason, and this reason alone, it's a worthwhile purchase from my perspective.

7. Jamie Kitson

Pricey

Considering that most laptop will already have an (OS independent) HDMI port, so you're paying £100 just to be lazy and be locked in, or I suppose connect a desktop in another room.

I can't get over my £20 freeview box from Maplins that plays media straight from USB media.

8. The BigYin

For that money...

...I'd get a small-footprint PC, drop a Mthy front-end, XBMC or something on to it and plug it into the network. More functionality, less hassle, less confusion.

I don't understand what DLNA is supposed to be about. Just seems like yet another way to do something that has already been solved (e.g. use CIFS, or streaming). And (from posts above) have no idea if it will work until after you have bought all the kit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like