back to article Monkey butlers a step nearer as boffins clone macaques

American-based scientists report they have successfully produced cloned embryos from an adult male monkey. The breakthrough will have important implications for the fields of invincible clone armies, organ harvesting, and - most importantly - monkey butlers. The research was published in prestigious boffinry publication …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Planet of the Apes, here we come!

Put me in for a monkey butler right away. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

2. Paul

Sober, reasoned analysis.

Why would I be reading El Reg if I wanted that?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

monkey butlers

I would never eat dinner at your place.

4. Matt

The perfect gift...

...for a certain Mr Karl Pilkington?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Oosight?

If they were cloning orangutans it would have to be ook-sight

Hat, coat etc...

6. Damian Gabriel Moran

hee hee hee

land of the monkeys

7. Pete Silver badge

armies of cloned monkeys?

... huge armies of invincible clone soldiers - even monkey ones

Not really practical. If you want to win a battle, just chuck a bunch of bannanas at the advancing horde. Then watch as they drop their weapons and tuck into lunch.

Also, how would you get them to fight in a desert - there aren't any trees for them to swing through.

If I was going to create an army of genetically engineered/cloned animals, I'd choose pigeons and mess with their DNA so they crap high-exposive. Not only could they dive-bomb the enemy (provided they were only monkeys) but training them as kamikaze "missiles" could bring down aircraft.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"Oosight"... & @Pete

groan.... molecular biologist puns are teh worst!

@Pete: Don't think your pigeons are invulnerable. Monkeys are famed for their poo-flinging abilities, so once we've cracked the basic problem of genetically-engineered hi-ex dung, your dive bombers can expect to receive a lot of flak, incoming!

At that point, throwing bananas to us would just be like handing over free ammo!

9. Rick Brasche
    Joke

@AC & Pete-Schlock Mercenary beat ya to the punch

or, the poo, as it were. Howard Tayler for Teh Win:

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20010719.html

10. Mike
    Joke

It has to be said...

One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the monkeys will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new monkey overlords.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I for one...

... Welcome our new high-explosive poo flinging cloned monkey butler overlords.

12. Charlie van Becelaere
    Coat

Live Free or Die!

Down the monkey butler overlords and their high-explosive poo! Down the bloody pigeons as well!

It's all a plot of the scum in the Animal Rights movement, no doubt. If only we could decrypt their files - or is it decrap their piles?

Whatever, gd&r

13. Morely Dotes
    Coat

Can't be that hard.

After all, the USA has already produced a monkey President. Well, part chimp, part jackass, apparently, but still...

14. Pyros
    Coat

Sign me up

There's something a-peel-ing about a bunch of monkeys.

Even in little tuxedo coats and serving banana daquris at your local cabana bar.

Hrmm... can we do gorillas, too? A bar could use the heavy labor/bouncers for chimp change...

if(coat == TRUE) {exit;}

15. Chris G

Don't monkey with me

Just a thought, but if monkeys are engineered to be smart enough to buttle that would probably put them sufficiently far up the IQ curve of society ( over halfway going by observation of some current members of society) to entitle them to some kind of civil rights. Obviously that will be followed by legislated terms of employment and protection from being exploited, then we will be back at square one!

Let's just get the space race going again and enslave some martians.

And as far as the Paris Hilton connection is concerned, it is down my trousers waiting for Paris.

16. Will Leamon

Pray For Mojo

nuff said.

17. chew6acca
    Unhappy

Meh

Bloody clones... they're all the same.

18. Dion R
    Coat

I wonder....

Now that I can get macaque cloned, i wonder if i could also get it enlarged?

Hat ... coat

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re Can't be that hard.

Morely Dotes spoke thusly

"After all, the USA has already produced a monkey President. Well, part chimp, part jackass, apparently, but still..."

Worse yet, they're trying to elect his wife president...

20. Dion R
    Happy

Smell no evil.

Macaques are theiving little buggers,they'll take anything they can lay mitts on. Just think, they are gunna clone em, George Dubya will be the chief big banana, he'll send the theiving lil buggers into the middle east, and all they'll do is advance up the scale to theiving cars n doing drive-by's with their explosive turds.

I can see it all now, to deflect attention from the Iraq Macaque debarkle, the president will appear on the tonight Show riding a unicycle.

21. Dion R
    IT Angle

Where's the IT i hear you say...

At least the C++ monkey may be a thing of reallity, I hear it can manage object-oriented programming,Visual C++, even some Java .... There's always a tech angle on ALL of El Reg's stuff if u just read between the lines.

I think these people have finished dry cleaning my coat now...

22. Paul

RE:armies of cloned monkeys?

What we need is explosive Poo flinging Monkeys, riding pigeons. The ultimate clone war combo.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@ Paul

You, dear Sir, scare the living crap out of me.

24. chew6acca
    Dead Vulture

Now all we need...

is a way to clone typewriters.

This topic is closed for new posts.