back to article Zuckerberg's Facebook page hacked

Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page was hacked on Tuesday to promote an alternative business plan for the social network site. Unknown pranksters defaced the page with a message suggesting that Facebook ought to allow ordinary users to invest in the site in a "social way", rather than getting its financing from the banks. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Tserkezis

Well....

If Zuckerberk and Co can't keep on top of their security, what chance to the idiots^H^H^H^H^H^Husers have?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn..

He must have forgotten to enter all his personal details to keep his account extra "secure".

3. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Good advertising ... FB security at it's usual low/non-existent state

Wonder if Zuckerberg likes having his privacy invaded?

Now he knows what it is like to be an FB subscriber.

Naked.

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Pint

You know....

Isn't it strange how we are all talking about it? You'd almost suspect taht this may have been a cunning PR rouse!

Nah! FaceSlap actually has shit security, so it probably was a genuine "hack"!

5. James 5
    Unhappy

I'm shocked !

"but weak password security by the team of minions maintaining the page is the most likely explanation."

The master of social interf***ing doesn't write / secure his own page !

Whatever next ? You'll be telling me that Lloyd Grossman doesn't lovingly mix each jar of his sauces ....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Title is Required

All password security is weak security. Given enough time, anyone can "hack" any password. I may be wrong, but I don't believe Facebook has an account lockout due to too many incorrect password attempts, meaning it is an easy target. Even if it did, you'd just put a time delay on the dictionary attack. I can't imagine Facebook has the capacity to monitor the number of failed log in attempts give the size of their user base.

In short, if anyone really wants your FB page, they should be able to get it.

1. Charles Manning

Nonsense

Doing a lockout count is easy. What's tracking one more integer per person when they already have your DNA, blood group and those pictures of you pissed at cousin Jeff's wedding.

Anyone that just uses a naked dictionary word doesn't care about security.

In theory a brute force attack using all combinations or letters and digits will get you there but that would take time. 36^8 is 2.8x10^12. Even at 100 attempts per second you're talking 400+ years or very, very lucky.

More likely Zuckerlad's page is maintained by a band of FB serfs and the password is taped on a monitor or emailed around was accidentally or maliciously leaked.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Face hacked ;)

very unlikely this is due to a weak password

i think this is a PR stunt which I hope will back-fire on FB

7. Andy Kay
    FAIL

Wrong....

Its his FAN page, not personal page, which was hacked (apparently)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bank financing

Ukranians unhappy that FB raised money from bankers.

FB raised $1B in foreign investment -- Americans weren't allowed to participate.

Fine by me actually, but I digress. I'm reminded of, among other things, the seemingly slimy sale of dieing CompUSA to foreign investors for a huge sum. Foreign investors who wouldn't perhaps be able to easily go after the American sellers for fraud?

If FB and their bankers were so sure that FB was such a good deal, why would they lock out American investment? Seems to me like it's more "here's a new shiney, give us your monies, caveat emptor, YMMV, you pays your money and you takes your chances, a fool and his money are soon parted, there's a sucker born every day.

Just saying.

1. Oninoshiko

it's all about the SEC!

They didn't want to have to have to submit SEC filings. The prevailing wisdom is that a significant number of (US) investors would cause the SEC to require filings. Since none of the investors are USAians, the SEC has no reason to get involved. I thought elReg covered this?

SEC Filings give informaion to competitors as well as actually having someone paid to make them up. Although they do have the side effect of making you acknowlage your financals.

9. Jorge Lopez

I wish they outted him

I know I know - outing Mark Z is wishful thinking on my part. I have the biggest crush on El Numero Uno Nerdo boy. I personally think he is really adorable. I would love to have seen them fulfill my fantasy and changing his "looking for" status to "men"

I am shocked that of all pages to be hacked it would be his. I dunno, I kinda like the kid and knowing that they could do this makes me want to change my password.

Mark is cool, He's donating alot to charity. I just wish he played on my team :-)

Jorge

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Ah, the daily facebook joke

FFB

I'm sure you can figure out what I mean.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like