back to article Dell: Alienware m11x hinge crisis closure near

Problems some punters have experience with the hinges on the Alienware M11x gaming laptop may soon be sorted out, at long last. In a brief post on a Dell support forum, spied by Engadget, Dell staffer Chris M reports that M11x hinge fixes will come "around March". He couldn't be more specific than that, he admitted, because …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Si 1
    Unhappy

Overclocking

Now if they would just acknowledge that the overclock option in the BIOS causes instability in many of the launch models and issue a BIOS update to fix the undervolting and they will have sorted all of the issues out.

(Before anyone chips in about overclocking not being guaranteed or a standard feature, it's a selling point for this model, Dell's site states the M11x will overclock to 1.7GHz and all their benchmarks were taken at 1.7GHz).

2. Fuzz

doesn't matter if it's in warrenty or not

In the UK if the computer breaks as a result of a manufacturing defect inside the first 6 years then it must be repaired or replaced by the retailer. If you bought direct from Dell then they're the retailer, if you got yours in Currys or Comet then they're responsible.

3. Gil Grissum
    Grenade

One of the reasons I didn't buy one....

Not that I knew anything about the hinge problem, but they are a subsidiary of Dell. What do you expect? Prompt acknowledgment that there is a problem and when it will be fixed? This is starting to sound like a "Hinge-Gate" situation. LOL!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warranty

"Originally, Dell advised that the problem would not be fixed for out-of-warranty machines, but that now appears to have changed."

In the UK your warranty is not arbitrarily time limited, especially if you identify the problem before the manufacturer's stated warranty period expires but they are not in a position to rectify the issue until after this time. Dell are only agreeing to provide the warranty that they are legally obliged to provide and will get royally sued over if they refuse.

Some Dell kit is quite nice but man does their support leave a lot to be desired.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Phew!

I almost bought one of those... But then decided that a MacBook Pro was a better bet for similar money.

How comes almost every other week I meet someone who bought a PC laptop and has to send it back to the manufacturer or buy another?... Life span of max 2 years?.... even less...

6. wayne 8
    FAIL

But, but the original review stated:

"Sturdy hinges close the claspless clamshell with a reassuring thud."

So did it lose the thud factor? Just not so reassuring anymore?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Warranties mean nothing.....

In the UK if it was sold with a defect, then you have no need to worry about a warranty, just use the Sale of Goods act. Under EU law, if under 6 months They MUST replace if you ask.

"If the.....was bought less than six months ago it is assumed to have been faulty when it was delivered and the shop has to prove otherwise."

I wish people would stop worrying about warranites, especially on high value goods; they should be expected to last a "resonable" time. Therefore if it breaks after 1 year, Dell would be compelled to admit that there goods only have a useful life of one year, which would be business suicide if they were to publicly admit it.

For a bit of guidance, look here.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/

Know your rights and uses them, stop these shitty companies shafting you!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like