back to article Facebook tightens privacy after friendly warning from Germany

Facebook will tighten up privacy in its "Friend Finder" feature, following demands from German data protection watchdogs. A deal was struck with German data protection officials in Hamburg yesterday, after Facebook was hit with a privacy storm over unsolicited emailed invites it sent to individuals who hadn't signed up to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

Perhaps...

... Facebook could also stop lying about claiming that "These friends of yours have found other friends".

One of my friends has an FB account which, after setting it up, he's never used, yet somehow I keep getting told that he's used their "Friend Finder" and so should I...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

retards

How do you have information on you "opted out" if you have no intention of ever having an account but some retard you knew years ago uploads your email address and name to his account, FB then repeatedly emails to to join.

FB epic fail.

3. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

The only information FB should have..

.. is the kind of stuff you would tell your worst enemy.

FB; google and pretty much all web services share one feature: you're only one programming mistake away from disclosure.

4. Daniel Hutty

It's not just what you tell Facebook...

...it's what others tell Facebook *about* you. How can you "opt out" if you have no account, but someone else pokes your email address or other identifying info into some Facebook app (e.g. Friend Finder)? But then this isn't unique to Facebook - you'd be as compromised, or more, if they posted your details in their blog, on twitter, etc.

Some responsibility for privacy has to rest with users - for both maintaining their own privacy, and that of others.

5. Phil Koenig

Only applies to Germany?

I'd like to know if this applies outside Germany. US politicians and federal agencies run by political appointees are too in the pocket of money-grubbing corporations to actually make any effective noise about this sort of thing here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like