back to article HomeGrid makes a date for powerline testing trysts

The HomeGrid Forum, the organisation promoting the use of the G.hn, a next-generation powerline networking standard, has pledged to put in place what it needs to begin device interoperability testing during the first half of the year. It's a rather broad timeline, but many slip twixt cup and lip, and all that. Still, does it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joshua Murray
    Stop

When will they learn?

Household mains electrical wiring is not a network cable!

It's unshielded, unbalanced, acts like a leaky feeder and pollutes the local HF and (now) VHF radio spectrum with broad-band digital noise.

I know you've heard all this before from us radio geeks, but it needs re-itterating.

Companies should invest more on developing faster WiFi instead of this crap.

/Rant.

1. Jim 15

"Faster WiFi"

Faster WiFi isn't the point Joshua.

I need to put my Sky box onto the Internet router for Sky Antime+ streaming and the Sky box is not WiFi enabled.

The router is in a different part of the house and I'm not about to start taking up polished Victorian floorboards to lay ethernet cables, so running it over the mains was my only real option.

2. Chris 211

When will they learn?

Until 5ghz (802.11a) becomes the client standard in our laptops, ps3's and smartphones, 2.4ghz with its ridiculous only 3 none-overlapping channels means WIFI is dead in consumer markets. Wifi doesn't have the throughput to serve HD video.

However Ethernet over Power adapters give me a 30-40mbps throughput and serves up my HD films perfectly thanks very much.

Everything creates RF, everything.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like