back to article Huawei moves to stop Nokia's Motorola grab

Huawei has applied for an injunction to stop Nokia Siemens Networks getting its hands on Motorola, claiming Moto is still stuffed with its trade secrets. Huawei alleges that Motorola has been reselling its cellular technology for years, having given up doing its own research and development to stick labels on Huawei kit. But …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RegisterThis
    WTF?

Pot ... kettle ... ?

Huawei were renowned for ripping off others technology for years and have had numerous lawsuits brought against it by the other NEVs over the years while happily hiding in China behind lax IP laws and doing most of its business in countries where they wouldn't give a ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Exactly

Wouldn't that be a lark if NSN found its own IP in there. Maybe that's the real reason.

2. Kristian Walsh Silver badge
    Happy

Fǎn huà...

Huawei demands intellectual property protections.

I tried to find a funny quip to go with that, but some things need no accompaniment.

3. Hi Wreck
    Grenade

What comes around...

Maybe Huawei is afraid that Nokia/Siemens is going to rediscover their own code.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

And your point is?

The problem however is that even if it does in order to successfully successfully sue the big H it will need to show the IPR in question in court. This may be difficult if some of it was lifted from somewhere else in the first place.

There may be reasons why similar lawsuits against Huawei did not go particularly well in the past...

4. Ubuntu Is a Better Slide Rule
    Go

That's Excellent

Chinese companies realize that IP is indeed worth something. Huawei definitely has the ear of the Chinese government so Huawei can be used as a lever to actually change the way China operates.

The CEO of Huawei was (now reserve ?) a General in the PLA, so I am sure he knows how to talk to the government.

China is now a prosperous country (if seen as a whole, not these poor villages behind the mountains) and we should seriously engage them into setting up rules which benefit everybody. But "engaging" does not mean "dictating", dear Americans. Think about it.

5. Andus McCoatover
    Pint

Perfect timing....

2 days before Nokia (of which NSN is a part) releases its financial statement,

Having been scrap-heaped by NSN, I think it couldn't happen to a nicer company....

1. Jonathon Green
      Thumb Up

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

> Having been scrap-heaped by NSN, I think it couldn't happen to a nicer company....

Having watched as two groups of extremely talented people (Metrowerks and The Handset Company Previously Known As Sendo) were scrapheaped by Motorola and (along with a bunch of ex-TTPcom people also previously scrapheaped by Motorola) being scrapheaped myself by a group of ex-Motorola Senior Managers I'd say that it sounds like a match made in heaven.

No doubt the Big Boys will get out with nice fat payoffs while the troops get shafted mind...

--

JG

6. spegru
    Go

If they are consistent

This should be approved - if for no other reason than Huawei were previously disallowed from buying 3Com!

7. Goat Jam
    WTF?

Uh?

Don't all Huwais so-called "trade secrets" have "(c) Cisco" written on them?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

joke

When working there you can ask:

Who are we?

Huawei!

The question is the same as the answer!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like