back to article Anne Hathaway slips into catsuit

Anne Hathaway has seen off Jessica Biel and Keira Knightley to take the role of Catwoman in the forthcoming The Dark Knight Rises. The thesp will play the female lead opposite Christian Bale in the next outing of the Batman franchise, directed by Christopher Nolan and slated for release in July 2012. Hathaway's performance …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Farley
    Pint

Batman rising?

Yes, me too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

she'd have made a better Harley Quinn

with that Joker-esque face, she'd have played better as the sidekick of the Clown Prince of Crime.

Catwomen need to be luscious, curvy, seductive, Jolie-style.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Anything's better with Jolie.

And I'm just going for an Eartha Kitt...

2. Michael C

check her resume

She's got the bod, she showed it off well in a few flicks, and she;s also got a good start for the athletic ability. Jolie is gorgeous, but she's too tall and a bit stiff to play Cat Woman (not to mention, no chance of her pretending to be a near 20-something, as is required for Cat Woman).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

luscious, curvy, seductive, Jolie-style??

eh? Jolie? Curvy? She's a stick. Luscious, seductive? If you like sucking on lemons I guess.

I'm just glad it wasn't Jolie for Catwoman - then I would have had to boycot the movie.

Sour miserable cow.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter said it best..

"Anne Hathaway as Catwoman? Like it. Can't wait to see her drop that cat in the wheelie bin."

Comedian @davidschneider

4. Avatar of They
    Thumb Up

Bane???

Lets hope Bane is the criminal master mind and serious kick ass fighter that he should be.

Not the mindless zombie made out in the first film. The previous bane wouldn't have outsmarted and then broken batman, he was barely able to figure out door handles.

1. Mike 68

Too much back-story

The problem with Bane is the huge backstory - only way to do it justice would be a TV series of the whoile Knightfall saga.

Well, a Bat-nerd can dream, can't I?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

This story is valueless without pictures.

'nuff said

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Thumb Down

Indeed

I clicked the link to see a red square turning into a piece of black film saying exclusive videos. Not the pictures I was looking for (although exclusive videos of said lady in catsuit would also do)

I'm sorry Lester, but this almost wipes out all your points for PARIS!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Ahhh....no.

"The announcement didn't actually name Hathaway's character as Catwoman, which keeps in line with Nolan's more grounded approach to the movie series."

Apparently Miss Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle with no mention of cats, leather, heroic zippers holding on at half mast, whips, burglary, cat impressions, negotiable affection, milky saucers, etc.

What ever characters turn up (and under whatever guises) I hope the story continues to have at least as much strength as the last film or even just the first; I hope because the Bane tends to be the Bat-franchise killer.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

mmm Hathaway.

mines the one with the Kleenex in the pocket

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah

Not Mrs Shakespeare then.

9. Will 7

Well at least it isn't Halley Berry.

Although Scarlett Johansen might have been good.

1. Kevin Pollock

The problem wasn't Halle...

...it was the appalling outfit she wore.

Michelle Pfeiffer's outfit (by the way - she is 52 this year!) was amazing. Berry's outfit was crap, and a major disappointment.

Both ladies are beautiful, and personally I thnk that Berry has even more of a feline sensuality about her.

Catwoman has to wear a catsuit, it's blindingly obvious. Anne Hathaway has the body to carry it off without doubt. Let's hope the costume designer for the new movie is sufficiently perverted to "get it".

1. Dave Bell

Costuming matters a lot

I have to agree.

Halle Berry's performance was pretty good, I thought, but she looked her best in the semi-improvised costume she wore mid-film, rather than in the "designed" costume worn later.

Yes, I know that both were "designed", and neither was inconspicuous, but that mid-film outfit was something you could believe she could use without a convenient phone-box to change in.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Oh... My...

How am I going to concentrate on work now?

11. Michael C

Keira Knightley?

I seriously hope she was not being consider. She's a great actress, but she does NOT have the body for the cat suit... Even Jessica Biel, one of the sexiest things walking Terra, would not be a good choice (she's not slinky enough). CatWoman requires someone both well endowed to fill the outfit, as well as small in stature and very slender, and also requires someone of fluid-like cat-esque movement capability. Biel also has the current gig with Marvel, so a job with DC might have been a conflict, so I'm also surprised to see her name on this...

Anne H., I can see it. There's a few others I can name as well. The other two suggestions, as much as i reaspect both and want to see them more on screen, would not have been good fits.

12. Clockworkseer

Repression? That's supposed to be interesting?

The problem is, the last thing catwoman should be about, as a character, is repression and negotiable affection.

You know, it's almost like the comic writers were afraid of the idea that a woman could choose to do something without that choice being influenced by repression, victimisation, or other such action by men. And don't even start on the Millerisation that led to the negotiable affection" backstory. A past as a victim or garden implement does not a strong female character make,

13. Ian Ferguson
    Dead Vulture

Wot no pictures?

I wish to register my protest at the lack of photographs included in this story. I demand all future stories about the next Batman film, anything to do with Batman, bats, cats, or films in general, be accompanied by a gratuitous photograph of Anne Hathaway in the tightest possible outfit.

All in the best possible taste, of course.

1. Stevie

Ah!

Tightest, *shiniest* possible outfit.

Shiny shiny shiny.

Mmmmmmmmmm

What was the question?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

curvy?

http://www.realbollywood.com/news/up_images/anne-hathaway3513.jpg

this is curvy enough for me, and she can curl up on my lap anytime.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

re : Curvy

Thanks for that link - she'll do. Though she'll also have to get the cat behaviour right to pull it off. Halle Berry and all prior CWs managed it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

Ding...

... Dong!!! That'll do...

3. Havin_it
      Paris Hilton

Siiiide booooob

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/125/6/d/Family_guy_V__PTV_side_boob_hr_by_JamButler274.jpg

15. Andrew the Invertebrate

So what's the story going to be?

Batman Begins - The Long Halloween

The Dark Knight - The Killing Joke

so what's it going to be this time round?

Also why Bane? Deacon Joseph Blackfire would have more fun

16. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Unhappy

Nope. Wrong Choice.

Don't get me wrong; Miss Hathaway is a head turner. However, Morena Baccarin is pure evil and would look good in a clingy cat-suit.

I would be buying catnip by the gross if that happened.

1. Kevin Pollock
      Thumb Up

@NoneSuch

Morena Baccarin...good suggestion. Totally hot in SG-1.

But I suspect they're lookng for a big name actress.

Actually - if Morena Baccarin had got it, they would have been obliged to choose a great outfit. The danger of a big name actress is that they might wimp out, like the Halle Berry Catwoman.

17. The Envoy
    Terminator

Commercially sexy...

With Tim Burton's weird/twisted Batman long gone all that can be expected of this Catwoman is a suitably safe USA-sexy action yawn.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Anne Hathaway

yes, so I've heard.

(OK, it's a very old joke...)

1. Dave Bell

Obvious lines

If I were writing the script I would be trying to sneak in a line about a "second best bed".

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bane?

Well, if anybody can actually pull it off & nail the character it HAS to be Tom Hardy. But not in a catsuit!!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Probably...

...worth remembering that everyone (actually EVERYONE) thought Heath Ledger was a really nonsensical choice for the Joker when that bit of casing was first announced...

21. chr0m4t1c

Oh no

Another Catwoman?

Does that mean we will also see the dreadful sight of overweight middle-aged women out on fancy dress pub crawls wearing ill-fitting cheap copies of the outfit?

22. Nev
    FAIL

There's no way this film wil live up to the hype of the last one...

... unless they can cast a soon to be dead actor in the role of the lead villain.

23. MyHeadIsSpinning
    Unhappy

Bane

With Tom Hardy as Bane, Nolan will at least get the visual right. He'd better make Bane of equal intelligence as Batman, but I'd be willing to speculate that Bane will be Charles Bronson in a different costume and a mask.

As for Anne Hathaway as Catwoman...I think putting Catwoman in Nolan's version of Batman is a mistake anyway, even as a love interest (which is why she'll be there).

This topic is closed for new posts.