back to article NASA still dreaming of last Atlantis launch

NASA is still hopeful it can extend the space shuttle programme to one last launch, and has "baselined" Atlantis's STS-135 mission for a 28 June lift-off. The agency explains: In late December, the agency’s Space Operations Mission Directorate requested the shuttle and International Space Station programs take the necessary …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom_

A bit sad

Even though there are better, cheaper ways to get into space in the pipeline, it's still rather sad to see the end of the space shuttles. I don't think there will be anything as cool until we get to the space elevator stage and even optimistically, that's looking like a 50:50 within the lifetime of anyone who has lived while the shuttles have been flying.

1. Stuart 22

Nostalgia ain't what is used to be ...

I really miss that other dinosaur - Concorde gliding into Heathrow approach on a clear summer evening. Whilst every other noisy overflight was detested - Concorde would for a few seconds cause everyone to pause, look up and just enjoy such a beautiful bird.

The Shuttle is another monument to man pushing the envelope. Perhaps in the wrong direction. But we will be sadder without it. Strange they (and the B747) were all born at around the same time and made it intop the 21C.

Nothing so ground breaking built or committed to being built this millennium ...

2. Charles Parker
    Coat

Bit of a half measure report

"Atlantis also will fly a system to investigate the potential for robotically refueling existing spacecraft and return a failed ammonia pump module."

Be interesting to know more about the robot refueler, do you have to tip?

3. Mark York 3 Silver badge

Dinosaur - Concorde

I really miss the sonic booms it made over the Devon skies & had the pleasure of seeing her in the distance flying in to LHR from a FGW train & flying over Sidcup.

A beautiful bird indeed & much missed.

4. Johan Bastiaansen
    Unhappy

Newton told me

@ Tom

Newton told me the space elevator will never work.

5. MrT

That spare external fuel tank...

... was needed after all! Otherwise it'll have been used for something like the biggest corn silo south of Texas...

6. Andy Taylor
    Unhappy

In my lifetime..

I will have seen Concorde come and go and now the Space Shuttle.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Pint

1st Generation systems are always impressive

Because until they were working no one actually *knew* they could work.

Apollo, Concorde, SR71 and Shuttle should all be remembered as the *start* of the art.

I expect to see much *better* versions of *all* of them before I die.

But *only* if people are prepared to make it happen.

Glass in tribute.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like