back to article US Navy puts stops on server spending

The US Department of the Navy is slashing server spending as of last week, with Vice Admiral David Dorsett, deputy chief of naval operations for information dominance (how's that for a title?), issuing a directive for all IT operations to get their act together and start virtualizing and consolidating servers and data centers to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Don't you think...

That a service vital to a country's security should have its IT systems based on sound practice, not on the current fad?

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Stop

And that's what they're doing

If you're not implementing virtualization, you're probably doing something wrong.

2. Charles 9

Controlling points of failure...

...sounds like a sound business practice to me. Moving away from storage-capable machines helps remove a number of potential security breaches in a security-oriented environment. Simplifying the leaves of the network tree makes repair jobs simpler (just have a few spare devices handy). Increased virtualization (already seen in the commercial world) smacks of better utilizing existing hardware: almost always a Good Thing.

Not saying this is the be-all end-all, but they're steps in the right direction.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Different risk

Changing one set of risks for another, which is probably not so easily controlled.

By all means, though, put stuff on desks that doesn't have local storage, or USB ports, etc. All that has been done long since: at the low end they were called dumb terminals, and the high end they were called X servers.

Actually, I *really* think that all sensitive data should be on a laptop on the back seat of a parked car.

1. Charles 9

Not so easily controlled?

What's easier to secure? One central location or hundreds of peripheral locations?

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Business card envy

Next time I get some business cards printed (which could be tomorrow if I can find a deal), *I* want to be a Chief of Information Dominance, too,

The question is, what's that in chinese, to print on the other side?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chinese

首席信息优势

although 行政母夜叉信息 might be more fun...

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

dominatrix!

> 行政母夜叉信息 - chief information dominatrix (at least according to google translate). Hmmm - it's got a nice ring to it, but might get me job offers I wasn't expecting :)

How about 首席信息征服者 ?

3. The Cube

Looks suspiciously like

An almost direct implementation of the EPA report to congress on data cent(er) energy efficiency to me. Not that that is a bad thing, just odd to see a bit of government doing something sensible for once, except for the dumass thin client fad du jour of course. Perhaps that is how the pork is being maintained, all the vendors get to put their hands in the taxpayers pockets for the thin client "upgrade".

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Welcome

@The Cube

"...except for the dumass thin client fad du jour of course".

Using technology that can trace its ancestry back to the IBM3270 and the DEC VT52/241 seems like a good idea to me. I *liked* VT220 terminals. I would have thought that new slim and energy efficient colour flatscreen displays offering central management would be very useful in mission critical and harsh environments like the Navy.

It might cut down on the number of PowerPoint presentations out there too...

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Joke

Obvious Datacenter Outsourcing?

Draft every employee of Google...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like