back to article Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo 2TB Nas

Apart from the silver-on-red “V” sticker, Buffalo's V-Series Linkstation Pro appears identical to the original LinkStation Duo Nas box. Even on the inside there are many similarities, such as Buffalo’s remote WebAccess, DLNA and iTunes DAAP media streaming along with a BitTorrent client and are standard. Likewise, the V-Series …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Remote Web Access - be careful

I have spent about 60 hours trying to get the remote web access to work. If your ISP will not give you a static IP then you will not be able to get remote web access to these servers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Static IP

Can you use something like dyndns.com for a static IP ? I'm running Tonido myself, on a netbook with an external usb hd and a 3g connection. It's oh so slow but I still have remote access and Tonido do the relay so I haven't had to worry about the IP at all. I would like a proper NAS but since I'm stuck with slow 3g I'm just not gonna bother.

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Static IP

Thanks AC - I've had a quick look at the website and it looks interesting. If I can summon the energy I'll go another round with the kit.

Regards,

HG.

2. Graham Lockley

Title Schmitle

As mentioned use dyndns (its free). My D-Link 320 can be set up to use it as can my Netgear router. The main problem I had with the D-Link was the routers firewall, sorted that by using static IP and putting the NAS in the DMZ. Not ideal but it works.

2. Jonathan White
    Boffin

Quick question...

Since the review didn't say - I assume the capacity values listed are for having the storage set up in RAID 0 configuration? So if you set it up in RAID 1 the capacities are halved?

3. censored

Will it really play nicely with mac?

I have a Buffalo Linkstation Pro, which was great when accessed by two windows machines. But since I switched one machine to mac, the NAS backups fail every time on the hidden mac files/folders. It backs everything up, but won't do the next backup until I manually reset it.

Buffalo themselves were stumped and so I'm stuck without having a reliable backup system in place.

4. Citizen Kaned

pah

we have an older one. 2 times a year it fucks up because it cannot handle british summer time. clever eh?

its actually a terrible POS. i wouldnt use anything by them ever again.

5. GBE

No CIFS or NFS support?

Perhaps I'm being dim, but a network storage device that doesn't have a CIFS server or NFS server seems a bit stupid....

Do people really want to access their files via TFTP?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: No CIFS or NFS support?

Where did you get that from? I've just looked at the datasheet on the link provided in the article and it clearly says CIFS is supported.

6. firefly
    Thumb Up

Good thing about Linkstations..

..is that they are very hackable. First thing to do with them after you take it out of the box is get rid of Buffalo's OS and install Debian. Or if that is too much for your needs then there is a choice of custom firmware if you want extra functionality. Community support is excellent, dare I say better than Buffalo's.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like