back to article Shaun the Sheep shorts to lure kids to Nintendo 3DS

Eurosport, Sky TV and Wallace and Gromit studio Aardman Animations will be streaming 3D video content to Nintendo's 3DS handheld, the Japanese giant said today, as it attempts to pitch the handheld gadget as something more than a portable games console. And the company said it was talking to more partners to bring such …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Hughes 1

Attention span

It depends on what they are doing. My sprogs could spend every hour of the day playing Mario Bros (if I let them - I don;t). Try and get them to do much else does result in the 'I'm bored' line (so I have to force them - which usually results in them being pretty happy eventually!). I wonder why video games have such a hold?

In other news, is it still £250? Still too expensive then, even for Shaun the Sheep, in 3D.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dollars, not pounds

It's being released in the states on March 27 for 249.99 USD, so unless the exchange rates have changed recently, £250 sounds a little steep.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kids on 3DS?

Nintendo have specified that the 3D features of a 3DS should not be used by those 6 and under as it may hinder the development of the little ones eyes.

So, that's a bit of a concern if Shaun the Sheep is aimed at children younger than 7. (I don't know if it is)

Won't somebody think of the children?

1. The Indomitable Gall

Age bracket

Shaun the Sheep is broadcast on CBeebies, the BBC channel aimed at the 0-6 age bracket.

But it's also broadcast on CBBC, which is aimed at slightly older kids.

Google told me this in about a minute.

1. Bassey

Re: Age Bracket

I don't claim to be a walking encyclopaedia on the subject but I've never seen Shaun the Sheep on CBeebies. Shaun the Sheep is on CBBC, aimed at older kids, whilst Timmy (also from Aardman and about a small sheep but, in this case, attending Nursery School) is on CBeebies and aimed at very young children.

Though, having said that, my 2 and 4 years olds love both of them.

2. Anon E Mus

It's for kids??

But.. I watch shaun the sheep, the disco episode with the pigs playing drum and bass was one of the best things ever broadcast on any broadcast medium ever.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

I haven't seen that one.

The one with the sheep trying to keep their footing on top of a vibrating washing machine, who then break out into a Riverdance routine is about the highlight of what I've seen so far...

Clearly I need a 3DS now, to catch up on all I've missed. You'll be telling me next LEGO is marketed at the under-12s...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

I watch Shaun the Sheep

I have to admit that I watch Shaun the Sheep and I'm in my late 30s. However, since there is a concern about 3D and children, I think this is a bad idea.

4. Graham Marsden
      Happy

@Tony Chandler

If you think Shaun the Sheep is aimed at kids, you don't know what you're missing!

Log on to BBC iPlayer and if you're not laughing within a minute, have someone check your pulse :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really?

In that case, I'll check it out. Would it help if I was drunk when I did it?

3. The Indomitable Gall

Attention Span.

Short attention span is a myth. It's just another "ee, when I were a lad..:" slab of grumpy-old-manism

4. Paul_Murphy

Can't help but feel...

That the 'short attention span' thing is a self-fulfilling prophesy fueled by this sort of activity - give kids a minute-long episode and they will watch it and then start complaining when it finishes.

What would you do if your programmes were split up into minute-long episodes?

Now . .what was I saying?

ttfn

5. Chris Hawkins
    Linux

Re: It's for kids??

0 to 6? !!!

Wooly Thinking! Whoever wrote that must be Baaarmy!

All the adults, I know who have watched afore-mentioned ovine escapades have joined the flock!

6. David Kelly 2

7 minutes

Shawn The Sheep episodes are 7 minutes. One minute episodes are not that much different.

Shawn The Sheep is shown on Disney in the USA, and is much more palatable to my adult taste than anything else there other than Phineas & Ferb.

Whatever happened to The Secret Show? That had lots of promise! The episode where earthlings ate the invading aliens was one of the best of any show ever.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Short

"You can easily picture kids watching amusing videos on their 3DSes during the short bus ride home from school"

With ADD and ADHD being tossed around these days by PsyD/MDs, wouldn't be surprised if that was meant as a "shortbus ride"

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

On the bus?

Where exactly are they going to find a WiFi connection to stream video over whilst riding the bus?

9. DJV Silver badge
    Coat

dip in, dip out appeal?

Shirley, that's SHEEP dip in.....

Anyway, Shaun the Sheep is wasted on kids - the number of in-jokes and references to films (e,g, Psycho, Close Encounters, Saturday Night Fever, Airplane) and other TV programmes (e.g. Fawlty Towers, Futurama) are way above most kids' comprehension!

10. juice

Mobile streaming?

How's that going to work on a device that doesn't have 3G built in? All those kiddies on the school bus are going to have to carry an Mifi device - and even then, I suspect there's very few places in the world where you have a reliable enough signal to be able to stream content while moving. I've certainly not had much luck with it on the train between Sheffield and Leeds!

Also, the preview over at Ars Technica indicates that you have to look dead straight at the 3DS to get the 3D effect. Which is liable to be a wee bit tricky to maintain on a bus with crammed-in seats and knackered suspension!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like