back to article Sony Ericsson sues over Clearwire swirl

Sony Ericsson is suing Clearwire over its allegedly confusingly similar logo, trying to get it stopped before the US network operator launches mobile phones bearing the branding. Sony Ericsson reckons Clearwire only decided on its logo in October 2009, and that it contacted the company in January 2010 to protest the similarity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The First Dave
    WTF?

Damages

$150,000 in cash

Is that all? Surely there has to be a few more zeroes or a 'million' missing from that figure, not worth getting the Judge out of bed for a claim that small.

1. Lance 3

Damages

They did say $150,000 plus damages.

2. Flugal
    WTF?

Erm

I had to squint almost to the point of closing my eyes before I could get them to look the even vaguely similar.

Perhaps Adidias should sue Ericsson for using a similar 3 stripes logo?

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Thumb Down

circle

I agree, the only thing that looks the same is the fact both logos are circular.

2. DrXym

I think confusion could be easy

If you saw tiny versions of each logo embossed onto a phone it's easy to see how confusion could arise.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Ocado

Isn't the Clearwire logo not also very similar to the Ocado logo?

4. Mike Hanna

Really?

Shirley Ocado should be more pissed off than Sony Ericsson?

5. Natalie Gritpants
    Boffin

This is what you get from style boutiques

All your logos are belong to the swirl. And they all look alike and have nothing to do with your company. If SonyEricsson's logo was an imaginative blend of S and E this would not have happened and it might be more recognized.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IF you squint

'If SonyEricsson's logo was an imaginative blend of S and E this would not have happened'

I thought it was. Very abstract but it is there; It takes some effort to see it (so therefore not worth it).

6. Graham 30
    WTF?

What about Barclaycard?

it might not be green but is a lot more similar with the swirl..

1. Lance 3

Not a phone

But it isn't a phone though.

7. DJV Silver badge
    Happy

That's marbleous!

My cats occasionally chase marbles around my house - I'm sure some of the marbles look EXACTLY like both of those logos. Does that mean I (or possibly my cats or maybe even the marble manufacturer) can sue both Sony Ericsson AND Clearwire over this?

I off to phone my lawyer...

8. JaitcH
    Stop

That 'Sony Ericsson swirl' was pinched from a mint-flavoured ...

gob-stopper I had years agp.

Talk about prior art.

9. fangster

Laundry detergent?

I also though the Sony Ericsson logo looked like it was for a washing liquid...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like