back to article Susan Boyle joins Lads from Lagos

It's a hearty round of applause today for the Lads from Lagos for an anarchic, highly-entertaining return to our email inboxes. We're obliged to reader Danny Caldwell for forwarding a missive suggestively entitled "Good News kindly download the Attachment from yahoo awards center", complete with a 419 first – a lovingly- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

We know what Mr Paul Williams does

He is standing in for the Wookie which usually sits at that desk position for the photoshoot.

2. Bill Fresher

Identity

Mr Paul Williams is also known as Stnaley O'Neal of Merrill Lynch.

http://www.alumni.hbs.edu/bulletin/2001/june/profile.html

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Identity

Good work.

3. The Indomitable Gall

Why...?

Why do Microsoft have a US flag in their UK award centre.

OK, maybe it's cos they're an American company.

But then why do they have a sign up saying "Michigan Lottery"...?

1. Havin_it
      FAIL

And there's more

That bottom line really is "every one a winner". I like the fact the guy in #1 is wearing a Stetson too.

One of the men in #3 appears to be Harold Shipman...?

#4 Nice to know that even if you only win a poxy plate, Call-Me-Dave will turn up for the presentation.

#5 I wish I could read what it says on that diploma ;)

1. Llanfair
        Grenade

Something you don't hear in the same sentence

Looks like they have photos of David Cameron and Harold Shipman next to each other.

2. Flugal

US flag / Michigan lottery / UK winner

In fairness, most of the credulous folk that are going to fall for this kind of scam aren't likely to get bogged down in details like, er, details.

"Strong on belief, Soft on evidence" applies not only to sky-fairy worshippers, but to 419 victims too.

4. Anton Ivanov
    Thumb Up

Your article misses on the interesting detail

So, what did the document properties of the "419 first" word document say about it?

1. Havin_it

^This!

Microsoft went to all the trouble of crafting their suite to leak all that interesting info about the sender, it'd be churlish not to use it.

C'mon, feed the nerds!

5. Dave 64 Silver badge

Paul Williams

> we're not sure quite what Mr Paul Williams does when he's not dispensing cash to lucky winners

I think he's the guy who markets a range of rice and cook-in sauces

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Best laugh all day

...it's just hilarious. The fact people still fall for this shit is even funnier.

They've got the "death by hideous word document" down to a tee though...I've seen worst docs than this floating about the office.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably

..someone has reported the 070 number for abuse, so that the guilable can be protected.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Christopher Rogers
        Headmaster

Split hairs much?

That is all.

Funny email all the same.

2. Steve Martins
        Headmaster

Guilable - adj.

The ability to use cunningness or guile in the act of separating stupid people from their money...

1. Ted Treen
          Boffin

But...

...if they're THAT stupid, how did they get their money in the first place?

2. Anonymous Coward
          FAIL

Guilable - adj.

like Steve Martins who was told Guilable is not a word in the English dictionary so he looked it up.

2. Arnold Matthews

Please don't.

We (419eater and Scamwarners) don't advocate that. Leave them be, and potential victims can find them with an Internet search. We don't want scammers to get new free email addresses and free 070 numbers and have to wait for them to show up on search engines.

8. CmdrX3
    FAIL

Isn't the internet priceless

This is one of the funniest 419s I've seen in years. SuBo as award secretary. I love the way they even show you a picture of the cash.

1. Steve the Cynic
      WTF?

Picture of cash...

What I like is the fact that in a UK-lottery-oriented message, they talk about pounds sterling, then show you a picture of US dollars...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Targets

People who speak english are not going to be fooled by these, but people who can't tell its bad english, the non english speaker is the likely victim for these scams. people like the person who wrote it, who think it reads just fine.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What would Bob do?

Where's Bob Servant when you need him?

http://www.bobservant.com/BobServantEmails.html

11. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Very Funny

I'm inclined towards chalking this up as a fake, the layout, animated gifs, the images, the English all scream fake. Very funny however!

12. Juan Inamillion

@Very Funny

No shit Sherlock.

That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

too true!

If I got everything that I had "been awarded" in emails to my spam account I'd be a multi millionaire, have a 10 foot dick and have HMRC owing me thousands in back taxes :-)

1. mmiied

re: too true

"have a 10 foot dick" mine would also delever cheep printer ink

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Surely the involvement of Ms. Boyle is a good thing.

after all, one can "dream the dream", surely?

14. Graham Bartlett
    Boffin

Is it just me?

... or does the word "booty" in conjunction with the name "Susan Boyle" make anyone else *VERY* worried about reading further?

(Disclaimer: Yes that is a shallow comment based on appearance. And yes, I'm not so much an oil painting myself as a creosoted shed. Flame on with anything else.)

15. LinkOfHyrule
    Coffee/keyboard

new graphical style

This is so funny! I used to really love the plain text scams with their poor grammar, liberal use of upper case and digits and comical fake names, but this new graphical style is fricking hilarious!

16. ttuk
    Happy

haven't

seen anything like this since about 2001/2 when spam filtering was very non existent, nowadays I never get 419s, but reading this makes me realise I actuallly miss them..

Time to delve into the spam folder on my gmail account

17. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

A letter from Barclays Bank

I had one last week.

It said, "Dear esteemed customer." I read no further: Barclays has not esteemed a customer for decades.

18. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

They stretched the bloody picture sideways too

Which she does not need. It's over-wide and most unflattering.

This topic is closed for new posts.