back to article Cuts 'could hit NHS patient record plans'

The British Medical Association believes cutbacks will hinder efforts to allow patients to access their records online. The professional association for doctors says that many NHS organisations do not have IT systems which would allow patients online access to their medical details, and that computing is one of the first areas …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

"and for more information to be recorded at the point of care."

Oh, great.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whats your beef?

i dont get it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Sod patient records

IT is the least of the problems facing the NHS, the current cuts and white paper plans will kill the NHS.

Anon as you know where I work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sod patient records

Agreed. The NHS will be nothing more than a brand once the current plans are through.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone actually want their records online?

My doctor handed me the opt-out form the first time I saw him after it was announced you had to opt-out. Did the same for all of his patients.

Why would anyone want their medical information on a database somewhere, where it can be sold off to any "interested party" who asks, or made into some proprietary database format which becomes obsolete after 10 years. My paper records go back nearly 40 years and have survived fires (in the safe) and the surgery moving. I imagine they will still be accessible in another 40.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opted out?

I'd like online access to make sure that I'm not on the system. I filled in an opt-out form at the first opportunity but it seems that you don't get a confirmation that you are actually opted out. Either that or the form has been accidentally "lost" ....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NHS IT planning rules out the possibility of success

But individual doctors demanding or working on a solution to a problem tend to succeed.

Productising those solutions without losing control of them - obviously best done under a FLOSS licence - offers possibilities of successes.

The management is obsessed with centralisation of everything, alas. (And with avoiding blame)

6. Captain Scarlet
    WTF?

opt out

What I have to opt out by seeing a doctor who I havent seen for 15 years for a form, I don't want my records online

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck in A&E then

So if you are unlucky enough to arrive unconscious in A&E at night you don't want the doctors to be able to know any of your heath care information - medication, allergies, past medical history?

The idea that the info will be sold on to 3rd parties is just scaremongering.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and btw

Your current notes aren't on paper now, they are stored on the GP's IT system (usually EMIS on inVision) on their server.

Notes from before your surgery computerised (usually happened late 90s- to early 00s) will be held on paper, they are not generally in a safe, they will be on a shelf somewhere. When you move surgeries a print out might be generated for your doctor/secretary to manually transfer the salient details across to their computer but it might well just be an electronic transfer - no paper involved.

Electronic records already exist - they are just not centralised or accessible from outside your doctor's surgery(ies)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like