back to article Games sales slip in 2010

The gaming world has produced smaller figures this year and while strenuous Kinect, Move and Wii exercise could potentially shed a few stone, we're actually talking sales numbers here. According to games tracker NPD, the US saw almost a six per cent drop in physical game purchases last year. This includes portable, console and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. fred slack 1
    Unhappy

Garbage

Maybe the decline is because the games I've seen are garbage. Graphics seem to be the only area they spend any money or time. No plot..storyline is juvenile...or just nothing but hack and slash. Besides, this downloading and not owning the game is BS. Can't wait for the first one to try and blackmail you into buying the game twice or three times.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're not that bad

I can't say anything about other digital distributors, but Steam allow you to download any game you've bought from them as many times as you want, to as many computers as you want. That's more freedom than you get with certain other physical publishers.

The downside is that you almost always have to be running their client while you play a game you bought from them, I don't like that at all.

2. Richard 81

Overall spending

Not sure how overall spending is calculated, as I'm pretty sure the digital distribution service don't declare their sales figures.

3. Dick Pountain

Pun-ish

I declare "Downturn Abbey" to be a new all-time low-point in punning subheads.

4. tuna 1
    Thumb Down

Yay!!!!

Glad to hear it, couldn't happen to a sweeter bunch of corps! I hope they respond by yanking more end user features and rights to "combat piracy" and keep all the honest sheeple on the data mining tit so they can pay fees and stay 'in touch' for the next crippling update/patch. Said it before, say it again: I'd rather play D2, HL1 or FC1 instead of getting all comfy and cozy with my new bestest friends Ubi or EA. On second thought, thanks anyway, I'll get the D&D manuals out or set-up the Risk board.

*we all know how bad the pirates are hurting by the DRM...poor bastards have to wait a day or two to play the games. Poor SOB's.

5. Andy Farley
    Thumb Down

I bought Medal of Honour.

It had 6 hours of gameplay. For £30. The rest of the time you were supposed to find being team killed by shouty pre-teens fun.

Never again.

1. asdf
      Joke

lol

Go to youtube and look up General Minus. The funniest tkiller on the inet has a cool british accent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Similar thoughts

I find recently that I spend more time cursing the horribly unfriendly interfaces of games than I do actually playing them. Guys, HCI is not about making your games easy, it's about making them playable.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

About the same cost per minute...

As your average (non 3D) film in London which will cost you ~£10 for <2 hours entertainment...

But seriously, console games are all over too fast and too easy. Buying a proper PC game, Civ, Total War, Supreme Commander, Stalker etc is far better. According to Steam (which I personally think is the dogs bollocks, easy, cheap and I have no petty concerns over the client) I've done over 330hrs on Empire TW, 50-60 on each of the 3 Stalker games...

6. Tigra 07
    Thumb Down

Without a doubt...

Sony will blame this on piracy as usual, rather than the quality of this years games or belt tightening.

7. Daniel B.
    Unhappy

Crap games

Some games are kinda good... but my current year's share of games amounts to:

- inFAMOUS

- Bioshock

- Bioshock 2

- Fallout 3

You'll probably notice that only Bioshock 2 came out this year. And Fallout 3 is one of the few games left that have a good story, and isn't oriented to the ADD Halo-playing crowd. Bioshock 2 does have a decent story, but it is mostly told via diaries. True RPGs seem to have gone away, now all games seem to be CoD: MW or Halo clones. :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like