back to article Ace Reg reporter in career suicide shock

After almost five years, I'm rejoining the massed ranks of the Reg readership. Assuming my crippling hangover has subsided by then, I'll be reading from Monday in my new post as technology correspondent of the Daily Telegraph. It's been an absolute pleasure to serve this unique and esteemed organ, which has some of the most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. HighlightAll
    Pint

I always check the author

This time I hoped it WAS Lewis Page.

Good luck in your new job.

1. Marcus Aurelius
      Grenade

s/Lewis Page/Andrew Orlowski/g

'nuff said

1. Joe Cooper
        Heart

Page and Orlowski

Page and Orlowski are my favorites and the prime reason I read the Register after Vance left.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Coat

Re: I always check the author

Nah Lewis Page is harmless (at least as an author); I find his articles seem to be written by A Man From Mars in the kind of spitting bile temper of Naomi Campbell just before she launches another phone at someone.

At least he allows comments. I vote for Andrew "no comments please" Orlowski instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: I always check the author

"At least he allows comments. I vote for Andrew "no comments please" Orlowski instead."

You paying attention Orlowski?

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Re: I always check the author

I will be taking very careful note of all your comments and passing them on to no one so that nothing will be done about them.

I do agree, though, that you lot don't have nearly enough places on this site, nor indeed the internet, to vent spleen and make terrible jokes and say disquieting things about women and suchlike.

Anyway, BACK ON TOPIC, people.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Re: Re: I always check the author

Good luck Chris, if I could moderate all the arsiness that is to come on your Telegraph stories I would.

1. Tim
              Pint

Have you READ a DT comment thread?

They're even more soul-destroyingly awful than the incontinent rants on the Beeb's Have Your Say. This place is like the Oxford Union by comparison.

Anyway, Chris, good luck! Enjoy the beers.

2. Real Ale is Best
              Go

Oooh!

Can we write sarky comments there too?

2. 42
          Unhappy

Unlikely

Orlowski does not listen to anyone who disgrees with him.

I'm with the other posters, it is a pity to lose one of the few good balanced writers from ElReg!

3. irish donkey
          WTF?

Andrew's articles frequently annoy me!

So I sent him a mail and he replied and I replied and then he replied and I replied again and then he said if you feel that strongly write an article and we will publish it.

From the dialogue we had I don't think he is a bad as his articles make him out to be maybe just a corporate guy. Everybody has to pay their mortgage somehow.

But his lack of comments really pi$$es me off because sometimes he just regurgitates the corporate bullshit we all have to deal with everyday in work. (those of us with jobs) and I just want to point out the critical flaw in his arguments.

But the flip side is he does let us know what the corporate nutters think.

Can I have a 50/50 icon for good and bad?

2. AchimR
    Pint

Bye bye

Was a fun ride.

Enjoy your new job!

Beer for ya

3. Alexander Hanff 1
    Thumb Up

Congratulations

Congratulations Chris, it has been a pleasure to know you and read your work; I wish you all the best in your new role.

Keep in touch :)

Alexander Hanff

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck Chris

You have a monumental task ahead of you with the Telegraph's tech pages which appear to be aimed at users of - well the telegraph actually with articles that alternate between 'can it ever be acceptable for women to use a home telephone?' and 'Steven Fry says this is the best thing ever - so it is'.

So are you the Reg's very own trojan horse on Fleet Street? A stealthy replacement of the Telegraph's journalists by the likes of yourself, Lester, Lewis and of course the very lovely Moderatrix would be guaranteed to raise the blood pressure of elderly conservatives everywhere.

5. Tom_

Farewell

Goodbye and good luck in the new job.

6. Gianni Straniero
    Pint

Good night, and good luck

Congratulations on your new role. I might take the occasional copy of the Torygraph now...

1. frank ly

No need to buy (or take) a copy

The Torygraph is available online - yes, really!

Good luck Chris :)

7. FailKing
    Pint

Always looked forward to your articles.

Good luck in the new job.

8. Dave 64 Silver badge
    Pint

fare thee well

Thanks for all your work on El Reg - best of luck in the new job. You'll be missed

9. Marky W
    WTF?

Weird

Why would a national newspaper hire you, someone with actual knowledge of technology, to be a technology correspondent?

Next thing they'll be hiring science correspondents with a science degree. Or a medical correspondent who believes homeopathy is actually horseshit and vaccines are actually a jolly good idea.

</rant>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Cruel ...

... but very, very fair comment!

10. Desk Jockey
    Dead Vulture

Give them a smacking

Best of luck Chris and please do me a favour and give some of the so called experts in that organ a smacking for the dire quality of some of their reporting!

Oh and tell them from me, "Less FOI requests please, I have more than enough work to do already as it is!"

Cheers and good luck.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

dire quality of reporting

That should be *fewer* FOI requests...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Good luck!

And please, make a difference.

12. Astarte

Bon Voyage

Dear Chris,

I'll be sorry to see you go as I've always respected and enjoyed your views, opinions and reporting style. I wish you all the best for your future with the Telegraph and I'm sure you'll be a tremendous asset to that mighty organisation.

Make it work and don't let the standards slip.

You've been a stalwart member of El Reg – thank you for being here.

Astarte

13. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Congratulations and good luck Chris. You will be missed.

14. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Stop

All The Best

From the last ever Mark n Lard............

15. EddieD
    Pint

Well done!

Congrats on the new job - these days they're fairly scarce resources - I may have to drop my (lefty) predjudices and have a look at what they say now that I know they've got someone working for them who knows what's what!

Have a good night, and don't drink too little!

16. Christopher W
    Coat

eJourno moves to Dead Tree media shocker!

I'm just jealous ;-) All the best and I might even pick up a copy of the Telegraph to read your stuff once in a while. (it'd be the first time I'd read the Telegraph in mannnnnnnyyyy years)

In other news, does this mean there's now a Technology correspondence post waiting to be filled by me at Reg Towers?

Mine's the one with the CV and an envelope with the interviewer's name on it full of non-sequential used twenties in it

17. MinionZero
    Pint

Good luck in the new job!

I hope you help wake up the Daily Telegraph readers as to how technology is being abused as well as used. A broadsheet with a cutting technology commentary, now that would be something new. :)

18. Dr. Funk.
    Unhappy

congrats

Sad to see you go but congrats on the new pos

It's almost enough to make me buy the Torygraph but not quite.

May sneak a peek at the copy the right wing bore down the pub comes down with though.

Bonne Chance!!

19. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Pint

So long and thanks for all the fish

OK, maybe not, but a big 'thank you' for your contributions to El Rag and good luck with your future carer.

A virtual pint from me!

20. ydad
    FAIL

I used to enjoy reading your articles

I certainly wont be reading any of the tripe you will be under duress to write while working for that right wing trash rag.

Best of luck.

21. Grease Monkey Silver badge

All the best...

... but the Telegraph? Have you no shame?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Infiltrate the broadsheets

That's the spirit. At least there will now be another journalist working for so-called mainstream media who understands the Reg is not a "technology blog".

I've lost count of the stories I've followed on the Reg for weeks before they've been picked up by the newspapers etc.

Meanwhile, any news of your replacement at Vulture Central?

23. Whitter
    Pint

Best wishes

Good luck on the new post!

24. IglooDude
    Pint

Fair winds and following seas

You've done solid work at El Reg, but (or more appropriately "and") I think it's safe to say that the Telegraph needs you a lot more than the Register does.

25. Llanfair

Good luck

I am sad to see that you are leaving the Reg, but I do hope that at least on the Daily Telegraph, the readers will now be a bit more informed when it comes to technology.

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Pint

Or

Maybe they just need someone the pad out out the paper now advertisers have cut back their spending......

Still, as my old instructor used to say.... so long as you get paid for your work, thats all that matters.

26. Ned Leprosy Silver badge
    Pint

Congratulations

Well done! Sad to see you leaving, though.

27. deive
    Go

Congrats

and gl. woo!

28. Red Bren
    Thumb Up

Anger and despair

That's what I usually feel when I read your articles. Especially the Phorm ones. Thank you for some brilliant journalism. Any chance you can syndicate your output on here?

29. peter 5 Silver badge
    Pint

Sorry to hear you're being demoted...

<---but here's one more towards the hang over. Good luck, and all the best.

(And I vote we get aManFromMars to fill the post - because I'd like to see him demoted into the MSM.)

30. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Torygraph surprisingly good on tech

They were the first to put the whole issue online and have good tech sections.

Unlike the Gruniad's belief that trying to look liked WiReD makes an article readable.

My theory is that a bunch of tech hacks came back drunk form CES, went to the wrong paper, discovered the TG has a good canteen and set up home.

Since the management and the retired colonel readers always skip that section they haven't been discovered yet.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Cheerio Chris, and thanks for your great articles

I wish you the best of luck in your new post

32. oldredlion
    Pint

Torygraph

I thought they were going behind a paywall?

<Private Fraser>

They're dooooooomed

</Private Fraser>

Good luck, anyway.

33. Petrea Mitchell
    Go

Good luck

..and thanks for all the fish, er, stories.

34. blackworx
    Thumb Up

All the best

Hope the rest of the gang can keep up your standard of work. Your database state pieces in particular put the others to shame.

Best wishes!

35. adnim

Be good

and if you can't be good, be good at it. Remember that whatever you do, it's only illegal if you get caught ;-)

Best wishes for the future.

36. Johnny Canuck
    Pint

Electrons to paper

Good luck! Will the new job have actual deadlines?

37. No. Really!?
    Pint

Best of luck ...

... in the new job and putting to together a stupendous hangover!!

38. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Good Luck!

Before they brainwash you, tell us one thing?

How much does St. Steve of Cupertino pay for a favourable iReview, or are all other broadsheet technology correspondents just brown-nosing so they get more free iTems?

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Coffee/keyboard

Free iTems?

Not coffee, brown ale!

Nice one.

Oh, and good luck at the Torygraph Chris, not that I'll ever read you again if they disappear behind a paywall...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

iTems

expect your cease and desst notce n the post any day...

how dare you use the lower case letter between U and O on your keyboard? wthout payng apple blood money?

and Chrs, good luck n your new job, but once you have moved to the telegraph, s growng a slly lttle tash and buyng jack boots a job requrement?...

39. MichaelWilliams
    IT Angle

RIP bro

Pouring one out right now.

40. peredur

Telegraph

When I was 16 I came home from school with a copy of the Telegraph under my arm. My father looked at it, looked at me and said, "Either it guz o' tha duz". Never bought a copy since, and don't plan to.

Unless you turn its tech pages into something worth reading, of course.

Peredur.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Telegraph

> My father looked at it, looked at me and said, "Either it guz o' tha duz".

He sounds illiterate, how did he know it was the Telegraph?

Seriously, I'd have kept hold of the Telegraph, and put a copy of the Economist under the other arm. With the appropriate combination he'd have gone into orbit and you could then stay at home.

And God knows what he'd have thought if he caught you browsing El Reg!

41. Dunstan Vavasour

Ashlee Vance

Blimey, first Ashlee Vance at the NYT, now you at the Telegraph ... is el Reg taking over the MSM?

42. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Out of the frying pan...

Good luck, Chris. The Register's loss is Tory Middle England's gain.

Don't forget your coat.

43. thecakeis(not)alie

Good luck Chris!

You will be missed.

44. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
    Pint

@Chris

Good luck sir. I quite enjoyed all your pieces here on El Reg. You are now giving me a reason to look up the Daily Telegraph and read their technology section!

All the best, and I hope it goes well for you. Tonight, I'll be drinking my pint in your honour!

45. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Good luck.

Your coverage on both WikiLeaks and Phorm/other ISP based user monitoring systems has been excellent. You'll be missed..

Good luck at the Telegraph.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

what about the phorm coverage ?

" I'll be reading from Monday in my new post as technology correspondent of the Daily Telegraph."

all the best Chris,

but AFAIK the Daily Telegraph does not run an anonymous posts message board and that will make it harder to contribute both here and there on your contibutions....

perhaps you can ask them to add such a feature ASAP

Ohh AND There's the matter of PHORM, no one reports that like you do Chris so will your PHORM coverage also be featured over there and/or also back here where its best covered all these years ?

47. Edwin
    Pint

Cheers!

And maybe we could get a new column on the joys of reporting on tech to myopic luddites?

48. decoherence
    Joke

REALLY?

"It's been an absolute pleasure to serve this unique and esteemed organ, which has some of the most knowledgable and sharpest readers around. I couldn't have wished for a better place to learn how to be a reporter."

You would think on a solemn occasion like this you could be at least a LITTLE serious...

Best wishes on the new job!

49. slack
    Pint

Congrats

Hope the new gig works out well for you.

50. Steve 114
    Happy

Advertorials

And given the advertorial propensities of that oh-so Gemini Organ, don't you think it's time the WiFi connectivity of certain major 'Cruise Ships' was checked out by an effusive expert?

51. Whirlpool

Good luck

Best of luck in the future, Chris - be a shame not to see more of your stories here.

Matt M.

52. dephormation.org.uk
    Happy

Good Luck, and Best Wishes

I'm sorry to learn Chris is going.

I nominated him for a journalism prize for his outstanding and fearless reporting on the Phorm affair.

Does this mean I have to read Hugo Drayton's Telegraph now? ;o)

Good luck, and best wishes!

53. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

LOL telegraph what, poor sole

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/

LOL at the many posters in the technology section at least, how can anyone spend time there and enjoy that feedback.

You will never slag the el reg posters again after spending some time reading over there :D

poor Chris, we feel your pain yet to come, i really hope the telegraph expenses file benefits are worth it mate.

54. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

its a shame

its a shame he's going , and just as

Experian acquires majority stake in Techlightenment, you just know their up to no good too.

http://www.nma.co.uk/3022373.article?cmpid=NMAE01&cmptype=newsletter&email=true

The purchase is part of Experian’s global strategy to develop its digital marketing activities. Adding Techlightenment means it will be able to provide social media marketing tools to its clients.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Chris who?

Exactly.

This topic is closed for new posts.