back to article Microsoft sucks open source into its WebMatrix

Microsoft is embracing open-source on the web, offering a development kit that targets non-techie programmers. The company has released WebMatrix, a set for tools and templates for use with open-source PHP apps like WordPress, Joomla!, DotNetNuke, and Umbraco in addition to open-sourced .NET code. Nearly 40 open-source …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. markjbrown
    Megaphone

Watch the Live Launch WebMatrix Event Jan 13.

If you would like to watch the Launch Event Live go to, http://web.ms/enter to download a reminder for your Calendar. Event starts tomorrow, Jan 13 at 12:30PM EST with Launch Keynote and includes 3 hours of live content with a panel discussion and interviews with Microsoft engineers who built the technologies behind WebMatrix plus members and leaders from the DotNetNuke, Umbraco, Joomla and Drupal communities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      IT Angle

Re: Watch the live launch...

"If you would like to watch..."

Hi Mark of Microsoft.

At first I couldn't think why I'd want to watch this stuff - just think of all the more worthwhile things I could spend 3 hours doing! - but then it occured to me, I'd be able to tell my grandchildren I saw it, that I was (virtually) there the very moment when the world changed, when the revolution started...

aw nevermind, I think I'll pop down the pub instead.

2. Tom 15

*shudders*

WebMatrix is disgusting!

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Easy?

Once again Microsoft miss the point.

I'm all in favour of making web development easy, but until they find a way to take programmers out of the loop completely, and produce a totally codeless web development platform they are doomed. Otherwise all that happens is you get the 'easy' bit for free using templates etc, but as soon as your needs go at all 'off piste', you're forced into coding again.

Luckily we don't have to rely on Microsoft!

4. Mikel
    Black Helicopters

Embrace, extend, extinguish

I'm going to go ahead and censor myself. The comment I would have writ here could not possibly have gotten past El Reg's censor. Read it somewhere else. I doubt this will post anyway, so it becomes in a sense an expression of my discontent with the local moderation to the moderator who's rejecting this post you're unlikely to see.

And yet somehow in the above I've managed to insert some carefully coded and insightful commentary about the article discussed if you're willing to make the skull sweat required to figure out what I'm saying, just in case it makes it through.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Joomla

MS have been pushing ad's out for Joomla on MS platform for a number of months now. It all comes crystal clear.

Still mine runs on Linux., just coz it's cheaper.

6. Flybert
    WTF?

open source only on .. WTF?

WebMatrix Beta 3 is only available on platforms that support Microsoft .NET Framework 4

Was interesting until that .. only use Linux / Apache / MySQL on my webserver .. don't even like to install FrontPage extensions on hosting accounts

Do people use Wordpress, Joomla, DotNukeNet on Windows Servers ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embrace And Extend

This reads like "please use our vendor-lock-in-enabled stuff, you know-nothing nitwits that are our core market, for now we added some open source-in-name-only stuff to our stuff. see?"

I am very much not their intended audience, which may or may not be a factor in how hollow this sounds to me. But then, it ought to, it's their speciality. They are primarily a marketeering company, after all.

1. horse of a different colour
      Heart

@Embrace

Open source? Presumably there's nothing stopping you porting it to a LAMP stack...

Go on, DOUBLE DARE YOU.

8. doperative

open source WebMatrix

Pleas stop working on real Open Source and waste your time on WebMatrix ..

9. Maryland, USA
    WTF?

Kinky name, don'tcha think?

WebMatrix = WebMistress + dominatrix...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

desperate to get a worse webserver into use

are they.

11. lightweight

Microsoft: Bandwagon Jumper

They know that free software stacks, languages, frameworks, CMSs, etc. are where the market's been going. The vast majority of those are now hosted on LAMP systems.

Microsoft is DESPERATE not to be left behind. So they've swallowed their pride somewhat, thrown a bit of money at open source developers, got them to port open source stuff to run on a Window's proprietary stack. Microsoft is hoping to avoid oblivion by catering for the "developer" demographic who are happy to point and click rather than know what they're doing.

So now we can all look forward to an updated version of the travesty that is/was MS Frontpage: people with the power to create, but zero judgement or aesthetic to know *what* to create (or how to fix it when it goes badly wrong).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For a supposedly market leader and visionary

they do an awful lot of trying to catch up, don't they?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like