back to article Microsoft's Novell patent cartel dodges German regulators

A Microsoft-led consortium is still set to buy 882 Novell patents. Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated. PC World reported here that plans to create CPTN Holdings have been withdrawn, with the publication citing information from the website of the German Federal Cartel Office. CPTN withdrew its application to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e

So in other words

They ARE up to no good to the point that they're avoiding the delay & Streisand effect caused by a trial in Germany.

Dirty work is afoot.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Can't Germany ...

... up the ante (anti?) by invoking concerns at EU level?

3. Daniel B.
    Unhappy

Bad News Indeed

"Backed by Apple, Oracle, and EMC as well as Microsoft, CPTN is spending $450m to buy a bag of Novell patents."

That sounds like the Evil Corp League of America. Don't know about EMC, but Apple, Oracle and Microsoft will happily engage in mass source-closing movements to bully their propietary stuff as the only option. This is indeed very bad.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
    Boffin

Simple soluton...

Just outlaw software patents and the value of CPTN goes to Nil.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Right..

let's just do that then

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing informatoin

Late to the party and missing information. Even the consistently anti-Microsoft Groklaw accepts that it is a procedural move to allow more time for review and that the papers will be refiled.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Groklaw is not necessarily anti-Microsoft

they are mainly against every and any (dishonest) corporate entity that is trying to kill/damage FOSS. However, far from being a [insert_your_favorite_company_name]-bashing site, they competently comment on public documents from US courts of justice and official press releases. In case you didn't follow the whole saga, on Apple vs. Psystar Groklaw was squarely on Apple's side (which is far from being an FOSS friend). And if one day Microsoft will do the right thing towards FOSS, don't worry, Groklaw will be on their side too, but don't hold your breath waiting for that day. With their bad anti-competitive behavior coded deep into their DNA, Microsoft would never be able of such a gesture. Even if you don't like Groklaw, reading some court documents from Comes vs. Microsoft available on their site will be a real eye opener in case of course you care about your digital freedoms.

6. Blarkon

Open source wants, open source can pay

Given that open source makes so much money that contributers are rolling in cash, why don't the open source vendors buy the patents?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Anyone gave them a call ?

I mean .. no one seems to know what's in the deal but has anyone gave em a buzz and tried to get an interview ? ( i hope so )

Meanwhile i suggest we all write Novell 's Ian Bruce and maybe ( i did ) after a few thousand emails we may get an answer as to what's sold and if any patents relate to linux of foss/floss/GNU.

Stop complaining you don't know and write too .. pressure might help squeeze some info.

This is a new age where large numbers get attention.

Ric

8. Rob Moir

still seems defensive to me

It seems like a defensive move to protect the companies involved against patent trolls to me because of the fact that its being done by a consortium. I'd be rather more worried if any one company acquired them, but a consortium where all members would have to agree action before its taken seems rather more like a defensive movement to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Nah, it's purely offensive!

Their actual goal is to keep Google off from the mobile computing market. All these companies except EMC have launched multiple lawsuits against Google Android and a stash of patents always comes handy in such situations.

9. Velv

Consortium

Why not let the the Open Source Initiative become an equal partner in the Consortium?

They don't need to buy the whole 882 patents on their own to protect them, they just need a say in the consortium.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like