back to article Mythical 'iPad 2' caught on camera

There's a smattering of videos YouTubing their way across the web that purport to show the oft-rumored iPad 2 in plain view at last week's Consumer Electronics Show. The Reg is highly skeptical as to their authenticity, but here are two for your edification and enjoyment: The videos are purported to be of a dummy case …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ratfox
    Thumb Down

At CES?

What would it be doing there, since Apple was not?

Why would an accessory manufacturer bring something like that to a show, since they are obviously not allowed to show it?

Good call on the reaction from Apple. If this video is still on Youtube at the end of the day, it is fake.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Fake

Apple designers would never design a speaker grille that ugly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

I reckon they're more likely to style it on the iphone 4 than... um... a toaster.

4. Si 1
    Big Brother

Icons

Lots of little things in that to suggest it's fake. The home screen icons are completely wrong (and hideous). While it's possible Apple have re-styled them, they look more like the icons you'd see on a cheap Chinese knock-off of the real thing.

Apple don't label their devices with a version number. The iPhone 4 doesn't say "iPhone 4" on the back, it just says "iPhone".

Apple have also stopped putting a label on the back of the iPhone showing the storage size, so I would be surprised to see an "iPad 2" with the storage size label like this fake has.

5. Darryl
    Thumb Up

Love it

"rapid-response legal takedown team"

Brought visions to my mind of a bunch of guys wearing tastefully-camouflaged Armani suits and carrying $3000 stealth briefcases... "Hut hut hut hut hut... Pardon me, sir. You'll have to come with us...."

6. Jolyon Smith
    Thumb Up

It may be fake but...

..is it my imagination, but isn't it slightly bigger than current iPads?

If so, I hope it isn't fake, or that it is perhaps a genuine "dummy" deliberately "spoiled" to make it readily identifiable but good enough for case and accessory manufacturers to use as a template for their products.

I like the idea of an iPad, but as a couch surfing device, not a mobile, oversized phone. That being the case, I personally want a BIGGER screen, not a smaller one, as most other device manufacturers seem to be aiming for.

So I am quietly hoping that the iPad 2 will indeed be bigger, even if this case isn't a 100% accurate repro - fake or not.

7. Gregorski
    FAIL

iPad2 on the back shows its fake

Apple don't write things like iPad2 on the back of there products in big duplo letters.....

8. uhuznaa

Wrong font...

... for the "iPad 2" on the back.

And then the profile is extremely unsexy, although I wouldn't put it above Apple to come up with such an ugly angle, the iPod touch isn't much different. The speaker though is unbelievable.

9. Scott Anderson
    Grenade

Nice sound loop in the first vid

Probably a supposed Large Group Of Tradeshow Visitors crowd noise.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home button

Wasn't the iPad 2 supposed to be removing the home button in favour of a gesture?

11. Bill B
    Pint

Ahh the iPad rumours have started

I was getting worried but I'm happy now.

I can look forward to months of speculation on how it will be made, whether the latest order of 10" e-ink screens from a factory in Mongolia are for the iPad, the latest leak of feature set and of course, the interminable handbagging between Fandroids and Fanbois.

Life is good

12. Mark .
    Thumb Down

Islate vaporware over again

The only thing worse than all the hype, is the months of rumour and vaporware news we get in the months preceding any possible announcement.

Apple are the only company where the media think "An announcement that there'll be an announcement" counts as news!

The myth is that coverage of Apple is because of their products - but the fact is that the immense coverage appears *before* products are announced, let alone released (and then, the free advertising they get surely gives them a huge advantage over any other products).

13. fred slack 1
    Grenade

secret sex

Actually, it was a mating with Nessy

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like