back to article Couch potatoes riddled with heart disease

Your risk of getting a serious heart problem doubles if you spend more than four hours a day watching TV or playing computer games. If you spend that much time in front of a screen you are extremely unlikely to be doing enough exercise to counteract the bad effects of couch potato-dom. This is the headline finding of an Anglo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael
    Pint

cause of death

"People who spend excessive amounts of time in front of a screen - primarily watching TV - are more likely to die of any cause and suffer heart-related problems.

more likely to die of any cause? So someone who spends all day watching TV is more like to be killed in an avalanche whilst skiing than anyone else? Amazing bit of research that, probably the avalanche will be a result of the heart disease....

Anyway, I'm off for a mars bar supper and to catch up on some TV.

2. Ragarath
    Coat

What an awesome story

I also conclude from this that if you sit in more than 1 lecture a day at Uni / College / Where-ever then you also have a higher risk.

What about the people that sit for 4 hours or more and do nothing? Or those that sit for 4 or more and shock horror also exercise at some point?

Useless study is well erm useless. Who pays these people?

Bah I was sucked in... coat please.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

Students

...pah, the students of today...I spent most of my lectures asleep/drinking, not studying... :-)

Does that count as sitting (bad for you) or sleeping (good for you)?

Also, I'm a cyclist now, so regularly spend 3-4hrs sitting (bad)... and exercising (good). Do they cancel each other out?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Everyone dies!

Until someone invents a cure for death, it's going to happen to us all. It's only question of when and how.

More deep fried mars bars please.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Somebody had better tell all the gyms to turf out their tellies, then

or maybe a more direct measure of indolence is needed here...

5. Peter Bond
    Unhappy

You don't need a study

to tell you that a large chunk of the British population is obese, sedentary and ignorant....just take a walk down the high street and look about you.

6. Jim 59

VDU

Er. We all spend 8 hours a day in front of computer screens at work.

7. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Coat

Screen sitting

I must sit in front of a screen in excess of 8 hours at least 5 days a week. Should I be dead already?

Or...

I spend far too long at work stressing and under immense pressure, therefore I don't have time for couches, TV or computer games; will I live forever?

8. PhallusOfJustice

@Peter Bond

Surely the problem is that they are not walking down the high street?

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Jesus wept! Call out the guard!

Seriously, "Sitting on yer arse all day doing next to no physical movements will lead you to being a fat, lazy bastard who will die of something fat, lazy bastards die off."

Well bugger me with a fish fork!

The HR dept where I am nags us at least once every 6 months about sitting on our arses at the screens all day, telling us to re-focus every 5 mins and get off our backsides once an hour for 5 minutes, this is hardly news is it?

Welcome back to 18th Century thinking, where we the workers are held in the 'dark satanic mills' of the 21st Century!

1. Chemist

Reminds me ..

that someone a long time ago (17 or 18th century I think ) said " make time for exercise now or time for illness later"

10. Z80

@Ragarath

"Or those that sit for 4 or more and shock horror also exercise at some point?"

The study took physical activity into account. How do I know this? Well there are these thing called hyperlinks you see...

11. marcinski
    FAIL

Sloppy sloppy

Double? From how much? Does my risk increase from 1/100 to 2/100? Or 20/100 to 40/100?

Let's not talk relative increases, El Reg, please can we have the actual numbers and not sensationalist daily mirror attention grabbing? Accurate it may be, but clearly misleading. Give us the actual science, we can handle it.

PS fatties LOL

1. Elmer Phud

Missing Data?

Yerst, there's a lot left out - Well, I hope it was left out and not even considered in the first place.

I would hazard a guess that over 50% of Reg readers sit easily in the 'on arse most of the day' part of the data but not all will be shoving down pizza and Coke and Red Bull and sweets and all those other seemingly minor things that will also contribute to heart disease --

-- nearly forgot, multiple-occupancy workplace also doesn't allow 40 a day --- those at work in an office will get exercise trying to keep warm hopping about outside the fire escape door while on thier 'comfort' break.

1. Chemist

"'on arse most of the day'"

All the more reason to have sufficient exercise if you do have a sedentary job. Even some quite intelligent people think that exercise is merely an aid to loosing weight whereas exercise, reasonable weight and diet are all independent markers for longevity.

12. Darryl

From the department of obviousityness

What's the next study they're going to commission? Checking on the death/injury rates of people who stand in the middle of busy roads as compared to those who don't?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Darwin

"In other words, stupid people are more likely to get heart disease than clever people".

So; stupid lardarses will die quicker, can't see any downside to that. Good old natural selection.

14. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Boffin

Is it the TV or the chair?

I could never find 4 hours for TV because I'm working at my computer for at least 8 hours.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like