back to article Google pinpoints bugs that send texts to wrong people

Google has acknowledged a pair of Android bugs that end up sending texts to the wrong recipients, saying it plans to deploy fixes for each. On Thursday, in a post to the Android support forums, the company said that user complaints over misdirected texts stem from not one but two bugs. The complaints date back to at least June …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Android's QA

is apparently crowd-sourced to the users. Very googly indeed...

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

WTF?

"We've found in testing this issue, it is more likely to occur if you tap on a message before the Messaging app is fully loaded, so we recommend waiting for all the elements to load before clicking on the message you want to display."

Shades of Windows, you log on, it shows you the desktop but then you have to wait 2 minutes while it does everything in the background.

Ever heard of a 'Please Wait' dialogue?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

The whole "instant on" propoganda circus

Which would certainly be /nice/ (if it was true), but in the end, how many of us have lives that are genuinely so valuable that waiting a few seconds to send a text will be such a loss? (I can think of a few situations when enforcing a few seconds thinking time before you can hit send would work out for the better!)

It is a bit like all these people roaring home madly on the roads with little heed for other road uses as if they are going to do anything more when they get home than slob in front of the TV watching churn.

2. Charles Manning

Suck on lemon

Waiting a second or two for the app to fully open up is a work around for the current buggy software. Displaying "Please wait" is not a workaround because it requires a software change.

Now that the problem has been identified it can be/has been fixed properly.

If you worked on any projects I do you'd have been fired long ago!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Charles, you missed the point

Displaying a "Please Wait" dialogue was not proposed as a workaround, but as a feature that should have been included from the start and would have avoided people clicking around before the thing was bloody ready in the first place.

1. Law
          Happy

and you also miss a point

They didn't know there was a bug like this - had they known, they may have added a please wait.

I'm pretty sure hitting the notification bar link also caused the bug for me a few times, so probably need to stop using the notification link too... :(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Wasn't email figured out decades ago?

I just checked the RFCs and couldn't find any requirement to send mail to the wrong recipient. Must be a spiffy new Google feature.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

That's nice

The article's about text messages. Otherwise, you're made of win.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Well f**k me sideways you're right...

...and I feel suitably chastised. Looking at all the downward pointing thumbs I now know how the Christians felt in the Colosseum.

4. thecakeis(not)alie

As a fandroid I...

...don't actually care. Had my carrier block text messages. It's grand!

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Well another reason...

...to keep my bottom of the range, 5 year old moto (cost £10 then)

It makes calls extremely well, it sends texts perefectly well, has good battery life (still 2 weeks standby after all these years), has decent alarm clock that not only can cope with year changes, but even leap years.

Well, don't you love "advances" in technology.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not for me

Whoever designed my bottom of the range nokia decided it would be a good idea to combine 'Send' and 'Spell' (for predictive text) on the same button and hot-swap them as you cycle through possible words. Which means you either end up sending a half-written message ending in gibberish, or accidentally end up sending a message to the first person in your address book. Which as sods law dictates, is always someone you really don't want seeing said message.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Not for me

The first person in my address book has been aaaaa with a bogus number for quite some time...helps a bit with in-pocket dialling too.

2. mccp

Arghh!! - this is a reply, why do I need a title??

We seem to be missing a trick here.

What is the mildly derogatory epithet that can be used to describe an ancient phone that does phonecallsandtextsperfectlywellthankyouverymuch? We have the well known Jesus phone, Crackberry, Googlephone and others, I'm sure, but nothing to describe the perfectly functional Nokia 6110 of yesteryear.

While we're about it, maybe a name for the fans of said fones would be useful.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How bout

acronymising "Old Functional Usable and Completely Knackered" phone...

2. Shonko Kid
        FAIL

How about

'Phone' and 'Normal people'

1. mccp

Oh dear...

I seem to have jangled a nerve slightly.

It just doesn't seem right to me that a significant population of comentards who pop up to jeer (in a possibly troll-like manner) whenever a smartphone 'feature' is exposed don't have a label whereas others (and I include myself in the mactard/fanboi/ifan/jesusphone category) do.

That is all.

6. Tigra 07
    IT Angle

What bug?

I have 6000 sent messages and have never experienced this bug.

Does it only affect you when you write a new message rather than adding to an existing conversation string?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

It's an extremely rare bug

But the Apple braindead have all clambered over the bug report with "me too" posts... All rather pathetic.

1. swansong

keep dreaming.

Actually, 2 people I work with had this happen to them last week, both on the same day. They have the Droid Incredible. It is happening more than people realize. Face it... google and it's partners CAN make mistakes people. Google is NOT god or flawless.

2. Neil Livesey
      Alert

People need to open their eyes I think.

Its when your adding to a new conversation, I'm not quite sure how people are missing the fact a different conversation loads tho! First few times I thought it was because I tapped the conversation below by mistake have since realised its loading conversations that were off the screen so no error of mine. But still open your eyes people.

7. bazza Silver badge
    FAIL

Bug fix? Yeah right

So Google have found a couple of bugs. Presuming Google actually fix those bugs, how long before the update rolls out to each and every Android phone / slab out there? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month?

Android's biggest problem is that such an update won't make it to the majority of users because the manufacturers and network operators won't / can't / don't want to push updates out. They'd far rather you bought another phone. Sounds like a rip off to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Yep

That's why I bought a Nexus One. Yet here I am, waiting for a "delayed" 2.3 update. By delayed, I mean waiting for the exclusivity agreement Google no doubt have with Samsung for the Nexus S to end.

My Magic would still be on 1.6 if it weren't for community ROMs. Android is an awesome OS, but the operators/manufacturers are ruining it with delayed updates.

As for the N1, the official developer phone not getting 2.3 yet, I think it's a disgrace. I think dev's should set the max SDK version to 2.2 until their N1's are updated. Google's new phone won't look so pretty if all the apps disappeared until the N1 is updated.

If Google are delaying releases now too, there's no hope for the operators/manufacturers to stop. I really hope Cyanogen releases a 2.3 ROM before the official OTA, that would be embarrassing for Google. Delayed indeed.

I'm off to the pub, rant over. :-)

8. Tempest
    Pint

Google's honesty a credit

Again Google, in detailing the bugs and their causes, demonstrates a more mature attitude than another smartphone manufacturer who pretends it is perfect.

Have they fixed the clock errors yet?

1. David Beeston

Do you mean apple?

Yes they fixed the clock error in the most recent release. They also fixed the random error with people who were > 77 years old bug with the birthday calendar.

2. Oliver 7

U wot?

Many people have been complaining about these bugs for more than half a year and Google have only now acknowledged that it even exists and prioritised a fix. Given the number of Google employees who must own Android phones, surely they must have known about it? It intermittently affects my Hero, ended up sending a (thankfully innocuous) text to my ex instead of the wife. Serious bug!

And saying that you should check the recipient before sending is fine, but when you select 'send text' from someone's contact details you really should expect that it goes to them. Now we have to see if the fractured Android eco-system will really be a handicap, e.g. I now have to wait for HTC to issue a fix for the Hero on 2.1, how likely is that?

9. __PB__

I'm used to it

After two different (lower end) android phones in 6 months I've become used to waiting a bit before trying to use any feature.

My favourite is when the phone comes out of being locked you shouldn't check the clock for a few seconds because it will still be showing the time the phone was locked.

Roll on july when I can upgrade to a basic Nokia again!

1. Tigra 07
      Happy

RE: _PB_

Maybe you should buy a slightly higher end HTC then?

I've never experienced any of the bugs mentioned yet on my X10i, that includes this texting one, the clock one, the marketplace bug for X10 or any other.

Lucky me

10. ukbabz

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

Theres a similar bug when flicking through the HTC message widget, if you just click on the message when the widget loads, then it often loads an older message instead. If you dont look at who you are sending too, it may be the wrong person.

However, If you click new message it doesnt cause an issue. Bit of a faff but if your sending messages with content only for your significant other, you'd be a bit dense not to check its them its going too..

11. gav_taylor
    FAIL

the real question here is how will they deploy the fix?

its all well and good they have found and fixed the bug. The Android developer has confirmed it has been replicated and now fixed and they will deploy the patch as soon as possible.

Great! but how?

Google are currently unable to release updates to users (except Nexus 1/S owners) without manufacturers and network carriers getting in the way.

Google release the patch... the device manufacturer get it, play with it, tweak it, change it, customise it, sit on it, 6 months later release it... Network carriers then get it, sit on it, customise it, fill it with pointless apps and demos, sit on it, release it... by this time 12 months later I have bought a new phone.

This is a serious issue that really needs resolving, There is a discussion going on on the VillainRom forum about this (see http://bit.ly/fDGHPV)

12. swansong

hahaha

Nothing like this ever happened on my iPhone or WP7 :) Google should be thanking Apple for only being on 1 carrier in most places so people actually felt the need to buy their crap.

13. Neil Livesey
    WTF?

I'm well aware of the bug

You would have to be pretty stupid if the whole time you are writing a message that you don't realise a different message has loaded. Its annoying but not once have I sent the message to the wrong person, I'm not sure how people are missing it. Is gonna happen to me tonight I can tell. The message just sending to the wrong person is a bit more of a worry!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like