back to article Fujitsu aims Sparc64 supers beyond Japan

Japanese supercomputer maker Fujitsu is looking to export massively parallel RISC supers based on the 10 petaflops Project K machine it's building for the Japanese government. According to a report in the Yomiuri Shimbun, Fujitsu is gearing up to export supercomputers based on the K machine this year. The obvious place for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Great Idea !

American hegemony in CPUs is not good. If Europe only had the same resolve we had with the Airbus project, not just Boeing and Autodesk would respect us, but also Intel and Google.

Some kind of intense cooperation in supercomputing with Japan could result in Eurofighter sales sucess ?

2. ChrisInAStrangeLand
    Black Helicopters

Aint get no respect.

Europe DID have a nationalist search engine project, Quaero. For obvious reasons It failed miserably. Eurofighter also isn't a success outside of Europe, where manufacturing partner nations are obliged to buy. Something about expensive, late, unreliable, and being the size of a barn on radar.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

@ChrisInAStrangeLand

The Eurofighter is the most successful latest-generation aircraft and has been sold in a big deal to Arabia and a smaller deal to Austria; it defends the borders of Europe in Estonia against the very real threat of the Su-34. America has NOT deployed the F-22, despite the magical claims made.

The Euro-Leopard is the mainstay of European land forces and would defend the east of Europe against an armoured incursion by T-80/90 tanks. Thyssen-Krupp/Komkums is making subs which defend the freedom from Göteborg to Singapore.

MAN/Skoda/SEAT/VW/Scania are challenging Toyota's number one position with equal quality and business success. The Volkswagen group is already more European than Airbus.

Airbus is a huge success story, as is Dassault Systeme's Catia. But all of that does not mesh with Anglosaxon/UKUSA dreams of world domination, and that is why Langley feeds everybody who bothers to listen with that "Europe is bad, bad authoritarian communism" meme.

Meanwhile the people who suffer the unchecked banksters want to chop the head of the future British Monarch... When will you wake up to the reality ??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alert

Re: @ChrisInAStrangeLand

All this sounds like the ravings of a EuroPork advocate: massive backhanders to privileged corporations who promise to make "European business world-class" but who actually manage to tilt the competitive landscape away from anyone actually wanting to get stuff done without having their hands in the sizeable EU purse all the time.

I don't doubt that there are some corporations who get stuff done in Europe, but it's interesting how they sit around soaking up EU grants until, say, some upstart like SpaceX or the rather more established Scaled Composites actually goes and does stuff like actually launch spacecraft mostly on their own initiative, and then it's all "We've got a design for that, too, let us build it!" from the likes of EADS, with their hands out for more bail-outs and funding for design studies. "We know it must be possible - let us consider how! Look at these renderings!" How about looking at what other people are damned well doing in real life?

But anyway, EU funding: not a bad idea in principle, just not a good one when people start nominating "industry champions" as if they're picking their fantasy football team, which is probably how some of the politicians involved like to see it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Flame

Re: AC, EU Champions

I am not receiving the comissions of any industry lobby group or any large EU corporation mentioned. Neither does my employer have any relation to them. My job is financial data querying/distributing and my employer's customers are banks.

I only have a somewhat logically functioning mind and functioning memory. In the past I bought quite a bit of the BS the american and british media is producing in nice prose all the time. I admit it took time to read between the lines and to see through all that civilised-englishmen-fighting-for-the-good-by-installing-the-shah-and-thugs-while-protecting-BP-interest-you-are-a-nazi-if-you-disagree.

Also, I can see the facts, and these do definitely not look good for Britain and America. Whether French and German industrial policy is fair to bankers and entrepreneuers does not rob my sleep. What matter to me is the the common man and woman who lives in France and the common man and woman who live in Britain and the U.S. It seems to me that France is a much more civilized place than the U.K. or the U.S.A. Because you get housing when you need it and because your teeth are fixed before every single tooth has to become black and being pulled. Call me a commie, call me whatever you like, but France is not the tyranny you Anglos are making it.

Yeah, it might be quite paternalistic and elitist in the executive section, but if you look up the definition of paternalism, it is about looking for the kids on the street. Looking for their teeth. Yeah, that's good and it does not affect your ability to say whatever you like.

And industrial politics works, whether it is fair or unfair does not matter if it keeps a marvellous system like the French system at work. To paraphrase somebody "industrial policy is the worst of all economic policies, except for all others". China is doing it, France is doing it, Germany is doing it, Sweden is doing it, only in UK-USA the banksters want The Freedom To Loot The People. And they still get it. Let the experiment continue.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like