back to article Microsoft invents touch-sensitive mouse

Microsoft says it's Touch Mouse - a input rodent with a touch-sensitive top surface - came out of a programme to research how "mouse 2.0" might appear. We're certain it did, but we'd also suggest the company could have saved itself an R&D buck or two by buying an Apple Magic Mouse and copying it. Bottom line: it's a mouse that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LaeMing
    Badgers

Gestures

Most of the gestures I use with my PC are more suited to a Kinnect-like sensor than a touch plate.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

£70?!

Oh please, they must know that everyone is going to rip into them as Apple's Magic Mouse is cheaper...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What similarity?

This is nothing like the magic mouse at all. The magic mouse is white and costs £13 less!

4. Ian 62

Patent trolling, where are they now?

Ummm.... With all the nonsense of patent trolling and IP licencing and all the rest of it. Which lets face it, are people trying to cash in on not doing any work.

At first glance this looks like a copy of something that already exists and does the same thing. Someone somewhere has ACTUALLY made this, its prior art fairly clearly exists.

A patent for a 'multi-touch external GUI pointing device' actually might exist as a real patent. Far better than the patenting of a 'process' that seems the current trend.

You'd have thought patent lawyers would be all over this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ahh.. Prior Art

I remember those days when it actually had any bearing on a patent validity...

2. David Ward 1

Apple didn't invent multitouch

You are assuming that apple actually invented things any more. If that were the case, your statement would be on the money. Unfortunately the IP for multi-touch and its applications lies in a complex web of companies including apple (bought from fingerworks) and patents that Microsoft secured from Nokia and Philips research Labs in about 06, they just haven't done much with it until now.

5. Rupert Stubbs

It's wildly different

Looks like the MS version supports using the sides for thumb actions as well. Unfortunately, there's a very good reason that Apple didn't do this on the Magic Mouse, as you need a reasonable grip on the mouse to use the finger swipes...

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Steve Ives
    Paris Hilton

What Apple should do now...

is to make the Windows drivers for the Magic Mouse available stand-alone.

Paris - because she likes touching too.

8. Bilgepipe
    Gates Horns

Wow

Wow, a touch-sensitive mouse. Why did no-one this of this before. Jobs must have been asleep at the wheel.

1. hplasm
      Gates Horns

Ah-

But there is no wheel...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rip Off yes....

...but I doubt they'll rip of Apple's RSI enducing design. MS mice are usually pretty bloody good and good to use for a long time. One thing they DO get right.

10. iamapizza
    Gates Horns

Aww

What tangled webs they weave. I'll bet Balmer was miffed when Apple invented video calling*.

*Yes, they actually said this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Source?

Can we have it please?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Hmmm

Made by Microsoft eh? A company well known for the "security" of their systems.

How long until a vulnerability is exposed that allows someone to pwn the mouse and take over the entire computer?!?

12. JDX Gold badge

mmmm

It looks pretty, like the ship in Flight of the Navigator.

13. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

No!

Hold on. MS' is black while Apple's is white!

So don't suggest MS have run out of ideas!

14. Steve Evans

Oh please...

Stopping copying Apple mice... As with most things fruit themed, Apple mice are renowned for being a triumph of form over function. Being completely horrible to use before they fall apart.

Best thing I ever did to a Mac was put a Logitech onto it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Unequivocal bollocks.

The 'Magic' Mouse (yes, shit name) is a fantastic mouse. It's well made and surprisingly comfortable to use. It also has the bonus of not needing Logitech malware installed to run. Seriously, the only other mouse vendor to bother considering is Microsoft. Apple's previous Mighty Mouse was decent too, if flawed by the muck gathering ball. The only complaint I have about the 'Magic' (It really *is* a shit name) Mouse is that it sucks batteries dry too quickly.

1. Steve Evans

So...

You don't find the "scroll" ball clogging up with dust and failing within a few months a problem?

I could put up with it *if* the mighty mouse could be taken apart and cleaned, but it can't. Needless to say I didn't fancy handing over cash every few months to Apple for a new badly designed uncomfortable mouse, so got the logitech. I have no idea why you refer to the logitech software as malware, I've never had any problem with it, and I've used logitechs for more years than I can remember. Some of the mice are that old too, and still working.

15. Haku
    Stop

Call me old fashioned

but I generally like my buttons on keyboards and mice (and tv's!), along with scroll wheels, to be tactile and responsive - I dislike trying to type on touchscreens, I'm touch typing this on a physical keyboard but I don't believe I would be able to type nearly as fast and easy on a touchscreen keyboard as they're a bit of an oxymoron, you have to look where your fingers are to type and make sure you're not making any mistakes.

16. Watashi

Touchpad

Oh, thank goodness. The number of times I've joyfully used my laptop's touchpad thinking "if only I could get a touchpad for my PC". Now I can. Carpal tunnel syndrome here I come!

1. squilookle
      Joke

Re: Touchpad

So this mouse was your idea?

I'll get my coat.

17. Samuel Walker
    Thumb Up

Magic Mouse Ripoff?

Perhaps, but MS's version looks a lot more ergonomic than Apple's attempt. Perhaps that is why it's more expensive - they actually want it to be comfortable.

1. JaimieV

MS do make decent mice

but for touch gestures, having a flattish surface like the Apple mouse probably gives a much easier platform to make fingerswipes, even if it is less comfortable. The MS mouse being taller and having a more curved touch surface (with a split in) will interfere with finger movement more, I think.

Shall have to try one and see. £13 for an extra button seems a bit stiff though!

18. Nya
    Badgers

Pricing

Actually pricing wouldn't normally work out that bad. Need to remember what figure MS usually puts on things for it's RRP is such a high figure that retailers don't go anywhere near it. On average most things are sold at about 30% less than MS's RRP prices. Would figure when it becomes available this will be around about £49 mark for most retailers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like