back to article Microsoft powers up 'wallless' data center

Microsoft will soon fire up a state-of-the art data center in its home state of Washington, after receiving a tax break from local politicos. The company has promised to open what it calls one of its "most innovative new data centers" in Quincy, Washington early this year. The center is expected to host services such as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

If it's got no walls

it presumably can't have windows either.

Which of those coats is mine?

2. ElNumbre

Outside servers

I ran a HP server out in the shed for a while about 2 years ago. It worked fine through the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter, right up to the point mice decided it made a warm cosy place to call home.

So I wonder how they'll address the 'bugs' in the machine?

1. Mark Cathcart

Raise your weapon!

ahh thats where Deadmau5 got his name...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Don't they mean...

Washington needs Steve Jobs?

Mine's the one with an iPad dragging down an oversize pocket.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The underlying problem

All this technology stuff doesn't grow the economy. To make data centers uses up resources, sure there will be a few jobs to build the center, but that's it.

datacenters don't produce, food, or oil, or gold, they use it up

blockbuster movies don't produce, food, or oil, or gold, they use it up

an ipod, ipad isn't going to bring the price of wheat down

Of course your welcome to disagree with me, but on a long enough timeline, the math is going to bite you in the rear. We've become too Dependant on electronic devices, and the powers that be are exploiting the same electronics and physics against us. How many people will have their life ruined by this new data center when it's abused, or breeched?

Nevermind, I am back to scanning boxes for the 2004 gdi exploit....

1. Kubla Cant

@pengwyn

"datacenters don't produce, food, or oil, or gold, they use it up".

I don't think datacentres eat much, and the amount of gold used is fairly small. In any case, why would you want to produce gold? Its value is largely symbolic. Check out 15th-century Spain for evidence that lots of gold isn't good for the economy.

What you seem to be saying is that the only worthwhile industrial activity is primary production (food, oil, gold, wheat etc). This is fine as long as you're happy to live in the sort of economy that was the norm in 500 AD.

5. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Flame

Combinations

Datacenter by Microsoft.

Datacenter OS by UNIX...

6. The Dodoman
    Grenade

No food from Datacenters?

"datacenters don't produce, food, or oil, or gold, they use it up".

Sure they produce food.. I feed my 2 kids with my datacenter job.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like