back to article Amazon Kindles love for Windows and Android

Amazon has announced its 'Buy Once, Read Anywhere' Kindle app will soon be available on Android and Windows based tablets. Amazon Kindle The app, which allows customers to read Kindle books on alternate devices, has already become one of the top ten free apps for iPad. This year will see Amazon increase compatibility and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mfraz

Just need..

Them to support the last remaining platform - Linux.

Seeing as it seems to be taking ages for them to update Amazonmp3 for Ubuntu 10.10 I will not be holding my breath.

1. Squirrel
      Unhappy

I find it amusing

mainly because the Kindle device runs linux but they won't provide a desktop version of the software. I also believes it runs on java just for the extra slap in the face.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I much prefer

EPUB's "Buy Anywhere, Read Once model".

I don't like single supplier, charge what we want once we have the market controlled policy that Amazon are adopting. Clearly current pricing is a huge loss-leader. Expect it to end very soon....

1. AF
      Go

Re: EPUB

See, that's exactly what I thought. Until I get tired of having to wander round all the Epub sites checking if the book I wanted was a) available and b) cheaper. And then having to contend with using Adobe Digital Editions. And not being able to easily transfer a book from my reader to my wife's or my iPhone. In the end, for all its openess, Epub just ended up being a whole lot of hassle.

I wanted to hate the Kindle. I much prefer my Sony PRS-505 in terms of hardware. But the Amazon experience is far, far superior - no faffing about with checking prices for starters. I'm not one of the folk who think ebooks should only cost pennies, so if it's the same price as physical, or less, I'm happy. Buy the book right there on your Kindle, or via the website and choose which device(s) to receive it. To send the same book to another device, just go to the website again and resend it. And as for the whole "wireless bookmarking" thing - so useful, if not essential when you read the same book on multiple devices (e.g. on the e-ink reader normally, but on a phone while standing on a platform / waiting at the Post Office etc).

I really hate to say this, but in my experience the Kindle just... works.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

??? OK then...

I use EPUB all the time, never needed to content with (or even install) Adobe Digital Editions.

I buy the EPUB, download it and copy it to the reader using Sony Library, it's a doddle, the missus has no problems.

Even renting free EPUBs from the library is painless... The Kindle will never be able to do that..

I really have no idea what you are on about.

3. Mark Randall 1
    FAIL

Hardly Anywhere

There's more than one "last remaining platform". Don't forget every other ebook reader available which isn't a kindle. It's a very long way from "read anywhere" at the moment. Currently just "read anywhere" Amazon decides to support.

4. Jelliphiish

elonex 1x1000 android 2.1

doesn't work on that. dl from market, install, run. it sits on the screen with the silhouette of person reading.. does nothing else..

also: @ mfraz.. which version of linux would you be meaning?.. android is a version of linux .. it works on some apparently..

1. ThomH

Works well on my Nexus One

Though even OLED doesn't touch E Ink for comfort. It's a step up from the iPhone LCD though.

5. Spanners Silver badge
    Pint

Other E-Readers

How about a nook app as well?

If one could get a number of different readers on one device, I migh have an excuse to get one.

It would also help prevent too much market dominance. Then if anyone else wanted to get into eBooks, they would just need to make an Android app.

6. Fizzl
    Welcome

Android?

But I already have it on my android phone, I thought the tablets were using the same OS with a bigger screen? Surely there is no need for a separate version.

I've always had a great tradition of stealing my sisters books once she has read them, this has continued after she got a Kindle by using the Android app and her account! Next up is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

7. oldgit

Already fine on Android Tablets

I have two Android tablets and the Kindle for Android phones works fine on both of them. It's not an app that requires any scaling up from the phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like