back to article Canon Pixma MG-5250 Wi-Fi all-in-one inkjet printer

Canon has launched so many photo all-in-ones recently that only a handful of people outside Canon seem to be able to tell one from another. One thing I can say, though, is that if you go shopping for the Pixma MG-5250 to print your Christmas pics on, you shouldn’t be disappointed. Canon Pixma MG-5250 Canon's Pixma MG-5250 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stewart Wood
    FAIL

There is a Driver feature -> Duplex Printing

Alot of the Pixma printers have the ability to Print Both sides of the page

Yes a little option in the drivers allows this printer to re-suck up the page it just printed flip it over and Print the other side too

But it seems these days most people go unaware what little Extras the drivers carry of there printers since some printers the drivers of other brands don't give much options

were cannon give a lot of driver options to play with

1. David Gosnell

Duplex

However if it's like older Canon Pixmas, for some reason it won't use the black ink in duplex mode - I believe because it bleeds too much. "Black" ends up the muddy combination of all the colours instead. Of course, with ever-improving pigment inks, this limitation may no longer apply.

2. mfraz

Think I'll stick with my HP

Going to stick with my HP C309g for now as it has a proper network connection, bluetooth which means I can print from my phone without any extra software. Plus it works with Linux with HP's HPLIP.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Ink prices

What I'd like to know is where you're buying a complete ink set for £25?! I've seen complete sets for around the £49 mark, and CMY sets for £25, but nothing cheaper than that sadly. Care to share?

Looks like a very tempting printer, though...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scanner

Does the Scanner offer Scan to HD or Card? Its pointless having a wifi printer if you need the USB cable to scan!!

Still waiting for a printer that does what I want...

5. Mark .
    FAIL

Symbian and the rest of us?

Yawn, another manufacturer ignoring the large majority of phone users, including the number one smartphone platform. And what happened to the days of a simple J2ME app that works on anything? It's like we've gone backwards.

It's like providing printer software for Linux and OS X, but not Windows. (And even when companies provide software for Windows but not Linux or OS X, there's still an outcry.)

I'd rather have a printer that provides features for everyone, not wasting money on cheap gimmicks for a minority of Iphone users.

6. JaitcH
    Unhappy

How many multi-function machines have you encountered where a function has failed?

My experience is that, like Jack of all trades, multi-functions are as never as accomplished as dedicated, single function, machines. There are always compromises in some function.

1. Tempest
      Unhappy

Psst ... Want a Fax/Copier/Printer - no Fax/Copy function. Going cheap!

I have this combo unit in my junk cupboard. Everything was great until the scanner went bad - now it's only a printer.

Never again!

7. Alan Firminger

Maximun width of output

The printer appears to be 297 mm wide, perhaps just 11.5 ins . I think we should be told.

8. Rolf Howarth
    Black Helicopters

Buy a laser instead

I can't comment about the pros and cons of this particular printer as opposed to any other inkjet but my general advice is... don't buy an inkjet, buy a colour laser instead! Unless you do a lot of printing, a laser printer is much, MUCH cheaper!!

I probably print no more than about 20 pages a month at home at most. I used to have inkjet printers of various brands but was forever buying new cartridges because they'd dry out, produce stripey printouts, clog up, spurt out tons of ink in pointless "cleaning" cycles, etc.

The typical lifecycle of an inkjet printer was: buy printer (£150), buy new set of cartridges every six months (£50 for a full set), after 2 years throw printer away because it was crap and still produced crap printouts despite brand new full set of cartridges. Repeat. Total cost: £300 every 2 years, and lots of frustration.

Then, 2 years ago I bought a colour laser printer (£250). Still using the original toner cartridges and barely made a dent in the supply levels. I fully expect to still be using that printer in 2 or 3 years time.

Unless you print a lot of full page glossy colour photos or can guarantee to use it regularly enough that you never dry out the ink jets, a laser printer is better in every respect: cheaper, faster, better quality, and the ink doesn't smudge if it gets wet.

1. Rolf Howarth

PS.

Oh, and the real clincher was how hard the manager at Staples or Office World, don't remember which, tried to convince me that an inkjet printer was what I really wanted. You can tell where they make their money!

9. Neoc

Meh.

No page feed into the scanner - I'll stick with my old MP-series Pixma.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like