back to article E-voting as secure as an insecure thing

Twelve councils are piloting voting over the internet in the local elections on Thursday, and the government has accepted there may be security problems with the system. The Department of Constitutional Affairs (DCA) says it is aware of security holes, but still reckons it will be secure enough. A briefing note from the DCA …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Name

Inaccurate

Warwick and Stratford District Councils aren't piloting internet voting, they're using machines to count ballot papers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

e-voting != online voting

It's quite scary that the ``e-voting co-ordinator" doesn't know what e-voting is. E-voting or electronic voting does not mean online voting, it most certainly includes online voting but it is not limited to. Thus e-voting is not necessarily ``done at home" as John Kitkat puts it.

3. Steve Evans

Ooooh

As this is a test, does that mean we're free to all have a go at breaking it?

I give it about 3 minutes to live.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kitkat?

Jason Kitkat? Is that really his name?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Kitkat?

"Jason Kitkat? Is that really his name?"

He's had to put up with that all his life. Give the guy a Break.

(... commencing coat retrieval ...)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much easier

I live in Rushmoor, and I've just 'iVoted' :-) Much easier than going down to the polling station, and probably wouldn't have bothered without iVote. The most difficult part was remembering the 10 character username sent back to the council to register for iVote. Don't think it would be easy to 'nick' someones vote as you need the username, DoB and the 10 digit 'Voter ID Number' from the polling card. Thumbs up from me.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How secure are traditional channels?

..."at least as secure as traditional channels" is not saying much.

Today I walked into a Polling Station without a polling card (having mislaid mine), gave an address and a name and was given ballot papers, which I duly used to vote in the elections.

No checks whatsoever were made of my identity.

In the event, it was my own name and address, but it could just as easily have been somebody else's.

8. BS

Follow-up: How secure are traditional channels?

> Today I walked into a Polling Station without a

> polling card (having mislaid mine)

You don't need a polling card to vote.

This topic is closed for new posts.